British Speedway Forum
SCB

Why Is The Pl More Profitable?

Glasgow - £15.50

Ipswich - £15

Kings Lynn - £15

<snip>

Really, 50p to watch Glasgow than to watch King's Lynn? Yeah right!

Whilst I can see where you're coming from, I think you have picked the wrong tracks to compare.

Glasgow and Ipswich rent their respective stadiums on racenights, while the Chapmans own the Norfolk Arena. Therefore, the fixed cost of rent will of course be much higher for Ippo & Glasgow, with Kings Lynn Stars probably paying a peppercorn rent, if any at all.

The admission in the EL last season was £16 across the board, and I can see those teams that rent their stadiums charging £17 in the main next year, mainly due to the VAT increase.

Pl speedway is a rip off no wonder the crowds are so poor and clubs are having to pull out of the league .

ipswich?

Whilst I can see where you're coming from, I think you have picked the wrong tracks to compare.

But at the end of the day, if I have a product, it can be pretty good but if I charge twice as much as my compator because my supplier is not is good, my customers will become there customers.

My point is that is PL clubs can get away with charging the fans £15.50, surely the EL can get away with charging £18-19?

Ipswich have dropped down and dropped prices by £1, seriously? £1 difference between EL and PL? No wonder clubs want to be in the PL and not the EL, lets assume you get 1000 fans, thats "only" £1000 a week extra you get by riding in the EL. How much more do you think Hans Andersen is than Kyle Newman in a week? (bearing in mind, a week = 2 meetings, 1 home and 1 away)

Pl speedway is a rip off no wonder the crowds are so poor and clubs are having to pull out of the league .

Dont you mean EL?

The PL's bottom side Redcar, the worst team in Teesside speedway history, managed to pull a profit! So not sure what your on about.

But at the end of the day, if I have a product, it can be pretty good but if I charge twice as much as my compator because my supplier is not is good, my customers will become there customers.

My point is that is PL clubs can get away with charging the fans £15.50, surely the EL can get away with charging £18-19?

Ipswich have dropped down and dropped prices by £1, seriously? £1 difference between EL and PL? No wonder clubs want to be in the PL and not the EL, lets assume you get 1000 fans, thats "only" £1000 a week extra you get by riding in the EL. How much more do you think Hans Andersen is than Kyle Newman in a week? (bearing in mind, a week = 2 meetings, 1 home and 1 away)

If you look at it like that you have a point, but I think myself and most fans look at like this - no matter which main league - EL-PL I would pay the same to watch the Bears, obviously the PL teams are charging more than they should given the supposed gap in quality, but they get away with it. Redcar charge 14 not including programme and I dont think anyway last season thought it was good value for money, but still the crowds never dropped off like you would perhaps have expected.

Dont you mean EL?

The PL's bottom side Redcar, the worst team in Teesside speedway history, managed to pull a profit! So not sure what your on about.

I'm sure that characters like Orion and Shovlar would think the PL was the greatest thing in the world if their clubs were in it. Somehow supporting a club in the EL makes them in some odd way better people, well at least in their sad wind-up obsessed minds.

It was explained to me that a PL side can market to its local area, "Premier League" and non-speedway goers will associate that with seeing a top flight sport, also non-speedway goers will rarely see an EL match unless on TV - which is not the same, so charging a premium is OK.

My personal response is when do you see promoters promoting........they rely on the same fans. I think 15 quid is too much for PL though, however wages are going up this season with a number of bargain double uppers from EL as the leagues move closer together. Take Stuart Robson, didn´t he drop down once and was 10pts now a 6.5pt rider.....do think he is charging less for services?

Dont you mean EL?

Well said RecarRacer - I have said on this Forum before that some Elite League Supporters are a bit 'up themselves'. I don't like snobbery in any shape or form. The Premier League will do for me. It is a better product than the Elite League in my opinion. I totally agree that Elite League Supporters will say I am talking rubbish - that is their right and they are entitled to their opinion.

I would not dream of looking down on National League Supporters - but - neither will I look up to the Elite League Supporters - we are all the same - SPEEDWAY SUPPORTERS.

In my last paragraph - I am reminded of the sketch with Ronnie Barker, Ronnie Corbett and John Cleese where they were commenting on who was superior to whom - and - who knew their place. :wink::wink::wink:

I would happily pay any Elite League club £20 to watch good racing on a well prepared track with good stadium facilites and 2 full strength teams containing the odd GP rider and 3 genuine heat leaders, 2 Genuine second strings and 2 Genuine reserves followed by a 'proper' 2nd half.

But in reality when do we actually get this ?.

Too often i have come away thinking that i have wasted my £15.00 on 2 teams of 6 + R/R, a couple of lesser averaged guests and the rest made up of pl riders racing on a slick track, at a stadium that has seen better days eating overpriced food, followed by 2 x 15 yr old races.

This is why i went to just one meeting last season.

If anything the EL promoters have been getting away with charging @£15 for substandard fayre for too long.

By all means put the prices up at all levels but the product has to be value for money whatever league it refers to.

I would happily pay any Elite League club £20 to watch good racing on a well prepared track with good stadium facilites and 2 full strength teams containing the odd GP rider and 3 genuine heat leaders, 2 Genuine second strings and 2 Genuine reserves followed by a 'proper' 2nd half.

But in reality when do we actually get this ?.

Too often i have come away thinking that i have wasted my £15.00 on 2 teams of 6 + R/R, a couple of lesser averaged guests and the rest made up of pl riders racing on a slick track, at a stadium that has seen better days eating overpriced food, followed by 2 x 15 yr old races.

This is why i went to just one meeting last season.

If anything the EL promoters have been getting away with charging @£15 for substandard fayre for too long.

By all means put the prices up at all levels but the product has to be value for money whatever league it refers to.

Some valid points IMO

The Premier League will do for me. It is a better product than the Elite League in my opinion. I totally agree that Elite League Supporters will say I am talking rubbish - that is their right and they are entitled to their opinion.

Each to their own, and ultimately what's better comes down to perceived entertainment and value for money. I've seen good and bad meetings at all levels, but the advantage of the Premier League is better continuity and more variety.

I think what needs to be recognised though, is that the Premier League can really only exist in its current form whilst there's an Elite League. It functions as it does because its member teams have made the decision not to run at a higher level, and as a consequence more-or-less accept the standard of riders and levels of costs in the league. However, if the Elite League went away for some reason, you'd start seeing exactly the same problems in the Premier League as well.

With respect to price though, I think 15 pounds is far too much for any level of speedway - it should be closer to a tenner, certainly at Premier level. Nevertheless, if Premier teams are able to charge 15 quid and even turn a profit, then one wonders why the Elite teams are bothering with the supposedly better riders and losing money hand-over-fist... :blink:

SCB, stop being a EL snob. ;) PL offers just as much entertainment as EL, and therefore admission prices should be around the same. Although I think the most a British Speedway domestic meeting should cost £10. Escalating admission costs in the last 10-15 years have been one of the major factors in stopping people, in particular families, from attending.

Speedway used to be a cheap sport to attend, these days it's not. As a sport that appeals to the working classes, admission prices should be kept low.

I would go for:

EL £10

PL £10

NL £8

All the best

Rob

Excellent post. I have long said that reduced admission prices would increase income far more than putting them up.

It would also increase crowd size, create a better atmosphere, make it far more likely that newcomers would return.

Excellent post. I have long said that reduced admission prices would increase income far more than putting them up.

It would also increase crowd size, create a better atmosphere, make it far more likely that newcomers would return.

have you any proof for that statement?

I am sure that promoters maximise their income, and if that was the case they would have tried it,

who, and where, are all these speeedway supporters who are sat at home waiting for the prices to drop?

have you any proof for that statement?

I am sure that promoters maximise their income, and if that was the case they would have tried it,

who, and where, are all these speeedway supporters who are sat at home waiting for the prices to drop?

:rolleyes:

The ones who show up every time a club does such a promotion.

It really does amaze me how often a certain few on here think the promoters are some sort of business geniuses and any idea suggested blatantly wouldn't work because.. Oh they would have tried it.

From where I sit, they have tried bugger all, hence the mess the sport is in.

:rolleyes:

The ones who show up every time a club does such a promotion.

It really does amaze me how often a certain few on here think the promoters are some sort of business geniuses and any idea suggested blatantly wouldn't work because.. Oh they would have tried it.

From where I sit, they have tried bugger all, hence the mess the sport is in.

The extra punters turn up because it's a promotion. It's a novelty to them. If you had that promotion the next week the uptake would be less. And the next week it'd probably be less still. I suspect that if Lakeside had that famous free entry promotion every week you'd see the crowd dip week on week.

Edited by eastern wolf