Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
vog

Stoke Potters

There might be more clubs in NL than PL

I highly doubt that to be fair. With Bournmouth and Weymouth set to close, as well as Plymouth set to move up, that gives 8 teams, 9 including Stoke. 14 in the PL, plus Leicester and rumoured to be Ipswich, that's 16. Are 4 more teams going to drop down? Or is there going to be the creation of 7 more teams?

Mildenhall back in? Plymouth staying? One mor PL dropping down? Brum moving up?

Don't you just love rumours

Edited by scorps123

I highly doubt that to be fair. With Bournmouth and Weymouth set to close, as well as Plymouth set to move up, that gives 8 teams, 9 including Stoke.

Hmm, would only be nine under those circs IF Mildenhall are back in.. As far as I've heard there's still no news either way on that...

I would be surprised if the PL has less than 14 and the NL has less than 9/10 teams for the new season. As for Stoke, whilst I can understand Potters fans feeling their promotion have done things wrong (I have no clue what the promotion have done over the years and how the fans have been treated), but despite dropping down a league the level of racing and excitement will still remain! These young lads (and some older ones) are bloody good racers and you don't get any primadona's unlike the EL. It somewhat annoys me that fans of teams in a league above continue to dismiss anything below that level! I hope Stoke fans give the NL a shot as I really think the Potters along with the Heathens will be very good sides next year.

Can't argue with the comments about the stadium or the supporters, but otherwise I think you are being very unfair indeed and your post smacks of the snobbery that PL supporters object so much to when it is dished out by EL fans yet hand it out themselves where the NL is concerned.

Its the easiest thing in the world to tell others how to spend their money when you are taking no financial risk yourself. There are many who have miracle cures to raise money or supporter levels but I have never met one yet who will put forward a single penny of their own money to achieve that.

The simple fact is the supporter base at Stoke isn't big and Dave Tattum does not have a bottomless pit of funds to use on riders or promotion.

He's faced with three choices : sell up, close the track or cut costs. Potential buyers for speedway tracks aren't exactly queueing up - Weymouth couldn't be sold for £1 - so he has definitely taken the next best option.

The fact is the standard of entertainment at Stoke will remain the same because the level makes no difference to the quality of the racing. To all intents and purposes, little will change other than the fact that the reduced costs might allow the Potters to put out a team capable of challenging for the league.

Your highlighted remark is arrogant. Read the distraught comments on the Weymouth for sale thread and you will see why I think that.Speaking personally, I was absolutely delighted when I found that Mildenhall would continue after 2008 because I still had a team to support and I had far more reason to be gutted when it closed last season.

Top post, Halifaxtiger,

I'm sick to the back teeth of all these so called quote "huge supporters" coming on this forum and spouting utter rubbish about their teams promoter not spending enough money on the stadium and/or the team! :mad: Open your eyes, theirs a bloody recession going on out there!

Promoters like Dave Tattum haven't got bottomless pits of money you know. The cost of the day to day running of the stadium will of risen ten fold over the last five years, and thats before you spend any money upgrading it. Riders points money will have risen over the last few years. And all this is going on in a sport that is very poorly supported and has been for the last 25 years!

So all you who keep bleating on about what little, Dave Tattum has done for Stoke, put your hands in YOUR pockets and you pay Dave Tattum his losses every week! :approve: It's my bet that if you all club together you wouldn't be able to pay for the running of the electricity for just one meeting!

And as for some of the quotes iv'e read over the last 24 hours off people who say they will not go and watch Stoke in the National League, then thats your choice. But when the door to Loomer Rd does finally close for good, don't go pointing the finger at anyone else but your sorry selves :mad:

I first followed speedway as a small boy in the 1950's at Liverpool and when that track closed we went by train to Manchester to watch Belle Vue. And then when i was old enough and could afford my first car i traveled all over the county to watch this great sport. So if some of you can't stomach the prospect of seeing your team in the NL then i suggest you do the same. And those of you who can't stomach your promoter taking you into that division, then either put up or shut up!

Rant Over :mad:

Top post, Halifaxtiger,

I'm sick to the back teeth of all these so called quote "huge supporters" coming on this forum and spouting utter rubbish about their teams promoter not spending enough money on the stadium and/or the team! :mad: Open your eyes, theirs a bloody recession going on out there!

Promoters like Dave Tattum haven't got bottomless pits of money you know. The cost of the day to day running of the stadium will of risen ten fold over the last five years, and thats before you spend any money upgrading it. Riders points money will have risen over the last few years. And all this is going on in a sport that is very poorly supported and has been for the last 25 years!

So all you who keep bleating on about what little, Dave Tattum has done for Stoke, put your hands in YOUR pockets and you pay Dave Tattum his losses every week! :approve: It's my bet that if you all club together you wouldn't be able to pay for the running of the electricity for just one meeting!

And as for some of the quotes iv'e read over the last 24 hours off people who say they will not go and watch Stoke in the National League, then thats your choice. But when the door to Loomer Rd does finally close for good, don't go pointing the finger at anyone else but your sorry selves :mad:

I first followed speedway as a small boy in the 1950's at Liverpool and when that track closed we went by train to Manchester to watch Belle Vue. And then when i was old enough and could afford my first car i traveled all over the county to watch this great sport. So if some of you can't stomach the prospect of seeing your team in the NL then i suggest you do the same. And those of you who can't stomach your promoter taking you into that division, then either put up or shut up!

Harsh but true. :approve:

I am one of many potters fans who have been going to support the team for years, but we will not pay good money to watch the Iserwoods and Evans/Armstrongs of this world,I feel ashamed its has come to this and can think of loads of better things to send my money on next year.

I am one of many potters fans who have been going to support the team for years, but we will not pay good money to watch the Iserwoods and Evans/Armstrongs of this world,I feel ashamed its has come to this and can think of loads of better things to send my money on next year.

I urge you, "big lad", Give it a go, after half a dozen meetings the entertainment levels will be just as good as in the Premier League!

I follow the sport right through from the GP's, Elite League, Premier League and national League. And IMHO although the standard of riding is clearly better the further up the scale you go, the standard of entertainment isn't.

Please don't give up on your team. This is the time when they need you more than ever before!

Come on big lad be a good lad give the national league a chance. I have been a fan of conference /national league for fifteen years first at Buxton then at Plymouth.And the raceing is top class,you dont need the big names for the best speedway,the riders make more mistakes in national league so that leads to more passing hence better raceing.In the elite /premire the riders are less prone to mistakes hence alot of follow my leader races.Come on stoke fans give National league a chance,you wont be dissapointed. :D

Edited by bw double

I would just like to say I welcome The Potters to the NL, yes on paper it may look to be a step down, but sometimes in life you first have to go backwards to go forwards, yes the racing may not be so fast but i can assure you,these young guys for the most part, will give there all for and against you, i will look forward to my visits up to Stoke in 2011, will make a nice change to stop off at Stoke rather than drive thru on my way to Buxton.

Good luck, and dont get to downhearted, at least YOU still have a Team and Track. :wink:

Top post, Halifaxtiger,

Hopefully all of the Stoke supporters will go and support the NL side. If they don't, they will join the band of supporters that don't have a local track, and once it's gone, it won't come back at Loomer Road. Believe me, on a track like Stoke it will provide excellent racing and will probably be as good as some of the PL racing taht has been seen there.

You may not like the promotion but if you like your local speedway, keep supporting speedway at Loomer Road. Make Dave T an offer he can't refuse. If he is losing that much money every year, he may accept a sensible offer to offload the whole shooting match.

Edited by Great Central

Firstly can you provide me with the figures to back up your claim that the running costs have gone up so much.

Why am i expected to pay a promoter his losses if he cant run his business properly? would you give me your money if i was running a company badly?

The electricity bill i can cover on my own mate, its run on a dodgy generator so a few gallon of red diesel wont break my bank balance. Instead of accusing others of spouting utter rubbish, have a closer look at what you have posted fella. It seems to me you dont know the half of it. And no, im not a speedway nomad, im a Stoke speedway fan only. Home every week, and a few away ones also.

But i like many others are sick of hearing about 3 or 4 year plans than nothing materialises from. Seeing poor teams tracked each season as other clubs with similar crowd levels seem to do ok and compete.

If they actually promoted it instead of expecting folk to turn up anyway, then maybe the losses wouldnt be there.

If its losing so much money, i`ll swap that shiny BMW with private plates on it that the clubs financial director has for my car , that`ll save a few pound on fuel, car tax and insurance and they can put it towards covering their losses, along with your donation.

When David Tattum was interviwed on Signal 2 Radio, he said he wanted to build a young promising team that will entertain and challenge but also added one interesting statement.

One member of the team he wants to be an experienced rider that the fans can recognise and help develop the younger members. ..... Another comeback for Paul Pickering may be ?

Paul Pickering ? Very doubtful ...

Probably be Mark "Buzz" Burrows

Eric Monaghan or Nigel Crabtree ? No, but those two more likely than Pickers...

Will be Buzz I would have thought...