British Speedway Forum

And who would pay his wages ? The reason Kasper is at Cov is because of the good money they pay him ....Ippo can't match that so Kasper won't ride for Ipswich free loan or no free loan .

By increasing the amount of Sky money to Ipswich for a season. Add to that with Nicholls, KK and King it "should" be a successful team which means more fans through the gate. Success brings in the crowds. Ipswich have a good fanbase which could be great if the team is at the right end of the table.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

I think you would be in the minority who will think like that.

And why would Ipswich be more competitive? They have a points limit to build to like the other clubs. Will Stachyra as your number one have them queuing to the main road?

And visiting number ones like Bach, Wright, Nermark, Ashworth, Parker, Gathercole, Michal Makovsky , Wethers, Screen, Ollie Allen, Lanham, Howe, and Rusty Harrison will have them packed in?

There might be a bigger variety of teams but that's about it.

I will certainly be attending again,I lost interest in the "Elite" and I started a thread in the discussions page about possibly returning to PL again,even if they are granted riders like KK on a free loan,who is going to pay his wages if they can't afford Nicholls??

discussions post:

After some extremely dissapointing numbers in recent weeks a very healthy crowd turned out for the Newcastle meeting even with many feeling the result would be a forgone conclusion.Newcastle did put up some fight with some close races although fielding a fairly young and inexperienced side (Robbo aside) and were maybe a tad below full strength but on their home track it was always going to go Ipswich's way

After another EL season of Speedway one week and not the next or even the next and a limited amount of visiting teams,many using R/R and repetitive guests (Shlein??) could Racing every week with new teams be the shot in the arm that Ipswich need if an application to go PL were to be accepted? Scott wouldn't obviously not figure in PL plans and other tweaks would be needed,most likely British lads in the lower order would be a good thing given the current state of the National squad

So if numbers were like this each week with vastly reduced outcome and a profit made each week is this the way forward?the numbers certainly speak volumes,new visitors,a pretty unanimous expected result,some fairly inexperienced opposition,the end of the season,a chilly night and yet a very good crowd,what does it say for next year? ThePl is the breeding ground for new talent and the racing is good,there will always be the "Elite always" crowd even if it's nowhere near what it was but serious food for thought now?

I know I'm not alone, in speaking to many freinds who havnt attended the last season or two,they say they'd return if it went PL as they'd be sure to track a way more sucessful team than they have at EL level.I think Ipswich on average are down to a hardcore of supporters so I wouldn't expect to see a drop in numbers either

It's all rosy if you can watch Poole every week,winning for fun,seeing a rare visiting GP rider although a lot of cannon fodder at the back and new imports that are unknown i suppose,if that's what you like

ps what's "Mickthemuppet"s take on this?

Don't see why Ipswich should be helped when other clubs have not been helped when it's been needed in the past? Clubs either stay in the big league or cut their cloth accordingly.

Maybe invite Bob Geldof to the AGM and he can organise a fund raising single in aid of British Speedway.

Never understood how clubs can charge a fee for a self employed, out of contract rider anyway. The whole asset buisiness is farcical.

After some extremely dissapointing numbers in recent weeks a very healthy crowd turned out for the Newcastle meeting even with many feeling the result would be a forgone conclusion.Newcastle did put up some fight with some close races although fielding a fairly young and inexperienced side (Robbo aside) and were maybe a tad below full strength but on their home track it was always going to go Ipswich's way

So if numbers were like this each week with vastly reduced outcome and a profit made each week is this the way forward?the numbers certainly speak

The El v Pl match has always brought in good crowds it has no bearing at all on what crowds Ippo could expect in the Pl .....your tend to forget that the rent will stay the same and the crowds will be lower as well ...not sure where you this idea that Pl clubs are makeing profit most are trying to fight off going out of business .

The El v Pl match has always brought in good crowds it has no bearing at all on what crowds Ippo could expect in the Pl .....your tend to forget that the rent will stay the same and the crowds will be lower as well ...not sure where you this idea that Pl clubs are makeing profit most are trying to fight off going out of business .

I'd give it up mate i really would. I keep reading the "everyone i speak to would return if we went Premier league", well most i've spoken to at Foxhall would find something else to do on Thursday nights if the club went Premier League!

The EL can ill afford to lose more teams to the PL. I am wondering if some behind the scenes bargaining is going on to help keep Ipswich in the EL.

The teams who are destined to remian in the top flight need other teams to fill up the fixture list and give a bit of variety. So I am wondering if a deal is being worked on to loan the teams who are struggling to be competitive. Teams like Poole have riders on their books who we are not using and perhaps now id the time to offer these riders on a free loan deal for a season.

And what about giving Ipswich a little help with an increased portion of the Sky money? Whilst it might cost the EL clubs initially, keeping the amount of teams up in the EL is paramount.

Ipswich need the same as other struggling clubs (my own included)and that is investment, if the money was/is there to pay/attract the better riders then the fans will return.

Interestingly Poole were at the lower end of the league in 2009 and there crowds also dwindled, so maybe the whole Elite league set up needs revamping in a way that encourages the GP stars to race over here but also rewards our home grown youth to help with there development.

I'd give it up mate i really would. I keep reading the "everyone i speak to would return if we went Premier league", well most i've spoken to at Foxhall would find something else to do on Thursday nights if the club went Premier League!

well we may just find out,those who go now and say "I wouldn't go if we went PL" may well change their minds when the new season starts and others probably wouldn't stay away for long,not if they are Speedway fans,would you yourself stay away? or maybe you'd spend more than you previously did and travel to Lakeside?

Maybe take it from those who have witnessed it first hand ie Kings Lynn fans that have posted and said they adjusted to it,My take is that in the last aprox 2-3 years,of the dozen or so people that I used to stand with,only 4 went to Foxhall last year,and they didnt't go every week,I went a few times until the strange goings on surrounding the Briggo visit then in protest of the Louis,I would go again in a fresh start in the PL and speaking to all those i used to stand with,the same goes for them,except 2 that doubt they'd ever go again as long as the Louis are in charge

Anyhow,if they did go PL and you stayed away,you'd be making the situation worse,at least show some support as surely PL is better than none at all,the truth is that numbers have dwindled as many are fed up with the rubbish served at Foxhal in recent years,ending up with the wooden spoon as it stands now and the club in financial difficulties,if it's EL again without a cash injection then they won't see half a season out,they can't afford a team of last years standard so with a possible raise in points limit they dont stand a chance,and how many other EL clubs would be willing to donate a portion of their SKY money to help out? An EL number 1 taking home the same sort of money as all 3 PL heatleaders is costly,add this to the money paid in airfares and related costs last year and it's a lot to find,in reality they also need a KK on top to be competetive,and lets face it,it's not going to happen

A team sponsor of not too long ago recently turned down an approach for financial help too so that's another avenue that's hit a dead end sadly as well

I think we all know that compared to other sports,Speedway comes cheap to SKY and ideally,more from them is badly needed,it's a damn shame

Edited by Gearhead

Gearhead, Maybe i'm not a true speedway fan, but Premier League just doesn't appeal to me for a number of reasons. Certainly not enough to spend £15 a week on. I also follow Ipswich town football club too, but i'd never say i'd rather us stay in the championship where we can win matches and stay competitive rather than get stuffed by the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea. I'd still want to see the club promoted and see the top clubs at Portman Road and have a go at them. Just as i'd like to see the Witches keep punching in the top flight.

As i've already said, one of the big things that bugs me about the Premier League is losing your talented riders. I think its total nonsense to say lets drop down and re-group and build up our asset base, how the hell can you do that in the Premier League?

Kings Lynn fans loved Darcy Ward, but lost him after one season. The Rye House fans idolise Linus Sundstrom, but he's now outgrown them and they've lost him. Same Newcastle and Kenni Larsen. It must be so frustrating being a supporter of a Premier League side knowing that your one top talented rider is simply being trained up for his next club in the Elite League.

I think its dangerous to think a drop down is the answer. What if the Louis' put together a ropey Premier League side and they struggle in that League too? No sky money to fall back on, still stadium rent to pay, and not much coming through the gate. How much did Edinburgh lose this season? Was it 40k? Birmingham lost money too its been revealed and so have others.

At the end of the day the Louis' are running the speedway club and they can do whatever they see fit. If they think Premier League racing is a better bet and thats where they want to go then fair play to them.

Poole own Kasprzak. Loan him to Ipswich for a season loan free. It would cost Matt Ford perhaps £8000 but would give them a decent top two of Nicholls and KK, with King as third heat leader. Build the rest of the team sensibly around those three and they would definately be challenging for a playoff berth.

I take it you would also expect Coventry to do the same with Scott Nicholls as he would also be a loan fee expense? I guess the issue is around assets.

I agree with most posts though, loan fees dwindle into small % compared to what the riders will expect to be paid.

The EL can ill afford to lose more teams to the PL. I am wondering if some behind the scenes bargaining is going on to help keep Ipswich in the EL.

The teams who are destined to remian in the top flight need other teams to fill up the fixture list and give a bit of variety. So I am wondering if a deal is being worked on to loan the teams who are struggling to be competitive. Teams like Poole have riders on their books who we are not using and perhaps now id the time to offer these riders on a free loan deal for a season.

And what about giving Ipswich a little help with an increased portion of the Sky money? Whilst it might cost the EL clubs initially, keeping the amount of teams up in the EL is paramount.

Sorry, but that is a silly idea.

I do not want to see Ipswich drop down, the same as I don't want Eastbourne to drop down.

Why though do we give Ipswich free loan deals and more Sky cash when, as is entirely likely, there are teams who have lost more money last season than them?

What are we suggesting, that we only help those who threaten to leave the Elite League?

The real crux of the problem is the selfish, narrow minded approach of some promoters who throw cash at riders to entice them to their club (O.K. to a certain extent if they can afford it) and the blatant average manipulation and downright cheating that caused the Elite League to be a cartel where only a couple of clubs can compete.

Everyone has seen this situation coming.

How many times have we seen posters on here saying something along the lines of 'if this continues then I hope you enjoy your 5 or 6 team Elite League'?

Well, unless something very fundamental changes, here it comes!

By increasing the amount of Sky money to Ipswich for a season. Add to that with Nicholls, KK and King it "should" be a successful team which means more fans through the gate. Success brings in the crowds. Ipswich have a good fanbase which could be great if the team is at the right end of the table.

OK, So that gets Ipswich through next season. But what happens the year after? Ipswich are in the same boat, and who else says they want what Ipswich had the year before?

I didn't say this is what should be done. I said I was just thinking out loud, putting some ideas out there.

Remember, if the EL falls below a certain amount of teams, the whole PL/EL is devided up again to even it out. There isn't an "us and them". They are all in it together but we would probably see a very weak EL only slightly stronger than what the PL is now. And we don't want that.

Unfortunately there are promoters out there who care only about their own club and couldn't give a flying fart about the sport as a whole.

As long as these people are running the sport then the Elite League will continue to decline further.

There are things that could be done but if they level the playing field too much then certain people will just say no for fear that their own team may not be dominant enough.

Sad but true.

Unfortunately there are promoters out there who care only about their own club and couldn't give a flying fart about the sport as a whole.

As long as these people are running the sport then the Elite League will continue to decline further.

There are things that could be done but if they level the playing field too much then certain people will just say no for fear that their own team may not be dominant enough.

Sad but true.

I don't believe there's a single promoter in the EL that thinks that.

Promoters want to be successful because it is a sport and you want to win. But they are also business people and want their club to make a profit. Without enough clubs in the league there would be empty racedays and that means no money at all. Promoters want to make a profit first and foremost, and then success on track second.

We are lucky at Poole in that we have a very successful club who does make a profit and does win trophies. But without opposition we would have neither.

But in any sport there are clubs who win a lot and others that win nothing and just make up the numbers. Take Chelsea and Wigan. Wigan fans know they will NEVER win the Premier league but are happy to be in the top flight. Should Chelsea give Drogba to Wigan to even it up a bit?

EL teams all have the benefit of starting equal, due to the points limit.