British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

Catford Speedway 1934

does anyone have any information on how many speedway meetings were staged at catford stadium during their only season in 1934. i went to the track many times during my career working for the dreaded GRA in the 1980's and 90's.

does anyone have any information on how many speedway meetings were staged at catford stadium during their only season in 1934. i went to the track many times during my career working for the dreaded GRA in the 1980's and 90's.

Would be fascinating to find out more as it is one of the real mystery areas in London Speedway history. NO mention by the sainted Norbold in his book..- blimey Norm, I could've given you a lift there to check it out mate!! :wink:

And even the 'bible' itself, Bamford & Jarvis' 'Homes' has preciouslittle info. :shock:

Surely our fav SLP scribe speedyguy MUST know some more.. :neutral:

Catford was my favourite dog track and funny enuf one of the last rites there WAS to have the roar of Speedway bikes back there for the filming of racing scenes for that much panned All Saints movie!! :rolleyes:

I'm amazed that speedway ever took place at Catford,on the poor enclosure side of the track there was a massive drop from the dog circuit to where some of the bookmakers stood,so I would have thought that it would have been highly dangerous to run speedway there even if it was on the norm'inside of the dog track.I wonder if anyone can provide proof that the bikes did run there.I'm assuming that the stadium is still derelict and rotting away by the day.Forgive me if I don't wish the GRA the compliments of the season.

Would be fascinating to find out more as it is one of the real mystery areas in London Speedway history. NO mention by the sainted Norbold in his book..

Au contraire, Parsloes...

Catford is on page 220 of "Speedway in the South East."

This is what I said, "There are reports that speedway was tried out at Catford cricket ground in 1932 and that, on 1 September 1934, a 280-yard track was opened at the nearby Catford Greyhound Stadium. This speedway was promoted by Tom Bradbury-Pratt and several meetings were held, but, at the end of the season, the track closed. Further attempts to open it up were made in 1938 and 1949, but neither attempt was successful. The sound of speedway bikes was, however, heard again at the stadium at the beginning of 2000. A film called Honest, set in 1968 and directed by Dave Stewart of Eurythmics fame, called for a speedway scene. Catford Stadium was chosen as the location because it still looked like a stadium from the 1960s. Amongst the riders taking part were Barry Briggs, Jim McMillan, Nigel Harrhy, Mike Smart and Col Smith. The stunt co-ordinator was former Canterbury rider, Lex Milloy. The filming of speedway at the track started rumours that Catford might return to league racing but so far no more has been heard of this proposition."

Edited by norbold

Au contraire, Parsloes...

Catford is on page 220 of "Speedway in the South East."

This is what I said, "There are reports that speedway was tried out at Catford cricket ground in 1932 and that, on 1 September 1934, a 280-yard track was opened at the nearby Catford Greyhound Stadium. This speedway was promoted by Tom Bradbury-Pratt and several meetings were held, but, at the end of the season, the track closed. Further attempts to open it up were made in 1938 and 1949, but neither attempt was successful. The sound of speedway bikes was, however, heard again at the stadium at the beginning of 2000. A film called Honest, set in 1968 and directed by Dave Steward of Eurythmics fame, called for a speedway scene. Catford Stadium was chosen as the location because it still looked like a stadium from the 1960s. Amongst the riders taking part were Barry Briggs, Jim McMillan, Nigel Harrhy, Mike Smart and Col Smith. The stunt co-ordinator was former Canterbury rider, Lex Milloy. The filming of speedway at the track started rumours that Catford might return to league racing but so far no more has been heard of this proposition."

My mistake!! :oops:

Though you can't get much more London than Catford so I expected this in your excellent book on Speedway in the capital!!

My mistake!! :oops:

Though you can't get much more London than Catford so I expected this in your excellent book on Speedway in the capital!!

Yes, you're quite right of course about which book Catford really fits into.

However, when I wrote the London book, which was my second speedway book after East Anglia, I was still feeling my way a bit and decided to concentrate on league teams. By the time I got to the South East, I thought I should be more comprehensive, so I mopped up everything in and around London that I hadn't already mentioned.

i contacted my fellow collector pal john somerville regarding info on catford. he told me he has never seen a catford speedway programme and details on the history of the track seem to have been lost in the mists of time. :(

This could call for a visit to the Newspaper Library to look up local papers of the time. Any volunteers?

I have not been in the Catford area for some years. From what I understand all trace of the stadium and track have gone. Not sure but the possibility is new housing has been built there!

Does anyone have an update on this site please?

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Catford Speedway.htm

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, gustix said:

I have not been in the Catford area for some years. From what I understand all trace of the stadium and track have gone. Not sure but the possibility is new housing has been built there!

Does anyone have an update on this site please?

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Catford Speedway.htm

Well and truly gone.  They've jammed about maybe 10+ apartment blocks into the space that the old track took up, right up to Ladywell fields.

In 1932 there were apparently rumours that Crystal Palace were relocating to Catford. Fred Mockford denied this and added that construction of speedway at Catford Stadium would not be permitted - Norwood News, 2 Sep 1932