British Speedway Forum

Maybe we have got a new sponsor and managed to sign 2 world class heart leaders guess we will have to wait until next week to find out. i will no go and lie down in a dark corner and see if i can find my brain.

I can't understand why some people are so hung up on running elite league speedway. The league is not really elite is it? If the elite league was that good the top riders would ride in it. The top boys rode in a league for years with 9 teams falling crowds & tracks running on different nights it was called the British League. Lets face it the sport is in a huge mess &i'd be happy to see ipswich go pl & stay there untill the sport sorts its self out. The Louis get a lot of stick for the poor sides they put out but whats the point of splashing the cash to buy riders for a season or two then see them move on because the rules change & they can no longer be fitted in to the side or they want to ride elsewhere. As more than one rider has said in the past it makes no difference what club ownes a rider a rider will ride where they want to.

I believe Mr Frost told the Peterborough audience last night that Ipswich will be in the Premier next season.

Dont think he would of said that exactly more something like its possible that Ipswich might be in the PL

If that's the case then I think the Louis need to step aside and sell it to a local business man who would plough money into the club in the EL. Haven't they had approaches over the years?

If that's the case then I think the Louis need to step aside and sell it to a local business man who would plough money into the club in the EL. Haven't they had approaches over the years?

So long as he knows what he's doing. IF, they do go PL then obviously they are going to lose most if not all their present riders.

I wonder where Scott will go??

i agree with baldyman the sport in general is in a mess and although i am likely to get slated for saying this i would welcome a drop into the premier league as their house seems to be slightly more in order and the varation of teams and a reduction of costs is a welcome. I supported chris for his decision to change the track and if his commitment to the witches was ever in question then why would they have spent money doing this. I admit i stayed away from halfway in as i was just so fed up with the same teams every other week and most of team either missing or off the pace. This option has to be worth a try and a chance to re-group and take stock and improve and use our asset base. Not seeing Scott race every week is a price i would be willing to pay if it gives us a competitive team and better racing.

Edited by tailspin1

If Ipswich drop to the PL the crowds WILL go right down. The PL product isn't as good and for Ipswich fans brought up on seeing the higher class of riders it will seem inferior. I now expect a load of PL fans to tell me I am wrong but I am not. When they see Lyons coming as the opposition number one and a 2010 reserve as their new number one fans will not like or turn out in decent numbers.

The PL has it's own problems with many of the clubs in this league struggling. Although it's cheaper to run a PL team, the loss of revenue through the turnstiles will see ever deminishing returns.

Best bet would be for the louis to put the club up for sale while it's still worth something. Ipswich have been desperate for a new fresh promotion for years. Season after season its the same old rubbish teams put out.

Or, a few seasons in the PL... bring through some promising European and British talents, then back up when they have a few assests of their own on bargain averages. They can't attract them in the EL, so whats the point in continuing? I hope they can find a new backer, but I can't see it myself.

I can't understand why some people are so hung up on running elite league speedway. The league is not really elite is it?

Well if your a fan of top flight speedway then dumbing down to the PL is NOT an option.

A watered down EL easily beats quality racing of the PL hands down anyway.

Thats meant as no offence to the PL, ANY good racing is good racing but the likes of Ashworth and Fisher as headliners wont bring the people thru the gates like riders like Nicholls or Lindgren.

It would be like taking Man City to play against the likes of Barsnley or Hull. No offence meant to those clubs either. :wink:

Well if your a fan of top flight speedway then dumbing down to the PL is NOT an option.

Thats meant as no offence to the PL, ANY good racing is good racing but the likes of Ashworth and Fisher as headliners wont bring the people thru the gates like riders like Nicholls or Lindgren.

It would be like taking Man City to play against the likes of Barsnley or Hull. No offence meant to those clubs either. :wink:

We agree on something! :D

If Ipswich drop to the PL the crowds WILL go right down. The PL product isn't as good and for Ipswich fans brought up on seeing the higher class of riders it will seem inferior. I now expect a load of PL fans to tell me I am wrong but I am not. When they see Lyons coming as the opposition number one and a 2010 reserve as their new number one fans will not like or turn out in decent numbers.

The PL has it's own problems with many of the clubs in this league struggling. Although it's cheaper to run a PL team, the loss of revenue through the turnstiles will see ever deminishing returns.

Best bet would be for the louis to put the club up for sale while it's still worth something. Ipswich have been desperate for a new fresh promotion for years. Season after season its the same old rubbish teams put out.

I was a season ticket holder until the 2009 season, and over the last 2 seasons I have been to Foxhall maybe a dozen times at best. The main reasons for this have been the lack of a competitive team and a lack of variety.

If Ipswich were to drop down to the PL then we should have a more competitive team and would see different teams every week. Plus the local derby with Kings Lynn would return, ensuring a big crowd.

A drop down would definitely mean more visits to Foxhall next season for me, and I would even consider a season ticket again. I really like the idea of seeing Kings Lynn, Newcastle, Sheffield and Workington at Foxhall, to name but a few (assuming they all run in the PL next season that is).

We agree on something! :D

we agree on a lot mate, you know that :lol:

A watered down EL wouldn't be so bad if the teams were more balanced - I don't mean comparing each team but comparing the 1-7 in a team. So many heats end up being strung out because the top riders are so much better than the rest.

If the racing is closer and leads to more possibilities for passing then I am happy to drop down to the PL.