British Speedway Forum
tanya

New Year Classic - Newport

Well you and I Differ here , If any rider decided to ride a 1929 Rudge Good luck to Him, it was well known lewis was riding an old Machine OK it Didnt pay off , but this is not a GP Its a FUN day out and long may it continue

Then he should of rode it during an interval or before the meeting or something. It didn't pay off? Don't tell me you think Bridger rode that bike with the intention of winning the meeting?

Missed today was still recovering from New Years Eve. Will be over for March though for sure.

I'd agree with Wanna on this, it is taking the piss out of the paying public.

I agree with Wanna on this too. It is not so much for Eastbourne fans, but for all fans as a whole. Given 8 were going to the semis, only 4 were going to miss out. By handicapping himself, fans could essentially work out the semi finalists without qualifying heats. You get the best British youngster in my opinion, a potentially great talent and certainly one I would pay to see, a great coup for Newport, and he does that to you. Fair play to Roynon, 3 zeros, wins 1 heat and into the semis! I would slightly criticise the format for this.

Edited by Authorised

On the plus side there was no injuries :) I thought leigh lanham was great today considering he wasn't on his own bike! Shame he didn't make it to the final, never mind was a great final and a fun day out :)

I'd agree with Wanna on this, it is taking the piss out of the paying public.

Rubbish, it was a novelty meeting to keep the fans happy as it always is.

Was a Jawa 989 btw.

No dust today - thanks for the kind comments.

Light was a little low today - but the meeting was entertaining , Ben Barker & Steve Boxall in particular were very spectacular - but credit to all the riders for coping with some difficult track conditions.

Good crowd - great meeting to feed the speedway hungry fans.

Steve boxall and ben barker never fail to entertain! Yes well done to all riders looked a bit of a bumpy ride today, thought the crowd was good too just shows how many people love speedway :)

Looking foward to your pictures throughout the season! Happy new year

An enjoyable meeting today.

Well done to Lee Smart, I don't think anyone expected him to pop out from between Howe and Doolan and tear off down the back straight.

Barker was very entertaining and if you're an Ipswich fan you should be very excited at the prospect of Doolan lining up for you next season.

Not as cold as last year either!

Steve boxall and ben barker never fail to entertain! Yes well done to all riders looked a bit of a bumpy ride today, thought the crowd was good too just shows how many people love speedway :)

Looking foward to your pictures throughout the season! Happy new year

I made the effort to go and it was well worth it, as you say Barker and Boxall were giving it everything.

I was totally confused by the race format though. Leigh Lanham met Lee Smart 3 times during the qualifiers and there were lots of other instances where riders met each other twice. While Lanham never faced Barker or Doolan during the qualifiers. All very confusing. Its not impossible to put together a 12 man format where they all meet each other once before the semis and I have a prog with the format to prove it. Did the compiler just take a guess.

It was nice to get a speedway fix mid-winter though.

Rubbish, it was a novelty meeting to keep the fans happy as it always is.

Was a Jawa 989 btw.

Bridger tootling around at the back <unacceptable language removed> before withdrawing didn't keep anyone happy.

Maybe they should all turn up on unicycles next year. :rolleyes:

I made the effort to go and it was well worth it, as you say Barker and Boxall were giving it everything.

I was totally confused by the race format though. Leigh Lanham met Lee Smart 3 times during the qualifiers and there were lots of other instances where riders met each other twice. While Lanham never faced Barker or Doolan during the qualifiers. All very confusing. Its not impossible to put together a 12 man format where they all meet each other once before the semis and I have a prog with the format to prove it. Did the compiler just take a guess.

It was nice to get a speedway fix mid-winter though.

You should forward it to MainMan, who I'm sure posted that he had tried to figure out a better format than the one used and couldn't make it work.

I made the effort to go and it was well worth it,........It was nice to get a speedway fix mid-winter.

That's what it's all about - well done to the Newport promotion for giving everyone a reason to live.

I hear it was a decent crowd, with long queues to get a Burger!! At least you've got the beer to keep you warm!

LMAO !!! is that the voice of experience or just a dream ?? :lol:

Lucky

"Oh, you so BIG!!"

Edited by BigFatDave

Another fab NYC, enjoyed the meeting. Track was good,crowd was good. Catering was a disgrace! we watched someone queue up 40 mins for a burger!! Should of been a seperate queue for drinks, no way i was going to stand there 40 minutes for a coffee!!