British Speedway Forum
chris1

Newport V Buxton - Nl Playoff 29/10

Main Man, thanks for replying. Something certainly needs to be done for 2011 (if the play-offs continue. I really don't see the need for them in the National League).

My suggestion would be each club setting aside reserved dates throughout September and the first half of October. E.g. this year, the deadline for the play-offs was Sept 12, so each club should have reserved dates during Sept 16-22 for the first leg of the semis, and Sept 23-29 for the second leg. For the final, each club, should have reserved dates of Sept 30-Oct 6 & Oct 7-13 for the two legs, depending on which they end up staging. Clubs can only put other meetings on in these weeks, once they are out of the play-offs, or was its known that their home leg is not being staged that week.

The aim has to be finish the play-offs by mid-October. The second half of October should be for emergencies only.

All the best

Rob

And this is what I believe is called 'using common sense' which would therefore be highly unsuitable for anything connected with the running of the NL :rolleyes:

Edited by ancient mariner

As for running today we would have loved to but with the NLRC taking precendence couldn't. As I have said believe me we wanted a home leg not just an away one. Perhaps the National Trophy, if it runs in 2011, should be raced after the League has been settled and sorted ? Surely the league is the most important and paramount competition ?

Interesting. So the disgraceful decision to cancel the NLRC previously not only meant the Fours never happened but also make a mockery of the Play Off Final...

As I've said before, Rye House must NEVER be allowed to stage a third tier 'shared event' again... That's assuming there are such things in the future...

Main Man, thanks for replying. Something certainly needs to be done for 2011 (if the play-offs continue. I really don't see the need for them in the National League).

My suggestion would be each club setting aside reserved dates throughout September and the first half of October. E.g. this year, the deadline for the play-offs was Sept 12, so each club should have reserved dates during Sept 16-22 for the first leg of the semis, and Sept 23-29 for the second leg. For the final, each club, should have reserved dates of Sept 30-Oct 6 & Oct 7-13 for the two legs, depending on which they end up staging. Clubs can only put other meetings on in these weeks, once they are out of the play-offs, or was its known that their home leg is not being staged that week.

The aim has to be finish the play-offs by mid-October. The second half of October should be for emergencies only.

All the best

Rob

I thought that all clubs did that...I'm surprised if they don't.

Scunthorpe fixture list always includes gaps in it's fixture list reserved for any successes in any competition and it's on there from March onwards. They're website is always up-to-date and informative for supporters and visitors alike. They're running two teams but still manage to work things out - and have double headers to make running two teams more viable.

One thing if the rumours are correct, that have come from several different sources at Newport, is that the Hornets won't find themselves caught up in this mess next year. It is unlikely there will be a Hornets team.

One thing if the rumours are correct, that have come from several different sources at Newport, is that the Hornets won't find themselves caught up in this mess next year. It is unlikely there will be a Hornets team.

This is so disheartening...Promotions using this sort of thing to hold the NDL and the BSPA to ransom.

Newport have proved that having a second team can work to their advantage to enable them to find their own talent for their PL team but as soon as a few (sensible) rules are in place that they don't want to abide by they threaten to leave!

I hope that today's(?) meeting of NDL promoters has a good outcome and these 'mind games' are stopped.

It's so disheartening to read these sorts of comments/rumours from Newport... and is, perhaps, one of the reasons that this level of Speedway is poorly supported. If supporters are left worrying at the end of every season whether there will be a team to support why bother? If the promoters aren't supporting it positively why should supporters?

This is so disheartening...Promotions using this sort of thing to hold the NDL and the BSPA to ransom.

Newport have proved that having a second team can work to their advantage to enable them to find their own talent for their PL team but as soon as a few (sensible) rules are in place that they don't want to abide by they threaten to leave!

I hope that today's(?) meeting of NDL promoters has a good outcome and these 'mind games' are stopped.

It's so disheartening to read these sorts of comments/rumours from Newport... and is, perhaps, one of the reasons that this level of Speedway is poorly supported. If supporters are left worrying at the end of every season whether there will be a team to support why bother? If the promoters aren't supporting it positively why should supporters?

Nothing to do with holding anyone to ransom, just financial.

Edited by firesam

Have to agree with Firesam, the crowds have been very poor for the Hornets meetings. This was a shame as the side has been been so successful and the racing exciting. Yes loosing the Hornets would be a financial decision, nothing else.

1) how is this holding anyone "to ransom";

2) what on earth are these "few (sensible) rules [that] are in place that they don't want to abide by...".. :blink:

I'm sure all of us whould like to know - coz frankly you've totally lost me here!!!! :shock:

with the possibility of fewer teams running in the NL next season fixture congestion wont be a problem. :(

Edited by cityrebel

1) how is this holding anyone "to ransom";

2) what on earth are these "few (sensible) rules [that] are in place that they don't want to abide by...".. :blink:

I'm sure all of us whould like to know - coz frankly you've totally lost me here!!!! :shock:

Hmm, seems even scribbler doesn't understand her previous posting...!!!