British Speedway Forum

Personally I think that comparing the EL against the PL is like comparing apples and pears. I suspect that any team struggling to survive in the EL could drop down to the PL and make a go of it. Their biggest outlay, i.e. riders pay, would be significantly reduced and as more of them tend to be based here the travelling expenses would go down as well. I may be wrong but riders in the PL appear more committed to their teams which helps to keep the fans interested - as opposed to the EL where every week at least one set of fans is wondering if their number one is going to put in an appearance or if a minor case of the sniffles will prevent him from flying over.

I'm not saying that if Ipswich drop down it will be a bed of roses but I think the club have a much better chance of survival long term if they run at that level for a few seasons. If it happens I look forward to seeing some new faces on the track next year, riding for us and the opposition.

I've been going to speedway since first setting foot in the Firs back in the 1950's and believe me I've never seen the sport, in particular the top flight in such a poor state. I first went to Ipswich speedway sometime in the late 1950's and I've never seen the Witches at such a low ebb as what they have been this season. I never thought I'd see crowds as low as some of the poorly attended ones at the end of the season!

Thats not being a drama Queen, thats the truth!

Keeping the EL as it currently is will not help the sport progress. It will only push the sport further into decline!

I saw lower ones in 2003 (my first season back after a near 10 year absence from the sport)....I will never forget the one man and his dog (or in my case, one woman and her son), feeling on the terraces for the Sky meeting, I think there was about 10 people (if that) standing on the terrace in front of the garden bar!

Strangely, even though 2003 was a bad season, it still somehow reignited the speedway bug in me and I bought a season ticket for 2004!

Not sure what being a ex tracks has to do with anythink the bottom linree is they finding in tough in a league what in eyes is great :rolleyes: what about Brum and Stoke how are you going to explain that away ? and then don't forget about the Pl league champions who were having second thoughts about running next year ?

Kings Lynn crowds are down by the way this year another fact you got wrong :rolleyes:

I said all crowds are down,which they are and all the. Reserected tracks including Birmingham have had big crows to start with,then it's as though the novelty wears of an the terraces are sparse,Workington had 4,000 when they opened and Newport even had around 3,000,iBirmingham were the samet seems theres a trend,it doesn't work out in the end,most of the established clubs are ok,anyhow all this aside Ipswich cannot carry on as they are or do you think they can?

Regarding Kings Lynn,I'm going off posts from 25 year fan and Screamer if you care to look back through the thread,yes fans are fickle,600 at Foxhall won't pay many bills,maybe not that much of an attractive figure but it's happened and to carry on EL next year they would need Hampel to return alongside Scott for example

The product has got weaker over the years sadly but doesn't that say something about costs?

Anyhow It looks like there's not much chance that the "Eliteists" will see things from another angle so I'm done with it,let the AGM decide what to do in their infinite wisdom

Edited by Gearhead

TBH, I won't be too surprised if indeed it is true what that report says.

TBH, I won't be too surprised if indeed it is true what that report says.

I would be :shock: , cant see us moving up to be honest. Theres been no indication in the local press here that we are.

I said all crowds are down,which they are and all the. Reserected tracks including Birmingham have had big crows to start with,then it's as though the novelty wears of an the terraces are sparse,Workington had 4,000 when they opened and Newport even had around 3,000,iBirmingham were the samet seems theres a trend,it doesn't work out in the end,most of the established clubs are ok,anyhow all this aside Ipswich cannot carry on as they are or do you think they can?

Regarding Kings Lynn,I'm going off posts from 25 year fan and Screamer if you care to look back through the thread,yes fans are fickle,600 at Foxhall won't pay many bills,maybe not that much of an attractive figure but it's happened and to carry on EL next year they would need Hampel to return alongside Scott for example

The product has got weaker over the years sadly but doesn't that say something about costs?

Anyhow It looks like there's not much chance that the "Eliteists" will see things from another angle so I'm done with it,let the AGM decide what to do in their infinite wisdom

I have already siad that under the louis then Ippo have little choice but to go to the Pl ....but like most understand that someone else could have made a decent job of El speedway at Ippo .

You seen keen to blame ippo demise on the league that there in but when pointed out that 6 or 7 teams in the Pl are in the same boat you make poor excuses for them ...the facts are quite clear speedway is finding it hard at all levels .

I have already siad that under the louis then Ippo have little choice but to go to the Pl ....but like most understand that someone else could have made a decent job of El speedway at Ippo .

You seen keen to blame ippo demise on the league that there in but when pointed out that 6 or 7 teams in the Pl are in the same boat you make poor excuses for them ...the facts are quite clear speedway is finding it hard at all levels .

Yes I'd agree that under the Louis it'd be better PL,although with a new owner going EL would mean very deep pockets indeed

I do blame the demise on the league,as the league is giving nearly every club a hard time,how many time on here have we heard people say they think the EL is unsustainable

I did say problems were across the board too,we certainly agree on that

And also, "allegedly" Bratleys interest at Ipswich..... :blink:

And prob Hans Andersen in returning to Peterborough next season

Welcome to the PL, another super local derby for the Rockets :rolleyes:

1. Kevin Doolan 8.98

2. Ritchie Hawkins 5.86

3. Chris Schramm 6.37

4. Taylor Poole 6.11

5. Leigh Lanham 7.49

6. Jerran Hart 4.39

7. Joe Jacobs 3.00

Total 42.20, without Brit reductions.