British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Facilities For 'unavailable' Riders

With regard to what the Heathens fans were told about Dyer and Anderson:

HEATHENS V STOKE SPITFIRES - TUESDAY, PREVIEW MONDAY 18 OCTOBER 2010 HUGELY popular Dudley Heathens Speedway duo Tom Perry and Micky Dyer will mix with the fans at Tuesday's Staffordshire Cup tie with Stoke at Wolverhampton's Monmore Green Stadium (7.30).

The pair have been ruled out of the meeting but both will be in the pits to help their colleagues in the first leg tie with the return at Loomer Road on Saturday.

There was no mention of why Dyer wouldn't ride at this point. Perry had been injured so an injury for Dyer was the most logical conclusion. Then this appeared a couple of days later.

STOKE V HEATHENS - PREVIEW FRIDAY 22 OCTOBER 2010 DUDLEY have named their side for the one-off Staffordshire Cup tie at Stoke on Saturday (7.30).

The former Cradley club are without Tom Perry due to a fractured wrist, Ashley Morris is riding for his Premier League club Edinburgh and Aussie duo Jake Anderson and Micky Dyer have sent their equipment home for the winter.

The implication of these meeting previews is that Anderson would have ridden in the home leg on the Tuesday but not the away leg on the Saturday. I don't know anything about arranging shipping but I suspect it would not have been possible for the lads to make short notice arrangements after the rained off Tuesday meeting in Anderson's case or perhaps after the Sunday 17th meeting at Buxton in Dyer's case (as it was made clear he wasn't riding in either meeting v Stoke). If that's right then both must have made prior arrangements and would have been missing for the last two weeks of the season regardless of what fixtures were remaining for the Heathens.

I believe Dyer goes home on Monday chopper.

I dont really see where there is a problem. The NL/CL has always been more flexible regarding absences and the r/r facility mainly due to the fact that it is not a professional league and that riders can race from the age of 15. With no guests being permitted (other than for a NO 1) then teams need some back up for when a rider is missing. What happens for those at school doing exams or riders whose parents cannot get time off work to get them to meetings? We as promoters have a duty to put on the best show possible for the paying public and with the best will in the world that does not mean replacing one of your 1-5 with an untried rider. As I said previously the EL/PL are permitted a facility for 28 days for a rider witholding their services which technically you could argue applies to a rider who has gone home before the end of the season.

Riders are classed as withholding services and it is nothing to do with visa's/work permits due to the fact that 6 month work permits do not allow you to ride speedway in Britain. Following questions being raised regarding Mark Jones returning home due to his visa running out after 6 months I wrote to Newport Speedway in September questioning if he had the correct visa to ride in Britain, no reply as yet and to the Management Committee of the BSPA asking if they checked riders paperwork to ensure they had the correct visa's/permits. They have replied "the BSPA have consulted with the BSPA for the 2010 season and are in dialogue for 2011 to ensure any changes are adhered to by the members of the association"

I dont really see where there is a problem. The NL/CL has always been more flexible regarding absences and the r/r facility mainly due to the fact that it is not a professional league and that riders can race from the age of 15. With no guests being permitted (other than for a NO 1) then teams need some back up for when a rider is missing. What happens for those at school doing exams or riders whose parents cannot get time off work to get them to meetings? We as promoters have a duty to put on the best show possible for the paying public and with the best will in the world that does not mean replacing one of your 1-5 with an untried rider. As I said previously the EL/PL are permitted a facility for 28 days for a rider witholding their services which technically you could argue applies to a rider who has gone home before the end of the season.

Thanks Jayne that explains the situation clearly.

I have no problem with that type of thing Jayne as they're genuine reasons. What I don't like is the rules specifically stating for any reason as it's far too ambiguous and open to exploitation. It has allowed the like of Dyer and Anderson to pack up before the end of the season, even though they're still in the country. Surely that can't be right?

The Stoke meetings for the Heathens would have been a joke. Due respect to the riders that were going to ride but it was not as advertised. We were told it would be 'Heathens v Stoke'. It turned into 'those that were fit and could be bothered to turn out for the Heathens v a NL select'.

I have great respect for all at Buxton as you know Jayne - and I'm so pleased for Buxton that they have at last achieved the success that they deserve this season...

However

I do think that there needs to be some 'rule-tightening'...

There is a great deal of sympathy for those with exams or who can't get transport and this can be accepted by supporters as rare events.

What seems to be upsetting supporters is that machinery is being sent home before the end of the season. It possibly feels as if the riders don't care about the team or the supporters - some of whom may have been doing their only little bit of sponsoring.

Perhaps there should be the 28 day penalty brought into the NDL for any rider witholding their services by sending their machinery back early, and/or leaving the team before the end of the season to go back home - but would promoters really impose this penalty? If the NDL want to be seen as a 'proper' league the rules really shouldn't be too different to the other leagues...

Just to add that I think that it's totally unfair on the young Aussie riders who DO stay - with their machinery - until the end of the season. There are some young Aussie riders who do commit themselves fully to their team and the league and they should not be tarred with the same brush as those who appear not to do so.

To my way of thinking it is pretty simple. If a club signs a rider knowing full well that he cannot complete the season then they should not be allowed a facility for that rider. The facility is there for riders who are unable to compete because of injury or unavoidable commitments.

To my way of thinking it is pretty simple. If a club signs a rider knowing full well that he cannot complete the season then they should not be allowed a facility for that rider. The facility is there for riders who are unable to compete because of injury or unavoidable commitments.

Yes,i agree Vince,but what if a rider is signed and the team knows beforehand he will miss most mid week matches due to work commitments.???

Edited by greyhoundp

In what other sport would competitors not want to compete in a championship decider? In most sports it's the pinnacle of the season and a league-winning medal is something to aim for and be proud of.

But this is Speedway and our leagues have so many riders who flit in and out of the country when it suits them and show no loyalty whatsoever. This isn't a criticism of all overseas riders as the club I support has no problem at all with its foreign riders.

In what other sport would competitors not want to compete in a championship decider? In most sports it's the pinnacle of the season and a league-winning medal is something to aim for and be proud of.

But this is Speedway and our leagues have so many riders who flit in and out of the country when it suits them and show no loyalty whatsoever. This isn't a criticism of all overseas riders as the club I support has no problem at all with its foreign riders.

I still stand by my statement that if Dudley had made the play offs Ando and Mickey would have ridden.

I know Ando fairly well and you wouldnt get a more professional rider, theres no way he would have missed the play off finals had you made it.

I think they just saw a window there to get there gear home earlier than they may have planned.

I agree with you Wolfy, finals are what you ride, play, all season to be a part of there the meetings that have that extra edge.

I know Robert enjoyed mixing it with Lambo, Darren Mallet, Smarty, Big T, Kyle Newman,and the like, premier league riders he looks up to.

Chopper

I still stand by my statement that if Dudley had made the play offs Ando and Mickey would have ridden.

I know Ando fairly well and you wouldnt get a more professional rider, theres no way he would have missed the play off finals had you made it.

And that's precisely the attitude that annoys (polite word) the fans so much. Some riders think they can just pick and choose which meetings to ride in. If the pair had been prepared to ride in the POs then why not our last two meetings against Stoke? They're both still in the country (or were then) but decided they couldn't be bothered to ride in a challenge when the fans have their last chance to see the riders in action and thank them for their efforts all season. Quite how you can describe this attitude as professional is beyond me. Perhaps one or two of our Heathens legends should have a word and explain what professionalism is and what it means to wear the Heathens' race jacket.

And that's precisely the attitude that annoys (polite word) the fans so much. Some riders think they can just pick and choose which meetings to ride in. If the pair had been prepared to ride in the POs then why not our last two meetings against Stoke? They're both still in the country (or were then) but decided they couldn't be bothered to ride in a challenge when the fans have their last chance to see the riders in action and thank them for their efforts all season. Quite how you can describe this attitude as professional is beyond me. Perhaps one or two of our Heathens legends should have a word and explain what professionalism is and what it means to wear the Heathens' race jacket.

Fair enough, i can see your point,to a point, not sure what the deal would have been with the promotion.

Chopper

I think the above is harsh on the Dudley riders concerned. Both riders have been committed to the club throughout the season and in fact Jake has been an ever present along with Ashley Morris. If a situation appears to help all and it makes common sense and all parties agree, then where is the problem here. Ok the paying public could not see the riders for one last time but the public were aware that they were not going to appear in advance of the meeting being staged.I am sure that had we been involved in any finals the duo would have been there.

We all want common sense in speedway this was one occasion it happens and riders still get criticised.

More concerning is riders only able to ride at home and a facility is used for them because they cannot make away meetings. Now this does really annoy fans, especially when we hear constantly that young riders are not given an opportunity to race. It also affects the team lineup, becuase aforementioned rider does not get a new average and therefore retains his old average and stays in the main body of the team allowing other riders to take his rides.

I am not having a go at the promotion of the club in particular because it is within the rules and fair play to them for using it to their advantage, and in light of the Charles Wright situation who can blame them. However, this facility really needs to be looked into along with countless other issues.

I think they just saw a window there to get there gear home earlier than they may have planned.

I agree with you Wolfy, finals are what you ride, play, all season to be a part of there the meetings that have that extra edge.

I know Robert enjoyed mixing it with Lambo, Darren Mallet, Smarty, Big T, Kyle Newman,and the like, premier league riders he looks up to.

Chopper

I'm sure you know Ando and Mickey better than me and you're probably right that they would have ridden in the final if Dudley had qualified. But still disappointing that they couldn't be available until the end of the UK season. Unless it's certain there are no further fixtures surely riders should be available till October 31st.

Glad Robert stayed around till the end (but then he IS a Brit ;) ) and contributed so well to Buxton's title win.