British Speedway Forum
covlad459

Coventry 99 % Certain To Be In Elite Next Season Acording To Sandu

Our nearest track is infact Swindon and not Lakeside.

Poole...Poole? Some can see no further than Poole. :P

I think we are talking about Kings Lynn aren't we, not blinking Poole? :D

Elite may not have all the top riders but there is no doubt it is better quality racing than PL

No doubt? I'd treat that staement with plenty of doubt.

Our nearest track is infact Swindon and not Lakeside.

I think houdi was referring to Lynn ;)

So how many Poole fans do you estimate will be making the mid-week near 450 mile/9 hour round trip then. :rolleyes: Their nearest Elite league track is Lakeside,which is still a 200 mile round trip.The only teams who would have taken a significant following are Ipswich (their fiercest rivals)who have dropped to the Premier League,P'boro who are about 30 miles away,but not in the Elite League,presently anyway, ;) and Coventry again who presently are not in the Elite League.

So unless they increase their home following it is hard to see where their increased attendances will come from.I'm not sure teams only tracking 1 rider over an 8 point average,will entice many new fans to the Norfolk Arena anyway.

I will be going,as i have always enjoyed my trips to KL and i am sure i will not be alone.Hopefully Peterborough and Coventry will also be in the EL.

I don't think they will be too upset by losing the derby with Ipswich as they didn't seem too happy about the way their assets were approached and now Ipswich haven't any derbies either,the nearest PL club being Rye House.

I am sure home attendances will increase substantially,there will be some who remember,Crump,Rickardsson,Adams,Loram etc and maybe will get hooked by the better quality racing on offer,although not to the standards set by those mentioned.

No doubt? I'd treat that staement with plenty of doubt.

I think houdi was referring to Lynn ;)

Well i actually went to the play off final at KL when you were against Sheffield,a few years ago and the racing was appalling,i trust that wasn't the usual fare on offer but the world cup proved what great speedway can be had at KL.

Well i actually went to the play off final at KL when you were against Sheffield,a few years ago and the racing was appalling,i trust that wasn't the usual fare on offer but the world cup proved what great speedway can be had at KL.

Its dangerous to make an assumption based on just two meetings, but if you are specifically talking about King's Lynn then I'd agree that PL action has generally been inferior since we dropped down in 2003 compared to the EL stuff before that.

However PL racing in general can be very good as a visit to Somerset, Scunthorpe, Sheffield or Stoke last season for example would prove. I've seen plenty of speedway from all three leagues over the years from every track operating except Belle Vue, Plymouth & Weymouth and I can honestly say there's not a lot to choose between them all, you get excellent meetings and dire ones at all three levels.

Edited by Bagpuss

Its dangerous to make an assumption based on just two meetings, but if you are specifically talking about King's Lynn then I'd agree that PL action has generally been inferior since we dropped down in 2003 compared to the EL stuff before that.

However PL racing in general can be very good as a visit to Somerset, Scunthorpe, Sheffield or Stoke last season for example would prove. I've seen plenty of speedway from all three leagues over the years from every track operating except Belle Vue, Plymouth & Weymouth and I can honestly say there's not a lot to choose between them all, you get excellent meetings and dire ones at all three levels.

I just came back to this thread staight after leaving it, in the belief that I had previously been accidentally looking at the KL thread ;)

Not a joke, I really did

Regards, Martin

Edited by Beeone

I just came back to this thread staight after leaving it, in the belief that I had previously been accidentally looking at the KL thread ;)

Not a joke, I really did

Regards, Martin

Careful or Dad will tell you off!

I would agree that most leagues are competitive and exciting,as was proved to me by several trips to the oak tree arena,which although smaller than KL does produce some terrific racing.

Will Lynn fans accept a struggle, having got used to winning, I hope the fans accept the Elite no silverware status. I bet they got some decent crowds for Cup Finals and Title Successes over the last few years.

I think we'll all probably just look forward to and hope for some fast and furious racing back in the EL, so I hope all the riders get their cut backs and scraping the boards heads on because there will be plenty of opportunity to use their skills at Lynn :)

Careful or Dad will tell you off!

You know my Dad?!?! :unsure:

Regards, Martin

You know my Dad?!?! :unsure:

Regards, Martin

No, but he was clipped around the ear earlier for inventing his own topic on this thread. Obviously he hasn't got over being chastised yet. :D

Edited by Tsunami

No, but he was clipped around the ear earlier for inventing his own topic on this thread. Obviously he hasn't got over being chastised yet. :D

Ahh, I see :D

Regards, Martin

Dude, I so didn't "invent my own topic" - it grew out of other discussions, you know, like things do on a "discussion" board. Is the BSF so different from every other freaking message board on the internet? It must be if you get all antsy about straying off-topic (but still, you know, about elite league speedway...)! I notice nobody piled in on bazaar3 or the others who were discussing it with me! Obviously there's something you old timers don't like about me :)

Remind me why they dropped down a league originally.

Remind me why they have always insisted they would not move up to the EL and the reasons (at a time when the EL was in a better state)

There is no sound business reason whatsoever for Kings Lynn to have moved up at this time... that we know of.

It is a funny one with Kings Lynn. Obviously it would appear Birmingham have the crowds and sponsorship to give the top league a go because they are a city and speedway is popular in the midlands with a lot of defunct clubs ex supporters who may or have already jumped on the bandwagon.

The reasons how I see Kings Lynn can afford to give it another go:

1) In the past they were a side that were not always competitive in the top league and I can't remember them winning too much hence the drop in crowds who obviously want to see their team to well week in week out and don't want to pay top league money to watch their team lose mose weeks.

2) Since they have entered the PL (or second league whatever) they have pritty much dominated it most seasons and the crowds have come back to watch the side and so obviously it has attracted more sponsors in the area because they have been a more successful side. Especially when there is a EL/PL League Final or Cup, it nearly always is a large increase in crowds compared to a standard league fixture.

3) They have wisely attained assets such as Darcy Ward and a few others and sold them onto EL clubs to have made enough capital to support a venture.

4) Perhaps as you say, they are still reluctant about entering the league as they don't want to be the bottom side again and lose crowds and drop down etc like before. Obviously much more cautious which is why they haven't joined earlier.

Just my opinion.