British Speedway Forum
covlad459

Coventry 99 % Certain To Be In Elite Next Season Acording To Sandu

Russell used the precise terms 'wanted' when talking about 45 points and 'vote went for' when mentioning 40. To me, that indicates two separate procedures. Could have been hours or even days apart. We know two teams left at some stage.

You are as entitled to your interpretation of the articles every bit as much as everyone else. People can read them and make up their own minds.

I stand by my statement that read together the two articles provide, at least, circumstantial evidence from which the inference can be drawn that Peterborough voted on at least one issue. As I said, whether it is compelling evidence is another matter but at the moment it is the only real evidence we have.

You think so, then join the PL then mate. The product is diluted enough as it is. But then again, its not going to concern you!!! :D

Do you ever contribute anything other than a cheap shot?

Regards Martin

Sandhu is the owner, it is his business, as are the burger bars and everything else in the stadium. He owns the rights to Coventry Speedway and owns the stadium.

Trump, Pratt and Rosco are employed as promoters.

Which introduces the question as to whether Sandhu's employees have acted in the best interests of Sandhu and the Coventry Bees? Even Colin Cooke in his signature seems to question the actions of at least Trump and Pratt. What is it his signature says? Something along the lines of a problem at Brandon that Rosco and Sandhu have sorted, from memory. Perhaps it hasn't fully been "sorted".

Which introduces the question as to whether Sandhu's employees have acted in the best interests of Sandhu and the Coventry Bees? Even Colin Cooke in his signature seems to question the actions of at least Trump and Pratt. What is it his signature says? Something along the lines of a problem at Brandon that Rosco and Sandhu have sorted, from memory. Perhaps it hasn't fully been "sorted".

That's an old sig from last year, the "sorting" was changing the team line-up I believe, I'm sure Colin will correct me if I'm wrong

Regards, Martin

Seems clear to me that the remedy is the right to compete in the EL next year.

That might be the objective but I am not sure that the courts have the power to enforce that as a legal remedy. I would guess the only actual remedy in law would be compensation. Anyway there is no way they will get a trial date before the start of the season ( and quite possibly not before the end of the season either), especially as it appears that no formal court proceedings have even been issued yet so we seem to be in this limbo of negotiation.

Despite all Sandhu's huffing and puffing, if he had an absolutely watertight case they would have got on with it by now, and issued formal court proceedings, instead of this informal stand-off.

That might be the objective but I am not sure that the courts have the power to enforce that as a legal remedy. I would guess the only actual remedy in law would be compensation. Anyway there is no way they will get a trial date before the start of the season ( and quite possibly not before the end of the season either), especially as it appears that no formal court proceedings have even been issued yet so we seem to be in this limbo of negotiation.

Despite all Sandhu's huffing and puffing, if he had an absolutely watertight case they would have got on with it by now, and issued formal court proceedings, instead of this informal stand-off.

Or possibly the BSPA realise he does have a case of some sort and between the parties they have decided that some form of negotiation/mediation would actually be better for the long term. Just a possibility, but if you thought that you would lose in court would you not try to negotiate a settlement, I think I would.

Regards Martin

Sandhu is the owner, it is his business, as are the burger bars and everything else in the stadium. He owns the rights to Coventry Speedway and owns the stadium.

Trump, Pratt and Rosco are employed as promoters.

It's no different to the way Tony Mole has done things in the past, club owner but employs a promoter.

At the risk a of splitting hairs, are they employed as promoters or are they independant promoters who are contracted to Sandhu ? In other words do they have a contract of employment so that they are Sandu's employees on his payroll, or are they self-employed men who have a contract to run the speedway. Legally there is likely to be a big difference. The fact that Trump can attend the BSPA and Sandhu can't suggests that Trump is not an employee, but an independant contractor which potentially makes a big difference to Sandhu's legal entitlement to sue.

Or possibly the BSPA realise he does have a case of some sort and between the parties they have decided that some form of negotiation/mediation would actually be better for the long term. Just a possibility, but if you thought that you would lose in court would you not try to negotiate a settlement, I think I would.

Regards Martin

I think their are lots of issues here that go beyond the legal case and one of them is getting a league programme together in 2011. many of these things would encourage negotiation irrespective of whether they are directly relevant to the actual legal position. I am just curious as to Sandhu's actual legal status in relation to the BSPA if, as has been said, he is just the stadium owner , not the promoter. i suspect he is just footing the bill while Trump, Pratt and Roscoe are the actual claimants.

At the risk a of splitting hairs, are they employed as promoters or are they independant promoters who are contracted to Sandhu ? In other words do they have a contract of employment so that they are Sandu's employees on his payroll, or are they self-employed men who have a contract to run the speedway. Legally there is likely to be a big difference. The fact that Trump can attend the BSPA and Sandhu can't suggests that Trump is not an employee, but an independant contractor which potentially makes a big difference to Sandhu's legal entitlement to sue.

Why are we worrying about this? I dont see how this is relevant.

I think their are lots of issues here that go beyond the legal case and one of them is getting a league programme together in 2011. many of these things would encourage negotiation irrespective of whether they are directly relevant to the actual legal position. I am just curious as to Sandhu's actual legal status in relation to the BSPA if, as has been said, he is just the stadium owner , not the promoter. i suspect he is just footing the bill while Trump, Pratt and Roscoe are the actual claimants.

Ok so re-read my post substituting "Coventry do" for "he does" and you will get the simpler point I was making.

Regards, Martin

Tell that to the likes of Jason Lyons.

I appreciate that you are probably just being flippant and as a fantastic servant to BV I have tremendous sympathy for Jason but in my opinion there are a number of issues here.

Firstly, sufficient riders willing to ride here do not exist to make up 8 EL teams to a 45 limit, if you take the present number, 9 teams if you take the original number with B'ham replacing Ipswich or 10 if you add Cov and P'borough to the present 8.

Secondly, even if the riders did exist probably a minimum of between 2 and 4 of those teams could not afford to pay them and the EL would no longer be tenable. Any business that consistently pays out more than it gets in will eventually fail because even those with a wealthy benefactor cannot rely on that support always being there.

Thirdly, the most realistic option the sport has at the moment is to bring the EL and PL closer together so that more teams will be prepared to move up and create an EL consisting of a more viable number of teams.

Over time and if the recession ends and the increased variety of teams increases crowd levels then a gradual move back to having a higher limit and attracting back some of the top riders can be afforded.

You think so, then join the PL then mate. The product is diluted enough as it is. But then again, its not going to concern you!!! :D

Ah, "I'm alright jack". My team Coventry could build a team to 45, in fact, they're one of the teams wanting 45, I don't agree with it (bit of a shock that concept to some Poole fans, a fan who doesnt agree with his clubs promotion!). In fact, Coventry coud probably build to 50. However, it's no good Coventry building to 50 is half the teams can only build to 30!

As to the earlier suggestions that 38 weakenes the league, balls, if it means more teams but the same rider spread out more, it's stronger. People harp back to the 1970s when teams all had a 9+ rider and things were beter with more teams, the way to do that is one or two seasons with a low points limit but with 3 or 4 new teams added each season. We'll then have more teams, more number 1's, more riders and everyone gets their wish but oh no, some people will moan that the points limit has been lowered that season to make it work!

Yeah, let BV have him at number 1! There are a shortage of heatleader standard riders because you can't magic them from nowhere. Where as at PL level, you can magic a few by suddently allowing EL riders to double up. The EL can't do that as there is no league above.

I would assume as they're running Sandhus business that he is employing them but I'll admit to not knowing. As Sandhu is involved in the running of the club, I can only assume the team is his and he employs them though.

The only time this has not been the case was in 2008 when Trump leased the club from Sandhu.

So despite your comments that you want Coventry in the league you obviously will be quite happy if they aren't. A happy smilie at the thought of a Coventry fan not being able to support his team. rolleyes.gif

That's an old sig from last year, the "sorting" was changing the team line-up I believe, I'm sure Colin will correct me if I'm wrong

Regards, Martin

No, it was from this year - it started out with a problem at Brandon that only Rosco and Sandhu could sort and mutated into them having sorted it. However, the point remains the same: the problem had to be Trump and Pratt otherwise they'd be involved in "sorting it".

That seems to be the only example you are able to come up with. While it is unfortunate for Lyons, it has happened before and will, no doubt, happen again. The careers of Paul Thorp and Les Collins seemed to end when there was no room for them. Anyway, come the first set of GSAs someone will have manipulated their averages enough to accommodate Lyons, or an unfortunate injury will open avenues for him.

People harp back to the 1970s when teams all had a 9+ rider and things were beter with more teams, the way to do that is one or two seasons with a low points limit but with 3 or 4 new teams added each season. We'll then have more teams, more number 1's, more riders and everyone gets their wish but oh no, some people will moan that the points limit has been lowered that season to make it work!

Of course in the '70s bonus points were included in averages. Moreover, the Poles and their leagues were locked behind the "Iron Curtain", while the Swedish league was a domestic affair. The only "cosmopolitan" league was the "British League" and all the top riders were to be found. The top riders only really faced each other once per meeting and thus inflated their averages at the expense of lower order riders.

I would assume as they're running Sandhus business that he is employing them but I'll admit to not knowing. As Sandhu is involved in the running of the club, I can only assume the team is his and he employs them though.

The only time this has not been the case was in 2008 when Trump leased the club from Sandhu.

That would be my guess, although perhaps Trump has some equity holding in the club. He is, I gather, a wealthy enough fellow so it would be strange if he were to occupy a position as just a paid employee.