British Speedway Forum
covlad459

Coventry 99 % Certain To Be In Elite Next Season Acording To Sandu

. If you are charging Elite League money, you should provide Elite League riders.

Ooooh ...groan.... here we go again with the same old chestnut.

You must be the only person on the entire forum that is not aware of Stuart Douglas' comments in Speedway Star a couple of months ago when he said that Lakeside's wage bill was 125% of the gate money (its been mentioned enough on here).

Now, if Lakeside has a better attendance than a fair number of other EL clubs, and less expensive riders than most, it follows that a fair number of clubs have a wage bill of much more than 125% of the gate, so despite your assertion that clubs are charging Elite League prices for less than Elite League riders, the admission prices charged is not sufficient to attract world class stars, at least not many of them.

So what's your suggestion ? Increase admission to genuine Elite League levels ? Or somehow convince Jason Crump that he should ride over here for lower points money than he gets elsewhere ? Or perhaps everyone could go out and magic up a few more sponsors from thin air in these recessionary times to off-set the shortfall ?

One one thing that won't achieve anything is people bleating over and over again the same old platitude that the riders we have are not Elite league standard. Its already been done to death already on half a dozen other threads.

I should have put "last season" instead of last year, you make a good point but if it was Trump and Pratt who were the perceived problem then the sig would surely not have changed during last season (and it did) as those two gentlemen were still on the roster of promoters come the recent AGM. Indeed Colin Pratt was on hand I am told at the recent "show of support" at Brandon along with Sandhu. Still the possibility of Trump being the issue CC was referring to in his sig, but it changed way too early for that, as we all know he was still there.

Regards, Martin

P.S. I'm sure Colin Cooke will put us right :wink::D

I'm pretty sure Colin was referring to certain riders in the Coventry team and the fact that everyone seemed to hate each other. :D Team spirit was non existent, matches were continually being lost and the fans were staying away as the discontent spread to the terraces. Then Rory left - but please don't think I'm insinuating Rory was the main problem in the team - and things picked up again. The rest is history. :approve:

Ooooh ...groan.... here we go again already with the same old platitude that the riders we have are not Elite league standard, already. Its already been done to death already on half a dozen other threads, already.

I always thought a platitude was the opposite of a plongditude, already already?

PS I think you'll find its not the only thing a_b's not aware of, already.

With regard to charging EL money realistically we don't pay enough for the standard we have now.You could say that the true admission price for the EL should be a price which would result in clubs at least breaking even. Sponsorship and TV money could then be the icing on the cake to improve facilities and invest in training British riders. If we were to get back the Crump's, Pedersen's etc. the true EL cost would be even higher.

Ooooh ...groan.... here we go again with the same old chestnut.

You must be the only person on the entire forum that is not aware of Stuart Douglas' comments in Speedway Star a couple of months ago when he said that Lakeside's wage bill was 125% of the gate money (its been mentioned enough on here).

Off topic but in response - I went to the Rob Woffinden Memorial near Perth a few weeks ago (by happy coincidence I'd long-since had a holiday in the area planned). There was a full evening of racing on show. Quite apart from the full individual meeting featuring the like of the Woffinden, the Lindgrens, Proctor, Stead, Kling, Haines, Johno and some local lads there were juniors and pee wees racing a full programme and side car speedway too. A total of 68 races for $25 - near as makes no difference the same as the cost of an EL meeting. It makes one wonder what the break down of costs in producing just 15 heats over here must be.

Off topic but in response - I went to the Rob Woffinden Memorial near Perth a few weeks ago (by happy coincidence I'd long-since had a holiday in the area planned). There was a full evening of racing on show. Quite apart from the full individual meeting featuring the like of the Woffinden, the Lindgrens, Proctor, Stead, Kling, Haines, Johno and some local lads there were juniors and pee wees racing a full programme and side car speedway too. A total of 68 races for $25 - near as makes no difference the same as the cost of an EL meeting. It makes one wonder what the break down of costs in producing just 15 heats over here must be.

Pretty well what we've come to expect out here - certainly a minimum of forty races anyhow, and with junior tracks in the middle of the more enlightened stadiums like Gillman we've got racing going on while the Seniors' track is being graded. Hardly gives you a chance to get a beer between races - while yer on yer way past the bar, MAAAAAAAAAAAATE!!

It doesn't weaken the competitive nature of the league but it certainly weakens the league. I'm sure the Zamaretto Central is competitive, but it's not as strong as the Premier League. If you are charging Elite League money, you should provide Elite League riders.

Nonsense.

Define by what you mean as an Elite League rider?

Tell me a TOP league in the world where all these so called 'Elite League' riders ride?

Now if you say speedway in general is too expensive for the average fan/family I would certainly agree.

Im pretty sure if you put admission money down more people would go. There's 7 people just down my street that would go if it was cheaper. 4 of those are a family (2 adults 2 children) and Im sure if the kids went regular their friends would soon know what Speedway was - weather they went or not is another question but Atleast they'd know!

Nonsense.

Define by what you mean as an Elite League rider?

Tell me a TOP league in the world where all these so called 'Elite League' riders ride?

Now if you say speedway in general is too expensive for the average fan/family I would certainly agree.

Really? We're going down this road? Okay...

Grand Prix Riders, League Racing 2011

ELITSERIEN - 14

Tomasz Gollob (Hammarby)

Jarosław Hampel (Vetlanda)

Jason Crump (Vetlanda)

Rune Holta (Dackarna)

Greg Hancock (Piraterna)

Chris Harris (Vastervik)

Kenneth Bjerre (Lejonen)

Chris Holder (Lejonen)

Artem Laguta (Valsarna)

Antonio Lindbäck (Indianerna)

Fredrik Lindgren (Dackarna)

Andreas Jonsson (Dackarna)

Emil Sayfutdinov (Piraterna)

Janusz Kołodziej (Vetlanda)

EKSTRALIGA - 14

Tomasz Gollob (Gorzów)

Jarosław Hampel (Leszno)

Jason Crump (Rzeszów)

Rune Holta (Torun)

Greg Hancock (Zielona Gora)

Chris Harris (Rzeszów)

Kenneth Bjerre (Wrocław)

Chris Holder (Torun)

Artem Laguta (Częstochowa)

Fredrik Lindgren (Tarnów)

Andreas Jonsson (Zielona Gora)

Nicki Pedersen (Gorzów)

Emil Sayfutdinov (Bydgoszcz)

Janusz Kołodziej (Leszno)

DANSKE SPEEDWAY LIGA - 6

Jason Crump (Slangerup)

Rune Holta (Vojens)

Kenneth Bjerre (Fjelsted)

Antonio Lindbäck (Outrup)

Andreas Jonsson (Esbjerg)

Nicki Pedersen (Holsted)

ELITE LEAGUE - 4

Chris Harris (unattached)

Kenneth Bjerre (Kings Lynn)

Chris Holder (Poole)

Fredrik Lindgren (Wolverhampton)

You can't compare an individual meeting or two in Aus to the league programme week night meetings over here can you? Were the riders involved being paid what they are paid here?

Perhaps if the EL riders here didn't expect to use all new equipment every season their costs and demands might be lower .......

Im pretty sure if you put admission money down more people would go

The promoters could take the risk but that is the problem, it would be a risk ..... and even if they gained a few at a lower price, if they then needed to put prices up because the lower pricing wasn't working they would possibly lose many of those newbies?

Edited by Trees

You can't compare an individual meeting or two in Aus to the league programme week night meetings over here can you? Were the riders involved being paid what they are paid here?

Perhaps if the EL riders here didn't expect to use all new equipment every season their costs and demands might be lower .......

The promoters could take the risk but that is the problem, it would be a risk ..... and even if they gained a few at a lower price, if they then needed to put prices up because the lower pricing wasn't working they would possibly lose many of those newbies?

Perhaps the small crowds are because the vast majority of people don't find it particularly entertaining

Edited by Starboy118

Bydgoszcz are not Ekstraliga. They were relegated to Liga I.

Edited by ladyluck

ELITSERIEN - 14

Tomasz Gollob (Hammarby)

Jarosław Hampel (Vetlanda)

Jason Crump (Vetlanda)

Rune Holta (Dackarna)

Greg Hancock (Piraterna)

Chris Harris (Vastervik)

Kenneth Bjerre (Lejonen)

Chris Holder (Lejonen)

Artem Laguta (Valsarna)

Antonio Lindbäck (Indianerna)

Fredrik Lindgren (Dackarna)

Andreas Jonsson (Dackarna)

Emil Sayfutdinov (Piraterna)

Janusz Kołodziej (Vetlanda)

EKSTRALIGA - 14

Tomasz Gollob (Gorzów)

Jarosław Hampel (Leszno)

Jason Crump (Rzeszów)

Rune Holta (Torun)

Greg Hancock (Zielona Gora)

Chris Harris (Rzeszów)

Kenneth Bjerre (Wrocław)

Chris Holder (Torun)

Artem Laguta (Częstochowa)

Fredrik Lindgren (Tarnów)

Andreas Jonsson (Zielona Gora)

Nicki Pedersen (Gorzów)

Emil Sayfutdinov (Bydgoszcz)

Janusz Kołodziej (Leszno)

DANSKE SPEEDWAY LIGA - 6

Jason Crump (Slangerup)

Rune Holta (Vojens)

Kenneth Bjerre (Fjelsted)

Antonio Lindbäck (Outrup)

Andreas Jonsson (Esbjerg)

Nicki Pedersen (Holsted)

That is not what you stated. You said an Elite League rider...not a GP rider. No league in the world is going to have best 100 riders in it anyway because there will always be a rider who will be a heat leader in his home country and chooses not to ride abroad but is better then a reserve abroad.

Anyway to quickly prove a financial point. How many of these clubs have there own stadiums and do not share with a greyhound/stock car businesses and don't have to pay ludicrous extortionate rent rates plus probably charging cheaper admission due to the economy of their country so can afford to pay GP riders.

Just because a league has more GP riders, doesn't make it better speedway.

No, it was from this year - it started out with a problem at Brandon that only Rosco and Sandhu could sort and mutated into them having sorted it. However, the point remains the same: the problem had to be Trump and Pratt otherwise they'd be involved in "sorting it".

What makes you say Colin isn't working towards a solution.

I spoke with him at a recent NSSC quiz and I felt he was very much involved. He just goes about things a little quieter than others.

Thats very kind of you Bryn but I dont need any introduction to Buster I have met him several times , time will show whether KL are an expendable pawn or not , ........back in the premier league in 2012 is my guess :wink:

So you would consider comparing someone to Steve Shovlar is a smear ? what does that say about shovlar .

Not had that pleasure so far Bryn. Is she anything like Mrs Faria ?

You should'nt talk about yourself like that Steve .

Well I say you did and it's my view or no view. you should know that Steve just told you

do you mean John Harrhy ?

one of these posts attracted a 3 day suspension for attacking the poster and a further 25% warn . which one I have no idea ?, but this is now what the mods think is fair . While other posters carry on posting much worse , well this latest action from the thought police is the straw that broke the camels back for me and I'm off to join the many others who have deserted the forums recently ,

Edited by Phil
It was for posting "Oh wow you got yourself a friend and ally .keep kissing arse and Lupus might agree with some more of your crap"

What makes you say Colin isn't working towards a solution.

I spoke with him at a recent NSSC quiz and I felt he was very much involved. He just goes about things a little quieter than others.

Perhaps it would be wiser to avail yourself of the complete chain of posts before diving in and answering? I realise from earlier posts that you find it tedious and boring to trouble yourself with posts comprising more than a couple of sentences, but unless you do so you can't hope to engage in sensible discussion.

Edited by ladyluck