British Speedway Forum
vog

Stoke Potters

I'd like to welcome the Potters to the NL, and hope the Potters fans embrace the product at this level. I think they'll be pleasantly surprised by how good the racing is. It will be great to have another Northern side to visit as well as Scunthorpe, and I'm sure Stoke will be guaranteed a huge gate when they race Dudley.

So, today has seen the news that Stoke are going to drop down to the NL next season. I wonder if we will be able to build a competitive team in this league!

Start with the same side you finished with this year ... That should be good for mid table at least!

altho the stoke fans will be gutted i hope they continue to support there team,cuz if not they might not have one for 2012!!!ive got to admit i never thought the nl would be as good as it was last year.to all stoke fans,give it a chance i think you will be surprised by the quality of the racing.also roll on the dudley / stoke meetings. it will be nice avin a local ish track :wink:

People must realise surely that any speedway is better than none! The NL as a product isn't that far behind the PL in terms of close racing. Although the standard of the top NL riders is around PL reserves, the racing is on the whole tremendous to watch! Plymouth were without a club for decades but the CL/NL has been our route back in, Stoke fans must not give up on their club. If the promotion build a good team, which i'm sure they will, Stoke will be back among the trophies!!

I think this move might be the death-knell for Stoke speedway. As a huge Potters fan, I am gutted that this has happened because this is such a huge step backwards for the club. I mean absolutely no disrespect towards NL clubs and their fans when I write this but I will be amazed if the attendances at Loomer Road ever reach the levels the current promotion seem to think they will. The racing at Stoke is always second-to-none for entertainment and some great riders have appeared for the team since I have followed them over the past 5 or 6 seasons. This decision, though, shows what an absolute shambles the current promotion is, especially with their clear lack of desire to be positive. They spent most of last season tracking a team of reserves/second strings (a group of riders that cannot be faulted for their eforts in what was clearly an under-strength 1-7) and the reason for their failure to show any ambition and bring in a proper heat leader has now become clear - a lack of money or willingness to spend or raise it. The facilities for supporters at the stadium are atrocious and I doubt that ticket prices will drop sufficiently to fall in line with the quality of the product on offer. It's nothing to do with people realising that some speedway is better than none. Stoke fans have supported their team with great passion through thick and thin (largely thin) since I have been attending and this is in spite of the people who run the club. This move will be worse than having no team at all and is a complete insult to every single Potters fan. I only hope by some miracle that this will not lead to result in what I expect it to.

Seems like Stoke arn't the only one's dropping to the NL.

I just heard the same

Ah so that is what's happening to Ipswich!

I think this move might be the death-knell for Stoke speedway. As a huge Potters fan, I am gutted that this has happened because this is such a huge step backwards for the club. I mean absolutely no disrespect towards NL clubs and their fans when I write this but I will be amazed if the attendances at Loomer Road ever reach the levels the current promotion seem to think they will. The racing at Stoke is always second-to-none for entertainment and some great riders have appeared for the team since I have followed them over the past 5 or 6 seasons. This decision, though, shows what an absolute shambles the current promotion is, especially with their clear lack of desire to be positive. They spent most of last season tracking a team of reserves/second strings (a group of riders that cannot be faulted for their eforts in what was clearly an under-strength 1-7) and the reason for their failure to show any ambition and bring in a proper heat leader has now become clear - a lack of money or willingness to spend or raise it. The facilities for supporters at the stadium are atrocious and I doubt that ticket prices will drop sufficiently to fall in line with the quality of the product on offer. It's nothing to do with people realising that some speedway is better than none. Stoke fans have supported their team with great passion through thick and thin (largely thin) since I have been attending and this is in spite of the people who run the club. This move will be worse than having no team at all and is a complete insult to every single Potters fan. I only hope by some miracle that this will not lead to result in what I expect it to.

Can't argue with the comments about the stadium or the supporters, but otherwise I think you are being very unfair indeed and your post smacks of the snobbery that PL supporters object so much to when it is dished out by EL fans yet hand it out themselves where the NL is concerned.

Its the easiest thing in the world to tell others how to spend their money when you are taking no financial risk yourself. There are many who have miracle cures to raise money or supporter levels but I have never met one yet who will put forward a single penny of their own money to achieve that.

The simple fact is the supporter base at Stoke isn't big and Dave Tattum does not have a bottomless pit of funds to use on riders or promotion.

He's faced with three choices : sell up, close the track or cut costs. Potential buyers for speedway tracks aren't exactly queueing up - Weymouth couldn't be sold for £1 - so he has definitely taken the next best option.

The fact is the standard of entertainment at Stoke will remain the same because the level makes no difference to the quality of the racing. To all intents and purposes, little will change other than the fact that the reduced costs might allow the Potters to put out a team capable of challenging for the league.

Your highlighted remark is arrogant. Read the distraught comments on the Weymouth for sale thread and you will see why I think that.Speaking personally, I was absolutely delighted when I found that Mildenhall would continue after 2008 because I still had a team to support and I had far more reason to be gutted when it closed last season.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

This move will be worse than having no team at all

Surely it's better to drop down a level and keep the club alive rather than close down altogether?