British Speedway Forum

Maybe there is a difference between making money and acceptable losses? If I have a hobby and it takes up 20% of my disposable income and then it starts to take up 50% im going to think about why that hobby is costing so much more. If I can make it cost less then why wouldnt I? Doesnt mean I want to make money at it but there is an acceptable cost and an unacceptable cost. Surely you can see the difference?

Excellent post - I think this is exactly where Stuart is coming from.

I hope those at the BSPA conference bite the bullet and realise the truth that they and most fans have been saying for years now. The EL is not sustainable. Its too expensive and apart from the play off matches have long been a big repetitive turn off for the paying supporters. The top flight needs to get bigger, include more Brits and be at a level closer to the current PL.

If they want to keep people coming through the turnstiles they had better not.

I like good speedway. The elite league is already poor in comparison to top flight speedway abroad and fans will not be interested in an even lower level of racing. Speedway is expensive and for that price people expect quality.

Maybe there is a difference between making money and acceptable losses? If I have a hobby and it takes up 20% of my disposable income and then it starts to take up 50% im going to think about why that hobby is costing so much more. If I can make it cost less then why wouldnt I? Doesnt mean I want to make money at it but there is an acceptable cost and an unacceptable cost. Surely you can see the difference?

Why would had it gone from 20 % to 50 % we been told that Lakeside have been doing really well and but for a couple of rain offs would have made money ...we been cutting costs year after year rather than talking about how we try to get more people watch the sport ....yet again we head into a agm wit the same mind set .

Why would had it gone from 20 % to 50 % we been told that Lakeside have been doing really well and but for a couple of rain offs would have made money ...we been cutting costs year after year rather than talking about how we try to get more people watch the sport ....yet again we head into a agm wit the same mind set .

That was a "for example" Orion.

Only the promoters know the true cost of the EL, they will have to make their own decision.

which sport does make money?

certainly no football teams, they are all massivley in debt.

the issue i suppose with all sport someone has to dig into there own pockets, sad but true.

which sport does make money?

certainly no football teams, they are all massivley in debt.

the issue i suppose with all sport someone has to dig into there own pockets, sad but true.

Acctually Manchester United do make lots of money,over 100 Million last season but the debt the Glaziers brought with them wiped that and more out.

Edited by hyderd

I would have thought Poole and Coventry made money but to achieve a profit its not all about who comes through the turnstiles,its also about sponsorship,which plays a big part in any sport.

I would have thought Poole and Coventry made money but to achieve a profit its not all about who comes through the turnstiles,its also about sponsorship,which plays a big part in any sport.

Poole were the only team to make money. Coventry had a poor season until the very end.

Poole were the only team to make money. Coventry had a poor season until the very end.

i wonder how much money poole lost running the buccs team last season. :unsure:

If only all clubs were located in an area where there are so many millionaires nearby then perhape they could all 'make money' - I realise that someone at the club still has to bring them on baord but when you have so many to choose from then it must make securing sponsorship slightly easier. Unfrtunately we don't have a Sandbanks in Suffolk...

Apparently Wolves made money as well.

Was mentioned in the Mercury on Sunday this past weekend that only Poole and Wolves were the clubs to make money.

we've heard that Lakeside were very close to breaking even this year had it not been for a few rain offs.

Peter Adams said at the Radio WM forum that teams in the Elite League made an average loss of 70k this year. With 2 teams making a profit and 1 almost breaking even seems some teams lost a lot lot more than 70k

Edited by Joe1986

Acctually Manchester United do make lots of money,over 100 Million last season but the debt the Glaziers brought with them wiped that and more out.

man utd are £700 million in debt, your turnover does not cover the outgoings, so if the banks wanted there money back today there would be no more man utd!

the brand keeps them going, but in real terms they are no better off than torquay!

If only all clubs were located in an area where there are so many millionaires nearby then perhape they could all 'make money' - I realise that someone at the club still has to bring them on baord but when you have so many to choose from then it must make securing sponsorship slightly easier. Unfrtunately we don't have a Sandbanks in Suffolk...

I don't think anyone in sandbanks supports Poole speedway,not even Harry Redknapp!!

Our main sponsor is an insurance company and they are everywhere,even Ipswich.

Edited by foreverblue

I don't think anyone in sandbanks supports Poole speedway,not even Harry Redknapp!!

Is he the bloke who lives next door to Steve S? :unsure::wink:

Our main sponsor is an insurance company and they are everywhere,even Ipswich.

I doubt if your main sponsor is alone in sponsoring the team and as their headquarters is located here: Castle Cover, Merck House, Seldown Lane, Poole BH15 1TW I'm guessing your club had a slightly better chance of securing their backing than say Berwick: