British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FenTiger666

Nl And Agm This Weekend

With the sad demise of Bournemouth and now Weymouth, and despite a couple of months of "nearly" news about Mildenhall the BSPA are going to have to do something they dont seem capable of.

They are going to have to make decisions about the NL this weekend, get them agreed, and get them published asap. We cannot wait until January like we have to year in year out!!

Speedway at all levels will have a mountain to climb for next season with the country in finance difficulties.

Promoters are going to have to work all winter to make sure the crowds are ready and willing to pay to watch speedway next March/April and they will need to start now.

The problem is, no-one knows who will be in the NL next season, or under what rules.

I will say it again, we cannot wait until January.

The BSPA need to confirm the teams and the rules at the end of this weekend so promoters can start promoting now.

If the young British lads are to improve they need team places set now, and a good winters practice so they are ready for next season.

The National League and British speedway as a whole stands at the crossroads, if the BSPA dont get it sorted this weekend then there may be no future at all.

Come on Management Committee, make some decisions and let everyone know where they stand.

It has been reported elsewhere that the Nl conference this year is in December, so half way between when it usually is and when it needs to be!!

I just cant believe the BSPA always insist on having the NL AGM much later than the EL/PL one. Whilst there are problems with the Elite League and Ipswich there are also problems with the National League and the league set up. The sport in this country is going through a rough time that affects ALL 3 leagues so why should the National League have their AGM later, we need firm action NOW.

I just cant believe the BSPA always insist on having the NL AGM much later than the EL/PL one. Whilst there are problems with the Elite League and Ipswich there are also problems with the National League and the league set up. The sport in this country is going through a rough time that affects ALL 3 leagues so why should the National League have their AGM later, we need firm action NOW.

On another thread someone says the NL AGM is not until the 11th January, does anyone know for sure what is going on?

Is it December or January?

The NL AGM is December 7th at which time decisions will hopefully be made and all teams give indication if they are running in 2011.

Dale,

Thanks for the clarification on the date, and I have to say that this is one of the most positive steps forward in the NL for a few years. For so long, decisions have been on hold until well into the New Year and all concerned with the NL, whether it be promoters, riders or spectators couldn't get organised until very close to the season starting. There is no excuse now.

Martin

call me cynical but will December 7th NL AGM still go ahead if they haven't sorted the elite league problems .. or will the elite take preference ??

1.I just hope that all Commonwealth riders partiality or not, are given 5 point averages, to have someone come in on a 3 point average,who finishes with a 7 plus,gives that Team a distinct advantage, and encourages NL Promoters to look abroad rather than give UK Youngsters a Team Place.

2.The minimum average should be a 2 point average,and hopefully we can see all Teams have to include 1 Two pointer in there team.

3.The NL to have a 40 point Overall team building limit.

4. Guests only allowed for an absent No 1 rider.

5. RR only allowed for absent Heat leaders, who have been absent on not more than three occasions, this will eliminate RR for riders who are reguarly absent throughout the season for whatever reason.

6. The League Championship decided by Total points ie NO Play Offs.

7. The League Shield, to be decided by Top Four Teams racing Home and away against each other.

8. All League meetings to be completed by August 14th.

9. NL Trophy to be competed for by Teams who finish 5th to 8th in the League.

10. KO Cup to remain the same, but completed by end of July.

11. No 4 Team Tournament.

12. No Pairs event.

13. NL riders Championship.

14. NL Junior Riders Championship Under 18 at Jan 1st 2011, or a similar format encouraging riders who are perhaps not No1,s or Heat Leaders.

These are just a few ideas that i would like to see introduced at the NL agm or variations on these.

Looks like a list of reasons why Dudley didn't win anything to me.

One or two points in reply -

1. You can't impose a higher average on a rider with patriality. If the rider has a British passport then he must be treated as though he were as British as you or I. Isn't it a gamble on an untried rider becoming a star that promotor take to try to win the league? From your first league meeting at home to Buxton, who was on a 'false' average Tom Perry or Rob Branford?

2. Why change from 3.00 back to 2.00? Are all newcomers to league racing 2.00's? If not, who decides which riders should be a 2.00? Which of these should be classed that way - a rider with 7-8 years of oval racing or a kid who 1st raced a 500 12 months ago? Rider 1, rider 2 or both?

5. The fixture list would go out of the window if this was introduced. Teams would be asking for meetings to be rearranged so that they could always track their best 7.

6. If they are the rules at the start of the season then so be it, this year it was decided via play-offs.

8. Not much chance if point 5 happens. Some tracks have difficulty in arranging their fixtures as it is.

10. -- Ditto --

Haha Neill in reply,Dudley didnt win anything bcuz they were not good enough, i didnt want to highlight some using of rules to their advantage by a Team i have always respected, but at the same time how can you have two Commonwealth riders of similar ability one on a 3 point average and one on a 5 point average ?? surely to have them all on a 5 point average is much fairer, its imaterial if they have a British passport <Technically>, where are they now ?? in the UK ??, no they choose to live in Australia, and i note some ride against the Young Brits in Australia at the moment.

Back to two points minimum from three, i tied this in with a minimal points reduction from 42 to 40, by the way who decides who is a three ??

Maybe i am old fashioned, but i have NEVER agreed with play offs, at the end of the season each Team should have ridden each other home and away, they are Champions end of, play offs are just an idea to have 1 other money making home meeting, and to please SKY, in the case of the Elite League.

How the heck can a Team include a rider who is going to miss a large chunk of meetings due to unavailability for a reason other than injury..? unless it is tactical reasons, I remember years ago Alf Busk, Coventry rider he was covered by RR many times didnt like the rule then, dont like it now.

Where in that post did i imply that i said i didnt agree with the play offs to decide things in 2010, and finally i take it YOU are perfectly happy SQUEEZING important fixtures in at the tail end of the season, when there are blank weekends when the weather is far more suitable throughout June/July/August, yes 10 home League meetings spread over 5 months when you include April/May WOW thats difficult to arrange..

Edited by greyhoundp