British Speedway Forum
covlad459

Coventry 99 % Certain To Be In Elite Next Season Acording To Sandu

That is not what you stated. You said an Elite League rider...not a GP rider.

Now we're just playing at semantics. The fact remains that the strength-in-depth of the Elite League pales against Poland or Sweden. It's certainly not an Elite League and to promote is as such is just silly. It may be the top league in the UK, but it's time for a re-branding. Like having a "Premier" League which is number 2 in the pecking order (look up the definition of premier), and a "National" League which has no tracks further north than Scunthorpe!

one of these posts attracted a 3 day suspension for attacking the poster and a further 25% warn . which one I have no idea ?, but this is now what the mods think is fair . While other posters carry on posting much worse , well this latest action from the thought police is the straw that broke the camels back for me and I'm off to join the many others who have deserted the forums recently ,

I'd imagine it was the where you comapred a certain poster to a cervical procedure. He's hot on the Report button these days - blame him, not the mods - they have to act within the rules of the forum.

Now we're just playing at semantics. The fact remains that the strength-in-depth of the Elite League pales against Poland or Sweden. It's certainly not an Elite League and to promote is as such is just silly. It may be the top league in the UK, but it's time for a re-branding. Like having a "Premier" League which is number 2 in the pecking order (look up the definition of premier), and a "National" League which has no tracks further north than Scunthorpe!

Semantics? How do you explain when wildcards have won GP's then? It's suppose to be the top 16 best but there is always a few riders who aren't in it but are good enough to be counted for. Martin Dugard was always an excellent rider in Britain but because he wasn't in the GP's or World Finals constantly, it didn't mean he wasn't good enough to be there and he was better then Andy Smith who somehow always made GP's and World Finals.

Your conversation about rebranding is pointless and time and time again I have to laugh at this post. In legal terms, it's fine to use because it is the best league on averages in British Speedway so they can claim it as Elite. It also doesn't sound appealing to Sky Sports or businesses for sponsorship if you called it 'The slightly diluted League 1 of speedway'....I mean who on earth would sponsor that.

Definitions don't matter......for the best interests of speedway, sponsorship and money matters and it is the best and that goes for the PL as well.

one of these posts attracted a 3 day suspension for attacking the poster and a further 25% warn . which one I have no idea ?, but this is now what the mods think is fair . While other posters carry on posting much worse , well this latest action from the thought police is the straw that broke the camels back for me and I'm off to join the many others who have deserted the forums recently ,

Many Thanks MODS. :approve:

Semantics? How do you explain when wildcards have won GP's then? It's suppose to be the top 16 best but there is always a few riders who aren't in it but are good enough to be counted for. Martin Dugard was always an excellent rider in Britain but because he wasn't in the GP's or World Finals constantly, it didn't mean he wasn't good enough to be there and he was better then Andy Smith who somehow always made GP's and World Finals.

Oh, of course, and don't get me wrong - I'm no fan of the GPs, but it's a good barometer of who most of the top riders in the sport today are. For various reasons, these riders aren't competing over here, and unlike Sweden and Denmark, we aren't filling our team places with our own riders, preferring instead to go for the Premyszlaw Pawlickis and Dennis Anderssons of the world. The axis of power has shifted towards Poland (and to a lesser extent Sweden) and we seem to have just accepted it. Yes, we can pretend that the Elite League is strong and competitive, but it has no USP - it's just a watered-down Poland at the moment.

Your conversation about rebranding is pointless and time and time again I have to laugh at this post. In legal terms, it's fine to use because it is the best league on averages in British Speedway so they can claim it as Elite. It also doesn't sound appealing to Sky Sports or businesses for sponsorship if you called it 'The slightly diluted League 1 of speedway'....I mean who on earth would sponsor that.

I'm glad I gave you a laugh but I think it's a valid point. I'm not talking in legal terms - you can pretty much call yourself what you want - but to new fans it's all very confusing: an EliteLeague which is missing the stars that Sky tells them are the best in the world, a Premier League which isn't, and a National League which covers less than half the country. You couldn't make it up! You and I may understand the reasons for this, but if speedway were left to rely on the money you and I bring to it, it would be in a sorry place. Far better to re-brand the leagues British League Premier, British League 1 and British League 2. Give the paying public something they can understand and they may just come and watch.

Please remove this link and the unauthorised footage - also reported to mods.

Edited by BTL

... and unlike Sweden and Denmark, we aren't filling our team places with our own riders ...

I don't think you quite appreciate the extent to which Sweden is following the British example. You seem to suggest that Sweden is filling their team places with their own riders, but have a little look at the squads for next season:

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/2010/12/10/sklady-druzyn-elitserien/

The Swedes are probably more reliant on the Poles than we are over here.

I don't think you quite appreciate the extent to which Sweden is following the British example. You seem to suggest that Sweden is filling their team places with their own riders, but have a little look at the squads for next season:

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/2010/12/10/sklady-druzyn-elitserien/

The Swedes are probably more reliant on the Poles than we are over here.

Then damn them! :)

Considering what I pay for my daughters education I am sure that missing three days of school will not cause any problems.

Hope it has been spent wisely as there seems to have been little foundation to build on

Nothing to do with you digging a hole at the start of all this and then desperately trying to get out of it ever since then?

Hope it has been spent wisely as there seems to have been little foundation to build on

Er im a little lost with this comment. Steve says he pays for his Daughters education, so please explain your post??

Er im a little lost with this comment. Steve says he pays for his Daughters education, so please explain your post??

not sure starman but i interpret the comment as hope the money gives the daughter a good education because she wont inherit intelligence thriugh steves genes.

not my opinion just how i interpret the post

Oh, of course, and don't get me wrong - I'm no fan of the GPs, but it's a good barometer of who most of the top riders in the sport today are. For various reasons, these riders aren't competing over here, and unlike Sweden and Denmark, we aren't filling our team places with our own riders, preferring instead to go for the Premyszlaw Pawlickis and Dennis Anderssons of the world. The axis of power has shifted towards Poland (and to a lesser extent Sweden) and we seem to have just accepted it. Yes, we can pretend that the Elite League is strong and competitive, but it has no USP - it's just a watered-down Poland at the moment.

I'm glad I gave you a laugh but I think it's a valid point. I'm not talking in legal terms - you can pretty much call yourself what you want - but to new fans it's all very confusing: an EliteLeague which is missing the stars that Sky tells them are the best in the world, a Premier League which isn't, and a National League which covers less than half the country. You couldn't make it up! You and I may understand the reasons for this, but if speedway were left to rely on the money you and I bring to it, it would be in a sorry place. Far better to re-brand the leagues British League Premier, British League 1 and British League 2. Give the paying public something they can understand and they may just come and watch.

You cannot compare the Polish and British leagues financially because they are very different. The attendance figures which can be up to probably 8 times as big as are attendances make the 2 leagues uncomparable so you can't really think of them as top leagues. It's more realistic to think on crowd attendances as for example Glasgow Celtic FC have many more supporters then St Mirren, so obviously are going to afford a better team etc. Better to compare British speedway to British Basketball......both struggling at grass roots level financially and not the most popular sport in Britain and struggling to pay stadium rent and for minor quality professionals with some top pros using their bleak attendance money.

New fans....what new fans. :( TBH if there are any new fans they are more likely to be confused by the ridiculous amount of rules and BSPA rule changes that happen each year and the rule I hate, a rider being excluded for tape touching isn't excluded but a reserve can be brought in, hence anyone new who had seen a red card in a footy match to be replaced by a sub is far more baffling then naming a top league Elite, a second league Premier and a third league National which is quite easy to follow compared to most of the @@@@ that goes on in speedway. Do you really believe more are going to watch over a name change......how many fans did the FA Barclaycard Premier League lost because it changed it from Div 1......probably about none.

This thread is about Coventry and Peterboro possibly returning to the EL. If you want to keep resurrecting this futile old argument about the quality of the EL there is already a current thread on that topic where you can air your views to your hearts content, but if you read the appropriate thread you will see there is not much sympathy for the view you have expressed. Nevertheless the other thread is where you should be postulating all this bunkem if you want to persist with it.

This thread is about Coventry and Peterboro possibly returning to the EL. If you want to keep resurrecting this futile old argument about the quality of the EL there is already a current thread on that topic where you can air your views to your hearts content, but if you read the appropriate thread you will see there is not much sympathy for the view you have expressed. Nevertheless the other thread is where you should be postulating all this bunkem if you want to persist with it.

Who died and made you a Moderator? I apologise for discussing things on a discussion forum - yes, it's gone off-topic a little but I still think that all the things discussed here have merit. Maybe things are too quiet down Essex way, but don't be a hater, old man...