British Speedway Forum
SteveEvans

Usa Touring Team 2011

We are planning to return in April, most likely before Easter so we don't clash with the start of the mainline USA Season. There are quite a few tracks who are already sending us invites and a good number of riders interested in coming including a ground breaking rider who would for sure turn heads!

More info over the winter as I have it!

Wouldnt mind seeing the Dream Team back at Perry Barr next season, really enjoyed their visit last season. Would prefer it be against the Brummies this time if at all possible. :)

Our 'experiment' of PL level matches worked well at Sheffield and Ipswich and I would hope that this Spring tour has us race 2 PL level teams and 4 NL. Birmingham works for us, short hop from base!

Don't think this is the USA Dream team, just another touring team which to my mind is not quite the same and much will depend on who they decide to bring over. The last touring team had two 50+ riders in Eddie and Shawn and a 35 yr old! Whilst it was nice to get to meet and chat with Shawn this time around, the tour to my mind should be all about the up and coming riders from the US who might fancy putting them themselves in the shop window so to speak.

Bryce Starks fits that to a tee and is a prime example of who should be in the team. Yes I agree some experinece is a good thing and accept that having Eddie in the team or someone like him is a bonus but not two of them and a 35 yr old! It might be nostagla but I'd prefer to go and see the youngsters race out of the two having seen both teams.

Just my view of course.

Don't think this is the USA Dream team, just another touring team which to my mind is not quite the same and much will depend on who they decide to bring over. The last touring team had two 50+ riders in Eddie and Shawn and a 35 yr old! Whilst it was nice to get to meet and chat with Shawn this time around, the tour to my mind should be all about the up and coming riders from the US who might fancy putting them themselves in the shop window so to speak.

Bryce Starks fits that to a tee and is a prime example of who should be in the team. Yes I agree some experinece is a good thing and accept that having Eddie in the team or someone like him is a bonus but not two of them and a 35 yr old! It might be nostagla but I'd prefer to go and see the youngsters race out of the two having seen both teams.

Just my view of course.

Er....

It IS the very same team...

The organisation made some changes and underwent a re-branding / re-naming earlier this year...

I would love to see the team ride at Swindon, as their only previously planned visit to Blunsdon fell victim to the weather...

I missed the Dream Team at Rye earlier this year, but was thoroughly entertained at Lakeside by the American touring side ... Hopefully a return to Rye House is in the schedule.

All the above input is good and all opinions are valid. We definitely first and foremost want to showcase young talent on the team as the mission of the touring team is to feed riders into the Premier League. However, the older riders definitely bring experience and knowledge that helps the younger riders. We also like to bring a 'show' to the track - American riders for as long I have gone to speedway bring a certain flamboyance and pzazz that no other nation brings.

You also need to bear in mind that the riders pay their own way to be on the tour - thats air tickets and bike rentals / shipping and they cannot hope to make that kind of money back from riding for National League base pay. So, whilst there are usually 12 or so riders who have interst in the tour initially, when it comes down to money, finance and time off of work or school, we somehow magically always seem to end up with 7 riders.

The last tour just finished I think had the by far the best team spirit and atmosphere of all of the tours I have attended.

We are, as stated above the Dream Team with a new branding and the direction has changed a little. I run this now like an actual speedway club and there will always be young prospects but I also like to bring the riders I want to bring. Robbie Sauer for example - great guy, has been very loyal to my tracks and has wanted to do this a long time. Shame he could never get to grips with his bike as he's a much better rider than what we saw.

We will keep on doing this as we bring a good show that always goes down well with the fans and entertainment and keeping fans happy, regardless of if the riders are 15 or 51 is what it is all about!

Edited by SteveEvans

We will keep on doing this as we bring a good show that always goes down well with the fans and entertainment and keeping fans happy, regardless of if the riders are 15 or 51 is what it is all about!

That's what we pays our money to see ... Long may that policy continue

All the above input is good and all opinions are valid. We definitely first and foremost want to showcase young talent on the team as the mission of the touring team is to feed riders into the Premier League. However, the older riders definitely bring experience and knowledge that helps the younger riders. We also like to bring a 'show' to the track - American riders for as long I have gone to speedway bring a certain flamboyance and pzazz that no other nation brings.

You also need to bear in mind that the riders pay their own way to be on the tour - thats air tickets and bike rentals / shipping and they cannot hope to make that kind of money back from riding for National League base pay. So, whilst there are usually 12 or so riders who have interst in the tour initially, when it comes down to money, finance and time off of work or school, we somehow magically always seem to end up with 7 riders.

The last tour just finished I think had the by far the best team spirit and atmosphere of all of the tours I have attended.

We are, as stated above the Dream Team with a new branding and the direction has changed a little. I run this now like an actual speedway club and there will always be young prospects but I also like to bring the riders I want to bring. Robbie Sauer for example - great guy, has been very loyal to my tracks and has wanted to do this a long time. Shame he could never get to grips with his bike as he's a much better rider than what we saw.

I support Steve on his comments, we know ourselves from running Team Viking how hard it is to run a touring team. In the 6 years that the Dream/Touring team have been going Steve has done a fantastic job in dedicating his time to showcasing young American talent in this country and we should take all our hat off to him. Keep up the good work Steve

P.s we are gonna kick your asses this time at Newcastle lol ;)

I run this now like an actual speedway club and there will always be young prospects but I also like to bring the riders I want to bring. /quote]

Don't expect me to buy a bloomin season ticket mate!!! icon_lol.gificon_smile_wink.gif

Er....

It IS the very same team...

The organisation made some changes and underwent a re-branding / re-naming earlier this year...

I would love to see the team ride at Swindon, as their only previously planned visit to Blunsdon fell victim to the weather...

I stand corrected! Thanks Jeff! Did think it a bit odd that there it was being portrayed differently!

Not sure I agree 100% with Steve's direction from another post "but I also like to bring the riders I want to bring" sounds very much like the "little boys club" to coin the phrase. Hopefully it isn't like that as talent whether your face fits or not should be encouraged.

All that said, it is an opportunity for these guys and not doubt takes up alot of time and effort to organise, so, I guess thanks Steve for doing it as I have seen these guys in both guises now and have enjoyed both although if pushed, I enjoyed the Dream Team visit more, that might have been due to location and many other variables though!

Again, just my view!

Come on guys Steve is doing a great job in organising trips for some US riders,lets be positive and not all doom and gloom on this forum.I hope they ride at monmore against my team,the heathens next spring.

I'm glad people are talking and giving their views!

Just to clarify, I don't think I perhaps used the best phrasing above regarding riders I want to bring. There aren't favorites and an open door policy is in place. When a tour is being planned it is formally announced and applications are received and I have never turned anyone away because their face did not fit. There are many talented young Americans who have not made it over to the UK yet on the tour but that is down to their own circumstances of time, money and fitness. I hope guys like Michael Raines and Tyson Talkington, amongst others, who are huge talents find their way onto the next tour.

However, we have to bring 7 riders. So if I am short of the 7 then yes, I'm going to approach riders who do not perhaps fit the young criteria and will offer places based on having top end strength (McConnell) or at the lower end, those who deserve a chance of a lifetime due to contributions and support of American Speedway (Sauer).

Of course living in close proximity for 16 days - flying together, accommodations, bus, you want to make sure that the riders who come will work as a team and have team chemistry. One bad attitude or over negative person can put a downer on all, though such is very much in the minority.

It also should be noted we have toured 3 times in the last 12 months and in this time we have brought over 14 different riders. The reason we are touring so much is based on Kenny Ingalls and Tyson Burmeister's progress, it seems that those riders who could make it to PL level need three tours to get to that level. Three is the magic number! So, if we only came every year or two as was being done, it would take 3-4 years to get a rider PL ready. In the case of Tyson Burmeister it has taken him 12 months to be of the level where he can make it in the UK.

So no, we don't have 'favorites' based on who the promoter likes but we do obviously invest time in those who have the ability to make it in England and also pull in older riders where needed to take the pressure off the kids and fill out spare places with worthy people. If we only came every 1-2 years as we did we could field an Under 21 or Under 25 team but we'd never get anyone good enough to be signed while they are still young!

Hope this clarifies what I actually meant to say!

Edited by SteveEvans