British Speedway Forum
tocha

Isle Of Wight 2011

The final ride then (assuming Starkey's signing is just a formality) is Rob Smith (here) , on a permanent deal from Rye House. The line-ups page have him on a 3.00 average (here) , yet his 2009 average was 6.22 at the time Rye House last declared their team (here) & speedway info's site has him on 6.00 (here) . Tbh the average doesn't really matter now

Edited by Islander15

One rider plus a No.8 to announce and a fair few points to play with! Anyone going to speculate as to who those two might be? :unsure:

Re Rob Smith - am I right in thinking he didn't have any NL league outings in 2010? Got this nagging feeling in my bonce though that I saw him in track action somewhere last year!

Courtesy of my old mate Rob Bamford, 23 years old Robs's career to date encompasses: (2004) Mildenhall; (2005) Wimbledon; (2006) Plymouth; (2007) Boston, Plymouth; (2008-09) Rye House II.

Edited by Bryn

The Isle of Wight have today announced the completion of their 1 to 7 with the signing of Paul Starke on a full transfer from Plymouth. For complete story go to:

http://www.speedwaygb.co/

All the best to Paul this year with IofW, its going to be very tight to get Rob into the team, Robs last cma with Rye House in 2009 was 6.22, with 3.21 left to fit him in, its going to be very tight, i hope he do get in, it will be good to see him back, i think he spent last year helping Lewis Bridger, i think he is to good not to be riding, he was well liked at Plymouth, and it was sad to see him go, another one of Mike Bowdens big mistakes,letting him go, like with Paul.

Edited by Roger MARTIN

I am intending to travel over to the island to watch some of the meetings this year. I have looked at the travel information on the IOW website to find that a taxi service has replaced the stadium bus service since I last visited Smallbrook for a speedway meeting. The travel information given is somewhat conflicting as it initially states:

"Wightlink Ferry services to the island also run on the Lymington to Yarmouth route. There is also

a Wightlink Flyer available. This is a foot passenger inclusive ticket. It includes return travel

on the Wightlink Fastcat from Portsmouth Harbour, return travel on the short train journey to

the end of the pier, travel by Ryde Taxi's to Smallbrook Stadium and entrance to

the Wightlink Islanders race meeting.

RAIL - Take the train to Portsmouth Harbour, and then by Fastcat Service at 6.15pm and 6.45pm

(terminal at the end of the platforms) to Ryde Pier. Then take the pier train to Ryde Esplanade.

The above information appears to indicate that supporters, holding the "Wightlink Flyer" ticket, should catch the train along the pier to Ryde Esplanade station to get the taxi service as was the case with the previous stadium bus service. However, the "TAXI" information, as shown below, states that the taxi service is "available from Ryde Pier Head" and therefore the train ride along the pier would, presumably, not be required anyway?

TAXI - A shared Taxi service is available from Ryde Pier Head on race nights. Taxi's leave at regular intervals

and are free for fans that have purchased the Wightlink Flyer Ticket.

I would be grateful if someone could clarify where the taxi pick up point will be, either Ryde Pier Head or Esplanade, and also what the Wightlink Flyer ticket will cost this season? The Wightlink website does not currently indicate any reference to a "Speedway Flyer" ticket offer whereas it does have the information for a "Raiders Flyer" ticket offer for travel to the Ice Hockey meetings!

Edited by brumspur

Hi brumspur

Wightlink Flyer

COST: £21.50 (remains the same as last year)

'Ryde Taxi' Pick-up point is the taxi rank at Ryde Pier Head, please produce your 'Wightlink Flyer ticket' and the taxi will take you direct to the stadium.

The 'Wightlink Flyer' includes; Ferry, Taxi, Stadium admission and programme.

For the return journey 'Ryde Taxis are based at the stadium and will return you to Ryde Pier to catch either the 9.45pm or 10.45pm ferry.

Hi brumspur

Wightlink Flyer

'Ryde Taxi' Pick-up point is the taxi rank at Ryde Pier Head, please produce your 'Wightlink Flyer ticket' and the taxi will take you direct to the stadium.

For the return journey 'Ryde Taxis are based at the stadium and will return you to Ryde Pier to catch either the 9.45pm or 10.45pm ferry.

Hi stressed,

Thank you for the information about the taxi service and "Wightlink Flyer" ticket. Much appreciated.

Edited by brumspur

Hi stressed,

Thank you for the information about the taxi service and "Wightlink Flyer" ticket. Much appreciated.

No problem glad I could help ;)

Hi brumspur

Wightlink Flyer

thanks for the info. that seems a much better system than last season with all the uncertainty regarding the bus turning up. :rolleyes: