British Speedway Forum
covlad459

Coventry 99 % Certain To Be In Elite Next Season Acording To Sandu

they wont!! Sandhu will win

Oh perlease! :rolleyes:

Well obviously it can be as there have been lawyers involved. My point was how can you possibly know everything that has happened?

Who is claiming that they know everything that has happened. The whole mess is over rule changes imposed by the BSPA which Cov and P'boro couldn't handle. Have you been asleep for the last month?

How can anyone argue that a watered down league where riders are told where they have to ride and clubs are told who will ride for them is in the interests of increasing competition?

How would having the league drop from the pre-existing nine to four or five increase competition?

chicken buckets and fries all round, got plenty of bbq dips as well

Enjoy.

I would think that rules as set by a sporting body simply still need to comply with national and European laws on restriant of trade /contract law and that kind of stuff.

Speedway would most certainly have a case to answer in relation to EU law, or, more particularly, EU Employment Law, since the concept of rider assets is obviously a nonsense. The problem there is that Sandhu and Coventry would be among the biggest losers.

So lets look at it from another angle.

What would Sandhu actually win?

A fresh vote? Pretty sure it would go the same way and the outcome would be the same.

How would having the league drop from the pre-existing nine to four or five increase competition?

Enjoy.

Speedway would most certainly have a case to answer in relation to EU law, or, more particularly, EU Employment Law, since the concept of rider assets is obviously a nonsense. The problem there is that Sandhu and Coventry would be among the biggest losers.

It has been mentioned on here several times that the current "asset" system would be likely to take a pounding if any serious scrutiny was applied to it. personally I would hope it would be , surely it would make sense to simply have fixed term contracts with riders, unfortunately though that idea comes to pieces because it could only realistically be one year terms due to the constant chopping and changing of team building limits. This is one of the reasons why I personally feel there needs to be a root and branch examination of the whole setup, if this winters shenanegens result in that then maybe it will at least have been partly worthwhile!

Seasons Greetings, Martin

Edited by Beeone

Because it takes time to organise. This time last year only a couple of clubs had completed. The 40 points limit won't change. Desisions have already been made based on the 40 points limit.

Poole, for example. let go of Bjarne so they could get a couple of 4 pointrs at reserve. If the points limit rose to, say 42, Poole could have kept Bjarne and still had two 4 pointers at reserve.

Add that to the fact that it was voted in democratically at the AGM and its not going to change because Coventry and Peterborrough say so.

Bullies should not be allowed to prosper, just because they have a large wad in the bank.

Greetings Steve.

I think you are in error by implying that Peterborough 'have a large wad in the bank'. Their stated reasons for withdrawing from competing in the Elite League were purely due to cost. It was further stated that they wished to continue presenting speedway in the town and were hoping to compete in the Premier League or even the National.

Apparently it remains to be seen whether the masters of the sport will allow this.

As for the conduct of Avtar Sandhu at Coventry. The man is a disgrace to the sport, I remember well what a great club the Bees were under the control of Charles Ochiltree. Sadly, those days are long gone and are just a distant memory.

Regards,

Ron.

So lets look at it from another angle.

What would Sandhu actually win?

A fresh vote? Pretty sure it would go the same way and the outcome would be the same.

look at it like this then :neutral: why should clubs get to vote on 1 8pt rider per team when certain clubs don't have any as assets over 8 so thats hardly fair is it ???? the vote is only going to go 1 way

they wont!! Sandhu will win

Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, I can't see how he can win.

If he backs down to the BSPA or loses his court case, he loses.

If the BSPA backs down or it goes to court and he wins, he loses. What sort of working relationship do you think there will be with the rest of the BSPA.

I wish people would stop referring to the BSPA's decisions as being "democratic". There is nothing "democratic" in rule by the majority - it is simply a "majority decision". To be truly democratic, any decision would involve all parties reaching a decision that takes account of the views and concerns of all parties.

Ron, I am afraid that I must disagree. The way that things have been going, it has needed someone to stand up and be counted for some time.

Greetings Steve.

I think you are in error by implying that Peterborough 'have a large wad in the bank'. Their stated reasons for withdrawing from competing in the Elite League were purely due to cost. It was further stated that they wished to continue presenting speedway in the town and were hoping to compete in the Premier League or even the National.

Regards,

Ron.

Peterborough is a city (well, we wouldn't want to stir up the local council into taking legal action, would we?)

Who is claiming that they know everything that has happened. The whole mess is over rule changes imposed by the BSPA which Cov and P'boro couldn't handle. Have you been asleep for the last month?

Be careful with your wording there. That is exactly how this whole thing has gone from a few bare facts to 90 pages of opinion dressed as facts.

The only current fact we know is that there are 3 parties inolved who at present are talking things through in the hope of a solution. So unless you know more than that there is nothing more to say.

look at it like this then :neutral: why should clubs get to vote on 1 8pt rider per team when certain clubs don't have any as assets over 8 so thats hardly fair is it ???? the vote is only going to go 1 way

There are onl 3 EL clubs without an asset over 8, 4 if you count Ipswich, so they do not have a majority.

Anyway the BSPA is a democratic organisation so why shouldn't they have a vote on an isssue that makes the sport more competitive.

Hardly an argument likely to make much impression in a court of law which is likely to rule that "rider assets" insofar as they are understood by the BSPA have no standing in EU Law. In the eyes of the law no club would have any rider assets.

I wish people would stop referring to the BSPA's decisions as being "democratic". There is nothing "democratic" in rule by the majority - it is simply a "majority decision". To be truly democratic, any decision would involve all parties reaching a decision that takes account of the views and concerns of all parties.

Ron, I am afraid that I must disagree. The way that things have been going, it has needed someone to stand up and be counted for some time.

Majority decision / democratic decision - however it is dressed up this is the way that the decisions are made. I don't understand how being pedantic helps much.

Either way the BSPA are looking at the best interests of the sport. Or am I inviting the conspiracy theory back into the argument?

It is democratic. It is one club, one vote. You can't get anymore democratic than the current system. The last thing we need is a dictator telling the other clubs that they must run under the rules of a single person or club. If a team wants it that way, start a new club and get others to join. Then they can play King of the Castle.