British Speedway Forum
SteveEvans

Usa Touring Team 2011

The American Team has Austin Novratil riding for the rest of the tour as of tomorrow night. That's 4 teenagers (Joey Holt is getting good reviews) and 3 older rider coaches.

These tours are tough to arrange and you can only bring the riders who can afford to come. With two riders being signed up in the last year we for sure need to rebuild but the only way to do that is to keep bringing riders through the system and to keep touring. Our tours always get better as they progress and please bear in mind you have 7 riders on borrowed biked on tracks twice the size as back home. We knew this team wasn't as strong as before and to compensate we had Kenny Ingalls and Ronnie Correy lined up to ride for us - Kenny is injured and Ronnie blew up his bike and did not want to borrow equipment.

We like to win when we can but when we get promoters showing interest in our riders, as has already occurred with Holt, it is all worth while!!!

We looked decent at Brum, awful at Rye and better last night. We are fully aware we are a decent rider short and each guy is riding out of position, so adding Austin will make it better.

Novratil was pure class when he came over last year. Gutsy and exciting to watch! I hope he has continued his development as if he has he will be knocking on the door of a PL place. He was one of the guys I hoped Plymouth would sign for this season. Good luck to him, hopefully he can do enough to gain a PL contract somewhere.

And what bearing does that have on this year?

All the more reason for withdrawing if they're not up to it - which they clearly aren't - rather than serving up substandard novice fayre.

Did you enjoy this evening's meeting on SKY? I certainly didn't, it was so one sided - should the plug be pulled on Lakeside?

Backless, this is a forum and as such you have a right to your opinion but as someone very much involved with the American Touring Team I have to say I disagree with it.

These lads are working their butts off trying to put on a show for you all and I would like to thank all the wonderful people at Newcastle last night who were singing the praises of Joey Holt.

Birmingham was a hard meeting as we had not been able to practice but it was a great meeting full of 'entertainment'. Rye House (Hawks), we went a little astray and to the fans there, we apologize for the not so fantastic performance.

But then at Newcastle last night I think the Americans came back with a fire in their bellies and were ready to put the night before way behind them. I enjoyed the meeting, maybe it wasn't such a 'show' as we needed to get 15 heats into 1 hour racing time!

Each year brings different riders, they all have something to offer. I love touring with them as they are such a genuine bunch of guys.

The First Aid team at Rye House certainly like them. They got to know them pretty well and made a point of coming to us at the end of the meeting and wished to express their thanks for their politeness and concern when riders went down. They said - we don't get that normally!

I know that doesn't make for good racing, but it does make for good people.

im looking forward to Austin riding as he has a lot to offer but if he wasn't here I would still be singing the praises of the other tour members - they work so hard at every meeting on borrowed bikes and battered bodies with this schedule.

I hope the fans at Wolves (Dudley), Plymouth, Workington and Buxton, our remaining fixtures, appreciate the efforts that is going into making this tour possible.

3 down, 4 to goparty0040.gif

Advertise it as an opportunity to meet nice, genuine, guys then :blink:

Evidently, the drafting in of Novratil (wh was very good last year) suggests that I'm not the only one who thinks that Sunday wasn't good enough.

Advertise it as an opportunity to meet nice, genuine, guys then :blink:

Evidently, the drafting in of Novratil (wh was very good last year) suggests that I'm not the only one who thinks that Sunday wasn't good enough.

You cant just phone the States and say Austin we need you!

Austin was booked to come over to the UK some time ago, long before the current tour started but just in case things didn't go to plan we thought it best not to advertise it until we were 100% sure.

Sorry you weren't happy with the team, but thats the chance you take. As I say, last nights SKY meeting was terrible, but I will probably watch again next week.

If you choose to come to another Touring Team meeting another year you will be welcomed, if not there will be plenty more that will happily stand in your space and cheer on all riders from both teams.

Thats the way it goes.

Did you enjoy this evening's meeting on SKY? I certainly didn't, it was so one sided -

Sorry you weren't happy with the team, but thats the chance you take. As I say, last nights SKY meeting was terrible, but I will probably watch again next week.

:blink:

I along with a fair number waqtched the meeting last night and thought it was pretty damn good.Not sure what you want from a speedway meeting,but i like riders overtaking opposition riders.And i am not the only one who thought that happened a fair bit last night.Scorelines are one thing and i guess they are of a lesser importance to me as a neutral fan.

By all accounts a couple of the US meetings weren't close scorelines or good racing.Someone said previous tours have been good entertainment.But as i understood it,this is a slightly different venture.It isn't the Dream team any more and it isn't quite the same management team.So it shouldn't be riding on the back of the success of a previous tour.It has to stand alone.It might be about "living the dream" to the riders,but the punters want their monies worth.Good that it seems the cavalry are coming and hope the rest of the tour is a success.I have always been a fan of the American style razz-matazz that they can bring to speedway.I think speedway needs one or two top American riders.Not sure the previous tours have uncovered anyone who meets the criteria,but from little acorns.....

You cant just phone the States and say Austin we need you!

Actually, you can. But that's a technological development that's been in place for quite some time.

Austin was booked to come over to the UK some time ago, long before the current tour started but just in case things didn't go to plan we thought it best not to advertise it until we were 100% sure.

So, it's down to the organisers to arrange their schedule to suit the rider availablity & turn out with a proper team at ALL venues - or does the additional expense that the (in this case) Newcastle promotion & public went to come secondary to a troupe of novices "living the dream"?

Sorry you weren't happy with the team, but thats the chance you take. <snip>If you choose to come to another Touring Team meeting another year you will be welcomed, if not there will be plenty more that will happily stand in your space and cheer on all riders from both teams.

Thats the way it goes.

Nice attitude. Is that the same one adopted by the management? If that's the case, expect a more relaxed schedule next year.

Repeated comments about the EL Sky fixture are irrelevant. Unless you're trying to defend your substandard fayre as "we're rubbish, but so are others".

:blink:

I along with a fair number waqtched the meeting last night and thought it was pretty damn good.Not sure what you want from a speedway meeting,but i like riders overtaking opposition riders.And i am not the only one who thought that happened a fair bit last night.Scorelines are one thing and i guess they are of a lesser importance to me as a neutral fan.

By all accounts a couple of the US meetings weren't close scorelines or good racing.Someone said previous tours have been good entertainment.But as i understood it,this is a slightly different venture.It isn't the Dream team any more and it isn't quite the same management team.So it shouldn't be riding on the back of the success of a previous tour.It has to stand alone.It might be about "living the dream" to the riders,but the punters want their monies worth.Good that it seems the cavalry are coming and hope the rest of the tour is a success.I have always been a fan of the American style razz-matazz that they can bring to speedway.I think speedway needs one or two top American riders.Not sure the previous tours have uncovered anyone who meets the criteria,but from little acorns.....

Well, there y'go.

Although it doesn't even appear to be the case of calling for the cavalry when it's dawned on the management that what theyre serving up is substandard - it seems that the cavalry were going to turn up anyway in it's own sweet time. It doesn't matter if the first half of the tour is a rip off, at least WE get to live the dream :rolleyes:

I watched the Birmingham vs USA match last Thursday, and really enjoyed the racing, Castro and McConnell were all action plus Nicol and Burman had a good go as well. Ok the rest were off the pace, but I understand it's a tough transition from stateside to here for a lot of the guys plus their attitude towards their hosts and the fans was spot on before, during and after the meeting.

I watched the Birmingham vs USA match last Thursday, and really enjoyed the racing, Castro and McConnell were all action plus Nicol and Burman had a good go as well. Ok the rest were off the pace, but I understand it's a tough transition from stateside to here for a lot of the guys plus their attitude towards their hosts and the fans was spot on before, during and after the meeting.

Backless - I think you have made your point clear now, Time to move on :rolleyes:

Sandie - I have to disagree with you on the SKY meeting. The score would say it was one sided but there was plenty of passing from behind and some good racing compared to the 2 previous tv meetings which I found boring.

By the way just seen that you have Joe Screen and Lubos Tomicek guesting for you at Plymouth. We got a lot of stick for using non scandinavians in our matches but you should beat a national league standard side (Devils) :party:

I'll be cheering for you on friday - hope you can wipe the smile of Mr Bowdens face :lol:

Saw the American touring team at Monmore tonight, was very impressed with Mikey Buman (16+1 off 7 rides). If the american authorities could put time and effort into Mike Buman, Austin Novratil, Gino Manzaries and Bryce Starks i think they could have 4 decent riders on their hands in a couple of years time.

Saw the American touring team at Monmore tonight, was very impressed with Mikey Buman (16+1 off 7 rides).

That is good to hear, he scored but three at Perry Barr less than a week ago which just goes to show the improvement possible (and TBF always shown on these tours) as more experience is gained...

Saw the American touring team at Monmore tonight, was very impressed with Mikey Buman (16+1 off 7 rides). If the american authorities could put time and effort into Mike Buman, Austin Novratil, Gino Manzaries and Bryce Starks i think they could have 4 decent riders on their hands in a couple of years time.

Don't forget Kenny too. He was doing okay last season until he broke his leg.

-----------------------------------------------

Buman was very good value last night. Fair play to the lad because when others were struggling to get around 4 laps early on he rode steady, got there and picked up the points. He was still able to hold his own as the track improved too. So a bit of fortune about a few points but he would have scored double figures anyway.

Sorry if this has been covered, I don't have time to read through the thread. The programme stated that Novratil has twice broken his ankle recently and that was the reason for his late arrival. He fell in his first ride last night and despite looking to have fallen very heavily on his shoulder (looked a likely collarbone break the way he went down) he obviously aggravated the ankle injury because he limped off track and took no further part as a precaution.

I've seen the Americans at Perry Barr and Monmore in the last week. Some of the lads are clearly not up to our NL standard but c'est la vie, the rest have been very good value. I've left both meetings feeling I had my money's worth. Castro v Royno in heat 11 was a cracker last night. *hopes it makes its way on to the Heathens website* :approve:

Yep, what a score by Mikey Buman. Very impressive and that should make a lot of people sit up and notice him. I read that he's from New York too - unusual for a Speedway rider!

Good luck to him anyway and I shall be looking out for his future scores.

A much closer overall scoreline was good to see last night, and would have been even closer if not for three Heathens 5-1s to finish the meeting. All this of course after the very unfortunate exits of both Jon Armstrong and Austin Novratil, who were both missed.

These Trips are not easy to organise, both on this side of the Atlantic, nor on the American side, they are very time consuming and rely on volunteers entirely,with help from Sponors to varying degrees, and family and friends, No its not possible to get things right all of the time, but people do there best, and thats all one can ask for, sometimes things are beyond control. May i suggest to those whose only aim appears to be to criticise that rather than sit behind a keyboard "very easy to do" and find fault, then they either step forward to offer help, or offer some sponsorship whereby the product can be strengthened so that the spectator can have more evenly balanced teams to watch.

Yes in an ideal world it would be great to watch again a fully fledged Test Series GB versus The USA, Kenny Ingalls, Ryan Fisher Eddie Castro, Chris Kerr, Gino Manzares,Ricky Wells, plus some of the ex EL riders who still ride in the USA, now whether this team would be stong enough to compete against a PL Strength GB Team i dont know, but they would surely be crowd pullers, and the BSPA should be able to arrange sponsorship with SKY who i feel sure would love to Televise the series.

Any critisicm should be aimed at people who run the Sport on BOTH sides of the Atlantic, not at voluntary helpers and organisers who give up there time freely, nor riders who give of there best, albeit at times it is not good enough. Yes its fine to moan and groan, but sometimes one has to think is there something I could do to help put things right, and are my Criticisms Fully justified.

Any way, good luck for the rest of the Tour, and long may they continue. :wink:

I think last nights performance got us back on track. A great night of racing. We both lost our 2nd best riders and USA also had Joey Holt riding over an injury, making him look a shadow of himself at Newcastle.

As far as Plymouth and our guests go, the original plan was to use Ingalls and Fisher. One is injured, one now has a team so we drafted in guests who have at least raced in the USA!!!

Its been a difficult start to the tour but as per usual, match four is where we really get it going.