British Speedway Forum

There was response from alterations to the bike - David Howe made changes and won after them ! - as I said will have to have a few weeks i guess for the jury to deliver

No dirt on the track led to a lack of racing.

No atmosphere among the crowd led a a boring day.

I'm glad plenty of money was raised though. The highlight of the day was the auction after the meeting

plenty of money was raised at the auction after the meeting. shame more didn't stay to help raise even more.

photos from today's meeting; http://unofficialscorpion.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=benfund

well done everyone at scunthorpe speedway

I mentioned this after Ipswich practice on Wednesday, lots of problems with new silencers when riders going wide into the dirt. Just meant that they stayed on the kerb. There was also a practice on Friday, was told similar happened, riders not happy.

I'd like to say well done to Phil Morris and the Under 16 lads, great racing, also Kevin Teager and the vintage bike lads - who needs silencers!! :blink:

I mentioned this after Ipswich practice on Wednesday, lots of problems with new silencers when riders going wide into the dirt. Just meant that they stayed on the kerb. There was also a practice on Friday, was told similar happened, riders not happy.

To my eyes the inside line today was just too grippy, especially later on when the 'blue groove' was really prominent. Several riders rode the boards, even in the semi and final, but found little reward. Typical for an early season day time meeting.

To be honest if it wasn't for the noise today I wouldn't have known what silencers were being used. I guess it will take a few meetings and rider comments before we can get a proper assessment of what these new silencers are like to race with and how if at all they are going to effect the racing, but from what I read on the BSF over the past three or four days I expected a lot more rider / machine disharmony than I saw today.

And Lee Richardson. :neutral:

We all know what happened to Lee Richardson.

He was once a GP rider and is never likely to be again. :P

I think it was poor racing because there wasn't enough dirt on the track, nothing to do with the new silencers.

No dirt on the track led to a lack of racing.

No atmosphere among the crowd led a a boring day.

Not sure about lack of dirt as Richard said the track was prepared as usual.

Think the silencers told there own story today - riders trying outside with little effect (killing speed), and riders mostly sticking to inside /middle of the track.

The silencers as i expected are killing the noise we love. You could barely hear it once racing had moved to opposite side of the track, think that didnt help with generating noise amongst the crowd.

As far as an opening meeting goes it was much better than the previous 2 ben funds - which says more about the quality of the Scunthorpe track than anything.

On a personal note it was a pleasure to get so many smiles and hello`s from friendly folk whilst on volunteer car park duty - except for one un-named (for legal reasons :D ) person who showed no respect and parked precisely where he wanted and nearly run one of us over!

Cant say im suprised by the attitude of the `person`. :rolleyes:

thanks for looking after us Richard and glad we could help :)

As a regular Scunny fan who is always there at least an hour and a half prior to tapes up ,the track was not normal as the blade never comes out during a meeting to move the shale back to the middle. Track was also in my opinion underwatered, inside line was not touched and was bare of shale.

As someone who has been to more P&Ps and training schools/practice sessions over the years than I care to think about, rider in these sessions rarely move off the white line/inside. They have no need to as there is nobody on the inside that they need to pass.

Watching rider hugging the kerb proves jack.

did anyone also notice that there was no lifting exiting the corners or down the straights and even out of the starts. If the bikes were dying on the turns then i should imagine they went up a few teeth to try to stop that happening but then they were probably spin up more. I bet an old upright wouldnt suffer as bad with the new silencers. I wonder if anyone will try one out and find out.

Well I have to say after my pre-meeting buzz and excitement and arriving at the track to the smell that we all know and love, I was left bitterly dissapointed at the quality of show yesterday afternoon. I have visited Scunthorpe 3 times now, and on my two previous visits have witnessed some of the best speedway I have seen anyway. But I guess it has much to do with the fact that it is the first of the year etc... I will know for next year...

Also, regarding the silencers. I don't know too much about them as I have decided not to get invovled in a lot of the discussions about them, as it just seems yet another change in speedway which seems to happen every few months... So what actually is the purpose and need for them? To be fair, I didnt really realise all that much difference in the sound from the bikes. Although I have to say that I have never been to a speedway meeting where the crowd has been so quiet as yesterday...what was wrong with people!?

So what actually is the purpose and need for them? To be fair, I didnt really realise all that much difference in the sound from the bikes.

Personally I found them much quieter, especially when the bikes were at the 'other end' of the track. At last year's King's Lynn P&P Kozza and Ricky Wallace used these new style silencers while all the others were on the old ones, and the difference was quite substantial.

I guess the 'purpose and need' for them is to make the sport more audibly friendly. If for example the quieter noise keeps Mildenhall and Birmingham open, or is the difference between Bristol getting planning permission or not, then surely less noise is a small price to pay?

Of course if time proves that the handling of the bikes and therefore the racing is affected then thats a different matter.

Edited by Bagpuss

Personally I found them much quieter, especially when the bikes were at the 'other end' of the track. At last year's King's Lynn P&P Kozza and Ricky Wallace used these new style silencers while all the others were on the old ones, and the difference was quite substantial.

I guess the 'purpose and need' for them is to make the sport more audibly friendly. If for example the quieter noise keeps Mildenhall and Birmingham open, or is the difference between Bristol getting planning permission or not, then surely less noise is a small price to pay?

Of course if time proves that the handling of the bikes and therefore the racing is affected then thats a different matter.

Sure!

I think the reason maybe I didn't realise the sound difference was because I wasn't listening out for it. The first I knew of it was when I was just reading this forum.

I think it will take time for the riders to get themselves dialled in with any new equipment that they need to use, and hopefully then we should begin to see the real action! Hopefully it wont take them too long, and a few spins at their respective P&Ps will sort things out!

My first visit to scunthorpe and after all the hype the racing was dire. Having said that i like the track and no doubt it does produce good racing. These early season openers are rarely classics as the riders shake off the cobwebs. Im going to wait until the season gets properly underway and then return for a scorpions league match and judge it then.

Really disappointing after Rob Godfrey bigged up the quality of his track and the racing. A blue groove really isn't acceptable and surely must be down to poor track preparation? At least the profits were going to a good cause but not poor quality racing wasn't what we needed to fire up enthusiasm at the start a difficult season.