British Speedway Forum

So are saying that there are better standard riders than Chris Holder Freddie l and Kenny b in the Pl ? if not then the standard is better in the El hence why more people watch it . Unlike others i understand that the racing can be good and any standard if the mix/ track/ riders is right on any given day

Yes I understand that the better riders are EL and if you prefer to go to watch them,you chose as you wish.Personaly I prefer better racing and that can be at any level,Sheffeild comes to mind as I've seen some decking racing there with Ashworth,Compton,Wilson etc and th PL racing Ive seem on TV this year has been superb

There have been some good El seasons at Foxhall but my most enjoyable years have been those at the National Leqgue level as it was in the 2nd division ,Loram,Louis,Dean Standing,Moggo etc,great years!

Yes that 1989/90 2 season spell in the old National League were in my opinion (and many others) some of the best seasons of speedway ever seen at Foxhall and I go back to when the speedway track was where the current stock car track is now!

But Ipswich also had multi talented riders like Loram, Louis, Standing Mogridge and others so if they are to drop down next season they can't afford a sub standard team!

(Mr all is well in the EL. Wake up please!) Orion totally misses the point I'm making. I've never said that all is rosy in the PL, certainly all levels of speedway af struggling in this Country currently. Though its fair to say that the PL is more financially viable than the EL simple as!

Most of the EL teams are losing money hand over fist just to say they are in the top flight. I'd say that the current EL is viable for about 3 teams, 4 at the very most. The rest, Ipswich, Lakeside (did you read Stuart Douglas' piece in the speedway star last week?) Eastbourne, Peterborough and Belle Vue are just in the EL because they are perceived as regular top flight clubs.

King's Lynn were a regular top flight club from the mid 60's to 2002(bar one year in 1996 closed) when they finally saw sense and moved down. This is the best thing they've ever done and I bet the club is more profitable than it was for many years in the top flight. In fact when they had Brian Griffin on board the club was getting bankrolled and losing lots of money. After Griffin got out, that was when Wagstaff couldn't afford to do it. King's Lynn should of really dropped down around 1986/87 when Martin Rogers was struggling and he wanted to but the fans then insisted it was topflight or nothing.

The current EL is p iss poor and needs changing. If it remains the same then it'll only get worse next season.

If you went back to say 1975, a year slap bang in the middle of speedways golden era in this Country and stripped the top flight down to 9 teams, only had a maximum of 20 or so Brits in it, made tracks run on irregular racenights, had many of the riders not giving it 100% every meeting, had no test matches, and had a fixture list with teams riding each other twice at home and twice away then even in them days you'd of ended up with a struggling League.

I've been going to Ipswich for many many years so know that the club if run properly by a go ahead promotion is one of the Countries speedway hotbeds, capable of getting crowds most tracks only dream off. Under the current EL while the Louis remain in charge, a return to such glory days isn't going to happen. It could be with a cash cow person throwing money at it like Rick Frost at Peterborough but these sugardaddy hobby promotors are only papering over the cracks of an unsustainable League!

Things need to back to an even keel!

Get back to basics would help which are -

The best Leagues in speedway are the big ones with lots of variety where you don't see the same teams and riders over and over.

More Brits in teams. Create more local interest and theirs enough PL Brits who could ride at a level a bit higher.

Regular racenights. Supporters are creatures of habit, even more so the casual fan.

No shuffling around rearranging everything around the GP's. Hardly any GP riders ride in the British Leagues now anyway and teams should be restricted to one GP rider. If a team wishes to run on a Friday or a Saturday night (the best 2 days for speedway) then they would have to bite the bullte and no GP rider or if the have a GP rider (which is their perrogative) face having some meeetings without the rider or shuffling fixtures around.

If these basic aspects of a good British League set up are followed then the top flight would be much better of.

This is why my blueprint of a 16 top flight at a level inbetween the current EL and PL, with a 10+ 2nd tier (where all tracks wishing to operate in the top 2 Divisions would have to start in, hopefully team numbers will increase) at a level inbetween the current PL and NL and a 3rd tier without the many riders who could ride at higher level could work?

Keeping the EL as it is not an option as far as I'm concerned and the Ipswich situation epitomises why!

Edited by 25yearfan

Yes that 1989/90 2 season spell in the old National League were in my opinion (and many others) some of the best seasons of speedway ever seen at Foxhall and I go back to when the speedway track was where the current stock car track is now!

But Ipswich also had multi talented riders like Loram, Louis, Standing Mogridge and others so if they are to drop down next season they can't afford a sub standard team!

(Mr all is well in the EL. Wake up please!) Orion totally misses the point I'm making. I've never said that all is rosy in the PL, certainly all levels of speedway af struggling in this Country currently. Though its fair to say that the PL is more financially viable than the EL simple as!

Most of the EL teams are losing money hand over fist just to say they are in the top flight. I'd say that the current EL is viable for about 3 teams, 4 at the very most. The rest, Ipswich, Lakeside (did you read Stuart Douglas' piece in the speedway star last week?) Eastbourne, Peterborough and Belle Vue are just in the EL because they are perceived as regular top flight clubs.

King's Lynn were a regular top flight club from the mid 60's to 2002(bar one year in 1996 closed) when they finally saw sense and moved down. This is the best thing they've ever done and I bet the club is more profitable than it was for many years in the top flight. In fact when they had Brian Griffin on board the club was getting bankrolled and losing lots of money. After Griffin got out, that was when Wagstaff couldn't afford to do it. King's Lynn should of really dropped down around 1986/87 when Martin Rogers was struggling and he wanted to but the fans then insisted it was topflight or nothing.

The current EL is p iss poor and needs changing. If it remains the same then it'll only get worse next season.

If you went back to say 1975, a year slap bang in the middle of speedways golden era in this Country and stripped the top flight down to 9 teams, only had a maximum of 20 or so Brits in it, made tracks run on irregular racenights, had many of the riders not giving it 100% every meeting, had no test matches, and had a fixture list with teams riding each other twice at home and twice away then even in them days you'd of ended up with a struggling League.

I've been going to Ipswich for many many years so know that the club if run properly by a go ahead promotion is one of the Countries speedway hotbeds, capable of getting crowds most tracks only dream off. Under the current EL while the Louis remain in charge, a return to such glory days isn't going to happen. It could be with a cash cow person throwing money at it like Rick Frost at Peterborough but these sugardaddy hobby promotors are only papering over the cracks of an unsustainable League!

Things need to back to an even keel!

Get back to basics would help which are -

The best Leagues in speedway are the big ones with lots of variety where you don't see the same teams and riders over and over.

More Brits in teams. Create more local interest and theirs enough PL Brits who could ride at a level a bit higher.

Regular racenights. Supporters are creatures of habit, even more so the casual fan.

No shuffling around rearranging everything around the GP's. Hardly any GP riders ride in the British Leagues now anyway and teams should be restricted to one GP rider. If a team wishes to run on a Friday or a Saturday night (the best 2 days for speedway) then they would have to bite the bullte and no GP rider or if the have a GP rider (which is their perrogative) face having some meeetings without the rider or shuffling fixtures around.

If these basic aspects of a good British League set up are followed then the top flight would be much better of.

This is why my blueprint of a 16 top flight at a level inbetween the current EL and PL, with a 10+ 2nd tier (where all tracks wishing to operate in the top 2 Divisions would have to start in, hopefully team numbers will increase) at a level inbetween the current PL and NL and a 3rd tier without the many riders who could ride at higher level could work?

Keeping the EL as it is not an option as far as I'm concerned and the Ipswich situation epitomises why!

We had regular race nights brits etc no gp riders weekend racenights in the pl and the crowds keep going down to sometime under 300 ....normal old time fan thinks going back in time will bring the fans it won't times have moved on .

Tell you what bring back the one of world final monkey masks Golden helmet and second halfs ....i reckon by your posts you think that would be the way forward :rolleyes:

It's no point arguing with some of the 'Elitists'.

Let them watch their processional rubbish and we'll watch the proper racing.

It's no point arguing with some of the 'Elitists'.

Let them watch their processional rubbish and we'll watch the proper racing.

Yes you watch it with the other couple of hundred .

know this is going off topic a bit, and apologies to ipswich supporters for that but and its probably not a fair comparison, I used to go to swindon from early 70s as a little kid, through to early 90s with my dad, and BL speedway used to be brilliant, loads of banter, cheering atmosphere etc,in moved to norfolk a few years ago and after separating from the ex(hooray) started going to watch the stars, and in my opinion, and i know there is a 15 odd year gap, the RACING isnt as good at pl level, occasionally you get a belter of a race, usually when you get a couple of el old hands battling it out, a bit of track craft etc, but the other thing is THE ATMOSPHERE HAS GONE .Why? Thats what we need back, atmosphere, at the world cup event 2 it was incredible, my partner, not a speedway fan(working on that one) also said it was brilliant.

IS cost cutting the answer,dont know, but El as it stands is boring and far too repetitive, a different team each week with a "wow got to go to that one cos so and so is riding" whether that be i dunno, edinburgh in town so lets go boo fisher, or coventry are coming lets go watch bomber, is what we need.Bigger league, more variety, more interest, bigger crowd, simples!

Cut the stupid rules out, tac rides, stop ripping teams apart so supporters can get a chance to relate to a team, put dirt on tracks so racers can race and get out and bloody well promote the sport.Get it on local radio, give out free car stickers to anyone that wants to put one in the car and make people aware of speedway, no one will come along if they dont know its there.

We had regular race nights brits etc no gp riders weekend racenights in the pl and the crowds keep going down to sometime under 300 ....normal old time fan thinks going back in time will bring the fans it won't times have moved on .

Tell you what bring back the one of world final monkey masks Golden helmet and second halfs ....i reckon by your posts you think that would be the way forward :rolleyes:

So rather than criticise and laugh at everyone else, what do you suggest? Leave it as it is and let the slide continue?

So far you haven't said anything constructive or helpful - you really are just an annoying troll.

So rather than criticise and laugh at everyone else, what do you suggest? Leave it as it is and let the slide continue?

So far you haven't said anything constructive or helpful - you really are just an annoying troll.

100% correct Lovey

Orion never has anything to say of interest, just smartarse comments

But Orion does know best!

I don't let him/her annoy me!

All I know that is relevent to this thread is that things have to change at Ipswich speedway and so does the EL!

If they don't change then Ipswich speedway and the EL will deterioate even further!

I'd like Orion to post saying what he thinks is right about the EL and if it needs to change or not!

Edited by 25yearfan

What because i don't think the same as you ? not sure where you been but people have being going about the slide since about 1980 ..and every year it's the old tosh about we can't on like this the sport going to die etc etc .

After the AGM we will have El again and a Pl again and speedway will carry on as per normal intill the next season before the drama queens return again telling us that it's the end of the world again .

Speedway just like most sports is finding it tough and the main reasons is that people have not got the money to go at the present time and that is at all levels ...Not that The El haters and lets go back 20 years fans can see that .

Edited by orion

I've been going to speedway since first setting foot in the Firs back in the 1950's and believe me I've never seen the sport, in particular the top flight in such a poor state. I first went to Ipswich speedway sometime in the late 1950's and I've never seen the Witches at such a low ebb as what they have been this season. I never thought I'd see crowds as low as some of the poorly attended ones at the end of the season!

Thats not being a drama Queen, thats the truth!

Keeping the EL as it currently is will not help the sport progress. It will only push the sport further into decline!

Edited by 25yearfan

I've been going to speedway since first setting foot in the Firs back in the 1950's and believe me I've never seen the sport, in particular the top flight in such a poor state. I first went to Ipswich speedway sometime in the late 1950's and I've never seen the Witches at such a low ebb as what they have been this season. I never thought I'd see crowds as low as some of the poorly attended ones at the end of the season!

Thats not being a drama Queen, thats the truth!

Keeping the EL as it currently is will not help the sport progress. It will only push the sport further into decline!

The same things were said last year the year before that and the year before that ... have you seen the low crowds in the Pl this year ? they been droping every year... have you seen whats being going on at workington ? did you see how newport were doing ? did you forget why Gary patch never wanted to carry on at brum ? did see how close the champs came to pulling out of the Pl this year ?

Oh sorry forgot the only problem is in the El everythink elsewhere is a bed of roses :rolleyes: Ps Stoke have also pulled out of The PL due to high running costs :rolleyes: wake up and smell the coffee .

Edited by orion

The same things were said last year the year before that and the year before that ... have you seen the low crowds in the Pl this year ? they been droping every year... have you seen whats being going on at workington ? did you see how newport were doing ? did you forget why Gary patch never wanted to carry on at brum ? did see how close the champs came to pulling out of the Pl this year ?

Oh sorry forgot the only problem is in the El everythink elsewhere is a bed of roses :rolleyes: Ps Stoke have also pulled out of The PL due to high running costs :rolleyes: wake up and smell the coffee .

I really think you should wake up and smell it too,all of those 3 PL tracks you mention are the same,they are ex-tracks that have opened up and drawn huge crowds for a season,maybe 2,then declined badly,how many EL clubs are complaining they are struggling and losing money? Kings Lynn's crowds are up and they're no longer losing money like when they in the EL and that includes when they nearly won the league

As for the same things being said last year and the year before etc,well we're in a VERY different current economic climate,crowds have declined across Speedway as a whole and things need to change pretty drastically

Kings Lynn's crowds are up and they're no longer losing money like when they in the EL and that includes when they nearly won the league

As for the same things being said last year and the year before etc,well we're in a VERY different current economic climate,crowds have declined across Speedway as a whole and things need to change pretty drastically

lynn's crowds weren't as big this season when i went..(ALL SPEEDWAYFANS ARE FICKLE, CRAP TEAMS =CRAP CROWDS)

crowds :rolleyes: weakening the product doesn't bring crowds thro the gate esp when prices keep going up

I really think you should wake up and smell it too,all of those 3 PL tracks you mention are the same,they are ex-tracks that have opened up and drawn huge crowds for a season,maybe 2,then declined badly,how many EL clubs are complaining they are struggling and losing money? Kings Lynn's crowds are up and they're no longer losing money like when they in the EL and that includes when they nearly won the league

Not sure what being a ex tracks has to do with anythink the bottom linree is they finding in tough in a league what in eyes is great :rolleyes: what about Brum and Stoke how are you going to explain that away ? and then don't forget about the Pl league champions who were having second thoughts about running next year ?

Kings Lynn crowds are down by the way this year another fact you got wrong :rolleyes: