British Speedway Forum
covlad459

Coventry 99 % Certain To Be In Elite Next Season Acording To Sandu

Or the best Speedway promoter in the UK? (a fact)

Depends on your criteria. What grounds are you using?

Yes you keep sprouting rubbish like your promotion. :lol:

And for your information Matt Ford has never been a hairdresser. Probably a little beyond your comprehension though.

And while you take the P out of hairdressers, I would like to remind you it's a skilled job with an apprenticeship. What do you do? Post letters through boxes? I call that a glorified paperboy.

:lol:

Hee hee i got me another tiddler, not worth putting in the frying pan so back in the murky waters of Poole Harbour it goes.:D

Personally I'd say that the Coventry promotion are the best, just look at all the attention they've bought Ceventry in the past few weeks! :wink:

Can't blame Rosco in any of this. he is the manager not the promoter so would have looked a bit daft if he had stayed after the promoter walked out.

I'm not attatching blame to anyone but you are wrong again Steve. Look at the directory on the Bees website, please do try to get your facts right if and when real facts are available!

Club owner Avtar Sandhu

Co-Promoters, Colin Pratt, Alun Rossiter and Allen Trump.

Regards, Martin

Considering what I pay for my daughters education I am sure that missing three days of school will not cause any problems.

Damn! Gave you another opportunity to tell us a bit more about your lavish lifestyle. :D

Actually I was also counting the time when you all wizzed off to Rome following the play-off final, but if you say she's only missed 3 days of school then I believe you because I know you are a truthful person on here.

Damn! Gave you another opportunity to tell us a bit more about your lavish lifestyle. :D

Actually I was also counting the time when you all wizzed off to Rome following the play-off final, but if you say she's only missed 3 days of school then I believe you because I know you are a truthful person on here.

Lavish lifestyle? We are flying with the plebs at the back of the plane this time. The recession has hit my businesses as much as anyone else and I am not throwing money around.

We are back on the 9th January and she will be at school the following day. Her school goes back on the 5th so she will miss three days. The school are happy for parents to take their children out of school term for up to 14 days before written consent must be requested. I would not consider her missing a few days here or there detrimental to her education, of which we view with paramount importance.

Now, back to stirring up Cooke. :lol:

Depends on your criteria. What grounds are you using?

Your opinion FACT

The most successful promoter in the last ten years. The only club to make a healthy PROFIT last season and makes a profit each season. Generates sponsorship to such a degree there was nothing left to sponsor last year.

That is impressive. He's done very well, despite his shortcomings (failure to invest in British talent, getting caught cheating to such an extent that rules were changed, sour grapes at last season's Play-Off Final). Poole are a good example of how to promote a speedway club.

However, as long as I've been following speedway, Poole have always had healthy crowds, and a catchment area with very little competition for top level sport. Plus, Ford's deep pockets have allowed the club to speculate to accumulate.

I'd actually look at the promoters at Workington, Buxton, and Rye House as the best examples in the sport, taking on board all factors. Interesting debate, though!

The most successful promoter in the last ten years. The only club to make a healthy PROFIT last season and makes a profit each season. Generates sponsorship to such a degree there was nothing left to sponsor last year.

Cause there is nothing better to do.

No footie,no cricket.

What else is there in Dorset ?.

That is impressive. He's done very well, despite his shortcomings (failure to invest in British talent, getting caught cheating to such an extent that rules were changed, sour grapes at last season's Play-Off Final). Poole are a good example of how to promote a speedway club.

However, as long as I've been following speedway, Poole have always had healthy crowds, and a catchment area with very little competition for top level sport. Plus, Ford's deep pockets have allowed the club to speculate to accumulate.

I'd actually look at the promoters at Workington, Buxton, and Rye House as the best examples in the sport, taking on board all factors. Interesting debate, though!

Matt Ford does not have deep pockets. he couldn't afford to buy Poole Speedway from Mervyn Stewkesbury so asked Mike Golding to go in with him. All the money matt has made out of the sport is due to the time and effort he puts in. he lives in the town so that helps no end, but to say the lack of other sports arond helps is unfair. Speedway has to battle with AFC Bournemouth, and still has to attract sponsors with coverage of the sport at probably an all time low. The fact that Poole are known as the biggest club in the sport and on Sky Sports on a regular basis helps but it still takes plenty of lunch dates and the ability to sell the sport to a company who perhaps know very little about it. The fact that Poole always have a main team sponsor and other companies queing up to take over the main sponsorship if Castle Cover pull out shows he does it right. I should also mention Giles Hartwell here who does a lot of work behind the scenes.

Matt treats the Pirates as a business, not a hobby, and that's why it works so well.

You mention Workington, well they are up against a rigby team, are they not? Buxton survive on crowds of 200+ so are not comparable business wise. Rye House again don't have a football team to compete against and lots of pople live in the area as well I should imagine.

There would be a lot of fans from other clubs who would love to have Matt take over their club and run it the same way as Poole is run. Things are not perfect, don't get me wrong. No season ticket, no online shop, the overall presentation could be improved upon, but rarely do we leave the stadium disappointed after a night of racing. After visiting every other track numerous times, most of the time it's a completely different experience at Wimborne Road.

Just my opinion of course.

2009...bottom of the table...off to the PL.... :P

Cause there is nothing better to do.

No footie,no cricket.

What else is there in Dorset ?.

Dorset is about the most perfect place to live in the UK. We are very, very lucky to live here.

There is football if you call it that at Bournemouth, and Southampton is only 30 mins away. Hampshire play cricket, again 30 mins away.

Dorset has a spectacular coastline, the second largest natural habour in the world, a warm micro cimate, shops, cafe's, bars, millionaire footballers and pop stars and a very cool social scene (of which I am now too old to enjoy as I did)

And no motorways bringing the throngs from the north. Add in beautiful country lanes, it's just perfect. Oh and it has two speedway clubs. What more would anyone really want?

Sorry its gone so far off topic.

You mention Workington, well they are up against a rigby team, are they not? Buxton survive on crowds of 200+ so are not comparable business wise. Rye House again don't have a football team to compete against and lots of pople live in the area as well I should imagine.

Perhaps I should have said why I consider them to be great examples of promoters :)

Workington are making a very strong go of it in a serious rugby area. They are overcoming problems with stadium landlords, unearthing British talent, and have a well-used training track. On the track they produce competitive sides without seeming (one can never know, of course) to resort to chequebook speedway, and - the Steve Boxall incident aside - you rarely hear a bad word about the promotion.

Buxton are a totally different business model to Poole, that's true. But to do what they do, and come back, year after year, shows that they are getting things right. It can't be easy to promote a sport in deepest Derbyshire - Buxton Town and Leek Town are struggling year after year - but they seem to make it pay, and produce young British talent year after year, the likes of whom have gone on to make a difference for clubs as diverse as Kings Lynn, Workington, Swindon, Birmingham, and Belle Vue.

Rye House don't have a local football team to compete with - though the area is chock-full of Arsenal & Tottenham fans - and they are a well-established club, unlike the other two on the list. The Len Silver era has been a massive success, with title-winning sides assembled from riders brought through the Cobras ranks, and other top, young British talent. Rye House have probably done more for the current state of British talent (make of that what you will!) than any other club in the UK. Their success with youth has been rewarded with the staging of FIM events, something only a handful of tracks in the UK can boast over the last few years. And, once more, they keep bringing in the crowds for a non-Elite League product without reporting huge losses. This has to be down to the nous of the promoter, working miracles in a tough business.