British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tigers_chick

The Moran Brothers

Kelly Moran will be riding in the 2003 season in New York !

Check out this great USA/Candian web site for more information.

I plan on seeing him ride this summer and I hope to post pictures at my small US-NY Speedway picture site which currently has some pictures taken from the 2002 US Open and a video of John 'Cowboy' Cook in action last summer in NY.

cheers,

Star in Exile

Hate to disappoint, but from what I hear only doing traing sessions, however, having said that if he feels good on a bike again who knows? Interesting....

Says in this weeks SS that Kelly is begining his comeback in the East Coast Spring Classic at Action Park,New York,on May 24th,aslong as he can get some sponsorship,anyone got a few $$ to spare :?:

Kelly Moran will be riding in the 2003 season in New York !

Check out this great USA/Candian web site for more information.

I plan on seeing him ride this summer and I hope to post pictures at my small US-NY Speedway picture site which currently has some pictures taken from the 2002 US Open and a video of John 'Cowboy' Cook in action last summer in NY.

cheers,

Star in Exile

This followed;

I heard recently that Kelly was making a racing comeback in the States.

I heard that Kelly is not making a comeback, but is running some training schools, on the east caost of the USA. 8)

So the latest reports suggest kelly "IS" making a comeback as wwtbp originally stated.

It will be interesting to see how he goes, although the American scene already has plenty of old hats from Kelly's era (Faria, Schwartz, MConnell) the old boys still seem to be able to do the business on the tiny tracks.

I spoke with him and there are no plans for a comeback, just training schools,... But hey,... Who knows? :)

Its officilal, Kelly Moran is back, this story taken from the American speedwaybikes mailing list:-

When I made my announcement a couple weeks ago regarding Kelly Moran's comeback, I am sure that some people were skeptical. Well I just wanted those who are interested to know that "The Jellyman" is officially back! Kelly is here in NY and rode for the first time in 11 years yesterday at Champion Speedway. After a slightly rocky start and several equipment adjustments, the former 3-Time World Number 4 and 2-Time US National Champion settled in a rode some smooth and fast laps. He had a huge smile on his face and is very excited about racing again and returning to form. Kelly is healthy and focused and wanted to thank the many people who are so behind him in his return. He can't wait to get riding again this Wednesday, when he will do some more training and testing. Old time fans might get a kick to know that he wore one of his old STP National Championship suits, although it was pretty tight. As a big fan of Kelly's it was quite a t hrill to see him do it and I was very happy for him as it is something he really needed to do for himself. He has been through a lot to get himself to the point where he could do it and it is really exciting for him.

There is no doubt that this is great news for American Speedway amd probably bad news for his competition!

Jason Bonsignore

Excuse me for a minute while I pull my foot out of my mouth.. What great news, wish I could see it....:oops:

Boy i wish i could see it too.Shawn and Kelly were and still are my two all time favourite riders.I doubt if i will ever see anyone so naturally gifted and exciting to watch as long as i live and follow speedway.When Shawn first joined Sheffield [ in the old yellow and black leathers - remember them anyone ? ] i just couldn't believe the things he used to do on a bike.I'd go home from a meeting buzzing.I know this sounds daft to some people,but i first started watching speedway in 75 and this was in the early 80's, but i believe my great love for speedway came mostly from watching Shawn in those early meetings,hooked for life !!! Kelly too was a joy to watch,his balance was unreal and he used to get in some incredible contortions on the bike [ bit like Frank Smart but better ! ] I have a few souvenirs,race jackets etc but my special one is Kelly's old blue Arai helmet [ complete with stone chips] It only cost me £35, a bargain,it was either this one or Ivan Maugers open face black one with white checks on,i didn't have to think twice !!!!! I wish i had a race jacket belonging to either.On the subject of Kelly's accidents i think the person [ sorry can't remember who said it ] is getting a bit mixed up.The fall in America was when Kelly was roofing i believe and the fall through the plate glass door was in a Polish Hotel.It was only the quick thinking actions of Chris Morton applying a tourniquet to Kelly's wrist that saved what could have been a tragedy. It really saddens me that Shawn never came back to say goodbye at Sheffield.I don't blame him,i don't know the reasons.Maybe he didn't feel comfortable with it or has never been asked.I'd just like to thank him for the enjoyment he gave me watching him ride all over the country.

had a great quote somewhere.... oh yeah...

"hic"

:evil: ;):P

allegedly

...Although he didn't reach the Main event, "King" Kelly Moran made a

successful comeback to Speedway after an 11 year layoff. Moran,

wearing new NJK leathers reminiscent of his STP suits won his first 3

races in convincing fashion hanging off the bike and looking like he

didn't break a sweat. The JBR, Gene the Machine, Arai, Kelly Inman

Race Paint sponsored Moran caught traction in his fourth heat and

looped the bike, costing him his chance to transfer directly to the

Main as the evenings top point scorer. In his semi, Kelly was

surprised by a rejuvenated George "Lazorbeam" Lazor. Lazor was

spectacular on the night, winning against Moran and also scoring a

heat win over Cam Rafferty. Lazor is back and looking to continue his

run as one of the East's all-time greats! Moran had one more

opportunity to transfer to the final but was outgated in the Last

Chance by Gene Bonsignore, who was in gate four, and softly fell

down in the first turn. Although it would have been great to see

Kelly in the final, it was quite apparent to all who watched that he

is back in a big way and hasn't lost a step. It was unbelievable how

good he looked after 11 years off and I would go as far to say that

if he was on a Costa Mesa track with some dirt, you would have

guessed it was 1984. He will be a threat when he returns for the fall

races in California....

Thanks To Jason Bonsignore, Champion Speedway, Owego, New York

PS The main event was won by upcoming star Cam Rafferty.

It really saddens me that Shawn never came back to say goodbye at Sheffield.I don't blame him,i don't know the reasons.Maybe he didn't feel comfortable with it or has never been asked.I'd just like to thank him for the enjoyment he gave me watching him ride all over the country.

Me too, it was heartbreaking to hear booing from the terraces in only the second home meeting of 1994 when he made that disastrous comeback.

If ever one rider was above being given stick for the efforts he made for us, it was him. He was the best we've ever had in my time of following the Tigers and probably the best we're ever likely to have.

Like I said on another thread, I'm not sure about Kelly making a comeback, I would prefer to remember what he was like in his heyday.

Philip A I can only echo your comments. I too was fortunate enough to have seen Shooey many, many times. Without doubt he was the bedrock of the Tigers' team in the 80's (remember his debut - 1 point I think) and held the side together in the post Wyer/Wilson years. Without doubt Ray Glover's best signing. Truly a class act and a genuinely nice guy to go with it - he always had time for the fans. "David East" was withoubt doubt a Sheffield legend.

Here's a picture I took of the 'Jellyman' last weekend, chatting with Bobby Boogaloo Schwartz before the final heat of the US Open, which Schwartz won. Kelly had failed to reach the final stages, hence why he is in street clothes.

schmor.jpg