British Speedway Forum

A table topping PL team would increase the gates considerably at Ippo. A team bottom of the league year on year does nothing for the gates. We have seen at Newport how true that is, although with the form of the Wasps in the second half of the season, an increase, albeit slow, was noted.

Get PL, get a team that will challenge for the title, and your crowds will flock back in.

I was a season ticket holder until the 2009 season, and over the last 2 seasons I have been to Foxhall maybe a dozen times at best. The main reasons for this have been the lack of a competitive team and a lack of variety.

If Ipswich were to drop down to the PL then we should have a more competitive team and would see different teams every week. Plus the local derby with Kings Lynn would return, ensuring a big crowd.

A drop down would definitely mean more visits to Foxhall next season for me, and I would even consider a season ticket again. I really like the idea of seeing Kings Lynn, Newcastle, Sheffield and Workington at Foxhall, to name but a few (assuming they all run in the PL next season that is).

I think you would be in the minority who will think like that.

And why would Ipswich be more competitive? They have a points limit to build to like the other clubs. Will Stachyra as your number one have them queuing to the main road?

And visiting number ones like Bach, Wright, Nermark, Ashworth, Parker, Gathercole, Michal Makovsky , Wethers, Screen, Ollie Allen, Lanham, Howe, and Rusty Harrison will have them packed in?

There might be a bigger variety of teams but that's about it.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

I guess under the Louis then Ippo have to go into the Pl, and a plus point for the fans is that they have a chance of seeing a winning side ...the sad point is under someone else i still feel Ipswich could do really well and get the crowds to support EL speedway .

Going to be fun to see if Louis can put togther a good Pl side after the shocking EL ones of late now that there can't be many excuses about the cost if they go PL .

Edited by orion

I think you would be in the minority who will think like that.

And why would Ipswich be more competitive? They have a points limit to build to like the other clubs. Will Stachyra as your number one have them queuing to the main road?

And visiting number ones like Bach, Wright, Nermark, Ashworth, Parker, Gathercole, Michal Makovsky , Wethers, Screen, Ollie Allen, Lanham, Howe, and Rusty Harrison will have them packed in?

There might be a bigger variety of teams but that's about it.

It is true that there is no guarantee that Ipswich would be more competitive in the PL, but IMO Ipswich would have a better chance of building a competitive team. At least it would give us the chance to build up our asset base again, which needs to be improved massively.

As for the visiting number ones, at least Ipswich might be able to get a heat advantage for a change!!!

Ipswich have been struggling for years (the last time we had a good team was when we had Andersen and Nicholls and narrowly missed out in the play-offs) and to be honest enough is enough. If we perform better in a lower division then I would be more than happy - I just want to see a winning team again.

I guess under the Louis then Ippo have to go into the Pl, and a plus point for the fans is that they have a chance of seeing a winning side ...the sad point is under someone else i still feel Ipswich could do really well and get the crowds to support EL speedway .

Going to be fun to see if Louis can put togther a good Pl side after the shocking EL ones of late now that there can't be many excuses about the cost if they go PL .

Unfortunately a change of owner is no guarantee of success, even if one could be found. And the last thing I want to see happen is what happened to Oxford, which for me would be devastating.

Even if there was a potential buyer, would the Louis' sell-up? Unless a massive offer is made I can't see that happening.

Unfortunately a change of owner is no guarantee of success, even if one could be found. And the last thing I want to see happen is what happened to Oxford, which for me would be devastating.

Even if there was a potential buyer, would the Louis' sell-up? Unless a massive offer is made I can't see that happening.

Likewise there is no guarantee of success at Pl level .....Not sure why there be a massive offer for Ipswch ? it's has hardly worth anythink and has hardly any assets and is losing money each year .

What would you be buying ? somethink that is losing money in a business that is in freefall .

A watered down EL wouldn't be so bad if the teams were more balanced - I don't mean comparing each team but comparing the 1-7 in a team. So many heats end up being strung out because the top riders are so much better than the rest.

If the racing is closer and leads to more possibilities for passing then I am happy to drop down to the PL.

But it's the same in the pl. You have experienced old hands like Lyons and Screen, up against NL wobblers filling the PL reserve berths. Canon fodder.

The thought of Premier League racing fills me with dread i'm afraid. Even a really poor Elite meeting can keep me interested until the end to see the likes of Nicholls Vs Andersen in heats 13 and 15. Stachyra Vs Howe/Allen/Lanham just wouldn't do that for me.

Really risky move by the Louis' if they've taken the decision to drop i don't think it will be popular at all.

Another thing that bothers me about the Premier League is constantly losing any rider with talent and ambition. Rye House are saying goodbye to Sundstrom, Newcastle and losing crowd favourite Kenni Larsen. Kings Lynn lost Ward and so on. Its all well and good saying drop down and build up your asset base, but the problem is, if you don't come back up (and there's every possibility that Ipswich could become comfy there), then any assets worth having will soon disappear anyway!

We did well when we was in the PL, good racing to boot to. Don't knock it till you try it.

Still don't want Ipswich to drop down though.

Well from what I have heard that is what the statement is about so bye bye Ipswich. Looks like the budgies are looking to join them so two clubs lost to the EL which will make the fixture list very sparse indeed.

Well from what I have heard that is what the statement is about so bye bye Ipswich. Looks like the budgies are looking to join them so two clubs lost to the EL which will make the fixture list very sparse indeed.

When one says the budgies, Steve, one hopes you mean Eastbourne!

But it's the same in the pl. You have experienced old hands like Lyons and Screen, up against NL wobblers filling the PL reserve berths.

Depends how the team is built Shovlar!! At the end of the day it's all about supporting your local speedway team whatever league they are in, use it or lose it eh! The Ipswich public will love the variety of opposition the PL offers unlike you in the 8 team EL!

Depends how the team is built Shovlar!! At the end of the day it's all about supporting your local speedway team whatever league they are in, use it or lose it eh! The Ipswich public will love the variety of opposition the PL offers unlike you in the 8 team EL!

It goes without saying there will be more variety but to say they can rebuild is nonesense as they will just become a feeder club like every other PL team. Train up quality youngsters for the EL teams.

How can they make a quality asset base? Every time they get a special talent he will be gone in a season. And they have to go by the same rules as every other PL club so they won't be some strong juggernaut. Where is the infrastructure to get the youngsters coming through the NL ranks?

To make money and be successful you need to put together a winning team. The Louis have failed miserably at this in the last 10 seasons.So a drop down will solve these problems? Al it will do is lose a great big chunk of their fan base who won't want to watch PL racing, and their top riders past their best several seasons ago.

Much more sensible to go out and get some decent talent into the team and get rid of the Slabons and Miskowiaks.

When one says the budgies, Steve, one hopes you mean Eastbourne!

Unless Bob has sold up then Eastbourne will be an elite league team next year. Sorry to disappoint both yourself and Steve.