British Speedway Forum
tanya

New Year Classic - Newport

Bridger tootling around at the back <unacceptable language removed> before withdrawing didn't keep anyone happy.

Isn't that what he done when using a lay down engine at Peterborough at the start of last season???... dont blame the bike :)

Certain people may of came all the way from Eastbourne to watch Bridger ride as hes recently re-signed for them. To come all that way to discover he is riding a 20 year old bike and messing about is not on.

He didn't sound too thrilled to be an Eastbourne rider during his centre green interview

I thought leigh lanham was great today considering he wasn't on his own bike!

Considering he managed to avoid Doolan and Barker in the heats.

Another fab NYC, enjoyed the meeting. Track was good,crowd was good. Catering was a disgrace! we watched someone queue up 40 mins for a burger!! Should of been a seperate queue for drinks, no way i was going to stand there 40 minutes for a coffee!!

I counted 4 passes, that's 4 more than I usually see when I go to Newport, so all in all not a bad meeting ... I was going for a coffee, but when I saw the 50 person queue I turned round and went back to my seat ... They were selling teas and coffee's in the bar last year, so why not this time? ... The queue in the bar was non existant. What kind of idiot would want to drink cold lager outdoors on a freezing day like this?

Edited by Shadders

Does anyone have a scan of todays racecard as when I arrived they had sold out of programmes, many thanks in adavce

Enjoyed today, it was warm compared to last season, a great move from Smartie in the final to split the top two on the day and then goes on and wins, track rode well I thought, nice to see a big turn out for the Newport promotoion.

Mr Mallett came round with his camera and showed photos of the track a couple of days ago and the work they must have put in to get this meeting on, its a big well done to everybody who sorted the track.

good day, anybody esle pissed off the road was closed to the M50 and then had trouble on the M5 as well, took three hours to get home.It only took an hour and half to get there.

Oh and if you are going to by the DVD the best camera man in Speedway was doing the filming.

Enjoyed today, it was warm compared to last season, a great move from Smartie in the final to split the top two on the day and then goes on and wins, track rode well I thought, nice to see a big turn out for the Newport promotoion.

Mr Mallett came round with his camera and showed photos of the track a couple of days ago and the work they must have put in to get this meeting on, its a big well done to everybody who sorted the track.

good day, anybody esle pissed off the road was closed to the M50 and then had trouble on the M5 as well, took three hours to get home.It only took an hour and half to get there.

Oh and if you are going to by the DVD the best camera man in Speedway was doing the filming.

apparently there were bodies found on the monmouth road & the M5! took me 3 hours to get home too!!

I agree with Wanna on this too. It is not so much for Eastbourne fans, but for all fans as a whole. Given 8 were going to the semis, only 4 were going to miss out. By handicapping himself, fans could essentially work out the semi finalists without qualifying heats. You get the best British youngster in my opinion, a potentially great talent and certainly one I would pay to see, a great coup for Newport, and he does that to you. Fair play to Roynon, 3 zeros, wins 1 heat and into the semis! I would slightly criticise the format for this.

Was thinking the same about the format,if there are only 12 riders surely 2 semi's is not the answer,having said that glad smartie won.

We we're on the coventry mini bus. We took the scenic route to chepstow & monmouth when we seen the road was closed, glad we did as we later heard about the problem on the m'way.

Must admit this meeting was better than it usually is & considering the weather i heard they had yesterday a big well done just to get it going.

1 bugbear,well 2 actually. Why an upright Mr Bridger? Well, that worked well eh!:D

The other is the format, some meeting 3 times & others not at all, surely a little tinkering with that here & there isn't too difficult.

Edited by colincooke

The queue in the bar was non existant. What kind of idiot would want to drink cold lager outdoors on a freezing day like this?

I can think of a few people who would have had a beer or 2 Shads :lol: had they been there :wink::wink:

Edited by zlata prilba

Not a bad meeting at all.Certainly one of the better Classics.

Only two gripes about the day.

The queues for and drink was stupid.One guy came round past us and said he watched 8 races while getting a coffee!

The other being NO PA at all on the first and second turns.We second guessed the Semis and Final.Same for the reserve changes throughout.Lucky I had read up on the full field,as no one around was aware of the reserves!

Great to meet up with so many speedway friends.Had a really fun day with the Plymouth fans on the first turn.It was a little chilly,but hey,who cares?

Brilliant company,good laugh,good beer,and last but not least,a good meeting.Ive seen far worse on balmy summers day.

Heartiest congratulations to all the riders for getting stuck in.It was obvious before the meeting got under way that most were not too happy.Lets be honest here.If this meeting was in mid summer,it wouldnt have even got a wheel on track.All credit the track staff.So for the riders to perform as they did,they all need a heartly handshake for their efforts.

Have to admit Smart isnt a favourite of mine,but a what a cracking ride in the Final.Well done that man.

People are acting surprised by the queue for food. The regulars will know it takes forever at NL meetings with crowds of about 50, never mind meetings like the NYC!

It would be quicker to leave the stadium, go to McDonalds and get a Big Mac.

We we're on the coventry mini bus. We took the scenic route to chepstow & monmouth when we seen the road was closed, glad we did as we later heard about the problem on the m'way.

Must admit this meeting was better than it usually is & considering the weather i heard they had yesterday a big well done just to get it going.

1 bugbear,well 2 actually. Why an upright Mr Bridger? Well, that worked well eh!:D

The other is the format, some meeting 3 times & others not at all, surely a little tinkering with that here & there isn't too difficult.

Road was fine later --by the time I left anyway --but was after 7!!!!

Lewis really wanted to do the meeting and hoped the upright would be ok but as he admitted in our interview it wasn't up to it after all and wasn't revving enough.

As for the format I spent over a week trying different ways to get a better one done and one where all riders meet at least once ---if anyone can achieve this I would be very glad to hear from them. As the printers were closing the week before Christmas we had to go with the format already in use although it is cr*p !!

Also noticed Bob C's comment on the tannoy and I did not know we had a problem that bad. The whole system is being looked at by Mike Manning soon to sort it all out.

I have to admit I had a cracking day out got my first sniff of the year, last me another month or two, haha.

Considering the weather we have had over the past month the track curator and his staff need a medal to have gotten the track racable and for it to hold up like it did was brilliant, well done that man :lol: .

Enjoyed the days racing some pretty niffty moves considering, and who'd have thought Lee Smart would end up the winner eh, well done Lee.

As for the catering I took a flask after queuing for the best part of 40 minutes for a cold burger a couple of years previous.

The M50 closure was caused by a body being discovered and the same on the M5 too, fortunately for us we went into Micheals Wood services so we avoided the hold up and went around the back roads probably put around 30-40 minutes on the trip but better than sitting on the M5.

Did wave to Peter Preece, but don't think he saw me and got a nice big hug off Shadders too. All in all a good day out and not too chilly either!

I also took the scenic route through Chepstow and Tintern back to Ross-on Wye,apparently the body of a "unamed 59 year old man" was found on the roadside,unfortunately the police temporarily closed both carriageways causing some spectators to be delayed coming as well (my friend from Cheltenham detouring through Usk and not arriving until heat 5!)Nice to see Mainman prepared to look at the comments,tannoy in the stands no problem,but my son and i chose not to bother with the food queue,not eating until getting back at 5pm presumably others did the same,so some revenue must have been lost here.Otherwise an excellent day of out of season racing,all credit to everyone concerned

Also noticed Bob C's comment on the tannoy and I did not know we had a problem that bad. The whole system is being looked at by Mike Manning soon to sort it all out.

From regular experience it varies sometimes its ok other times it isn't

Since the air fence has gone in,its become less clear & track grading at the same time as announcements makes it worse, but from moving of the bend past the second bend bar or even going outside the stadium you can hear absolutely fine. so hopefully not too much adjustments are actually needed.

Anyway glad too hear Mike is on to it, will improve the presentation immensely once its sorted :approve:

Just read that there were approximately 2,500 that attended thats great! That means if everyone paid £15 (adults entry fee) the club wouldve made £37.500 and thats without counting the food and drink :)