British Speedway Forum
spin king

What Happen To

Don't know I'd go as far as most talented rider in the world ever, but certainly in the Collins family.

:):):) Yes Peter was probably better, rider, but for a racer Phil for me was a better racer, and was more exciting and more unpredictable, than Peter. :)

The only thing that made Peter more predicatable than Phil was that if he was behind you knew he was going to get past whereas with Phil he might not.

Good rider, though - Phil Collins. I remember him winning the Overseas Final at Belle Vue one year. I'd have to agree that Peter had the edge in pretty much every department though. (Unless Phil could gate - I can't remember, though being a Collins I'd say it was unlikely)

Don't know I'd go as far as most talented rider in the world ever, but certainly in the Collins family.

Wouldn't exactly stick my life on him being the best ever Norbold. But the Peter Collins of the mid-70s was definitely up there - he was magic. :D

For what is worth I think that a general rule of "the older the better" works with the Collins boys. Take a look at their main achievements:

Peter - World Champ, 4xWorld Pairs

Les - World no2, Intercontinental Champ

Phil - Overseas Champ, World Finallist

Neil - World Team Finallist

Steve - British Junior Grasstrack Champ

Edited by falcace

For what is worth I think that a general rule of "the older the better" works with the Collins boys. Take a look at their main achievements:

Peter - World Champ, 4xWorld Pairs

Les - World no2, Intercontinental Champ

Phil - Overseas Champ, World Finallist

Neil - World Team Finallist

Steve - British Junior Grasstrack Champ

Boris - Lives in the attic, seldom mentioned

Well I never knew that. :blink:

Edited by Liontamer

Well unless my memory fails me <thats all we have at cradley>,Peter never seemed to ride the Cradley track very well <i am sure someone will prove me wrong>for what reason i dont know,as it was far from a gaters track.Phil was the same as the other brothers could not gate to save his life.

:lol::oops:

i think Phil sang better than Peter.. :neutral: " i can feel it, coming in the air at night,.. oh lord.." "Physical touch", great,.. also he proved he can act better, saw him in the movie Buster..i do think he got a bit big headed when Genisis hit it big. To do all that, and fit a bike with such style as he did, he got i vote mon.. B)

Edited by sandman

Wouldn't exactly stick my life on him being the best ever Norbold. But the Peter Collins of the mid-70s was definitely up there - he was magic. :D

Yep, I'll go along with that.

:) If anybody else wants to contribute to this with any other former rider keep them coming.

I think now we have exhausted the who was the best Collins brother question. :D:D

I think now we have exhausted the who was the best Collins question. :D  :D

Not quite. We haven't discussed the merits of Eric Collins yet - rode for Wimbledon before the War. Was he as good as Neil? Or maybe Les? :)

Edited by norbold

Or Stoke's Mark Collins??

Brian Collins,... man these Collin's people sure are prolific. they are everywhere, here in the Bahamas, i live next door to Ganja Collins, and his brother is Sweet Simon Collins. dont think they ever rode speedway tho.. :neutral:

Thanks for that, nice to see Phil looking fit and healthy, just has a little less hair than I remember. B)B)B)

Guest swillworld

What about John Cook, the cowboy, from the states? he was really coming into his own at the end of the 80's then went overseas.....