British Speedway Forum

This on the BSPA site:

STOKE have been allocated two meetings next season which will showcase the sport's talented British youngsters.

The Loomer Road venue will stage one of the British Under-21 semi-finals, and they will also be the host circuit for the British Junior Championship Final

Slightly confusing terminology... :blink: : by 'Junior' Championship do they indeed mean the Under 21 final..? :unsure:

This on the BSPA site:

STOKE have been allocated two meetings next season which will showcase the sport's talented British youngsters.

The Loomer Road venue will stage one of the British Under-21 semi-finals, and they will also be the host circuit for the British Junior Championship Final

Slightly confusing terminology... :blink: : by 'Junior' Championship do they indeed mean the Under 21 final..? :unsure:

Possibly ,but equally could be the under 18 s or the under 15,s.It certainly is not clear what is ment by the statement..But then we are talking about those who are supposed to be running the sport in this country..so ??? :D:D

Possibly ,but equally could be the under 18 s or the under 15,s.It certainly is not clear what is ment by the statement..But then we are talking about those who are supposed to be running the sport in this country..so ??? :D:D

It won't be the first confusing thing to come from the BSPA but I do have hopes that 2011 will be a turning point in the way the BSPA run the sport, so if they could tell us exactly what the British Junior Championship Final is, it would be a start.

I have heard that u15s is now u16s as there aren t enough for series that are under 15 so maybe its the final round of u16s at stoke

I have heard that u15s is now u16s as there aren t enough for series that are under 15 so maybe its the final round of u16s at stoke

Could be the answer Neil and reflects what I am seeing around the training sessions, and the amateur scene.

We realised that with the demise of the British Academy League and the semi-professionalism of the National League the 15-year old Riders struggled to get sufficient opportunities to race, especially those on the fringes of a NL team place. Accordingly we propose changing from an Under-15 Championship to an Under-16 one and rename it as the British Speedway Youth Championship.

Phil Morris & Neil Vatcher

We realised that with the demise of the British Academy League and the semi-professionalism of the National League the 15-year old Riders struggled to get sufficient opportunities to race, especially those on the fringes of a NL team place. Accordingly we propose changing from an Under-15 Championship to an Under-16 one and rename it as the British Speedway Youth Championship.

Phil Morris & Neil Vatcher

Excellent idea! :approve:

I suggested a couple of years back that Under 16s would be a better concept than Under 15s as this would fit in better with riders making the transition from junior to NL (previously CL) racing, so glad to see it happening now.

Will this be a series with a winner on aggregate terms (as the U-15s has been) or will it culminate in a one-off Final..? :unsure:

The press release about Stoke staging a 'Final' suggests the latter.. :neutral:

final of U21 at lakeside april 15th, 2 days before world U21 qualifier at herxheim :unsure:

Edited by brewer

I think U16s seems more sensible than U15s; a more commonly used cut-off for junior/senior I'd have thought.

Is there an accessible list of eligible riders in the U21 and U16s categories. It would be very interesting to see. Is there still an U18s category now then?

Under-21 semi final draw is now on the Stoke website: http://www.stokepotters.co and the speedway gb site: http://www.speedwaygb.co

The worrying decline of youth speedway continues.

We used to have 3 qualifiers, then we reduced it to 2 semi finals, now we are down to one "semi final" and the final.

There are a number of clubs trying to help to young British riders, but unless there is a National setup as well the decline will continue.

We must invest in the youth NOW.

The worrying decline of youth speedway continues.

We used to have 3 qualifiers, then we reduced it to 2 semi finals, now we are down to one "semi final" and the final.

There are a number of clubs trying to help to young British riders, but unless there is a National setup as well the decline will continue.

We must invest in the youth NOW.

I totally agree Nikko but when Team GB members have to buy their own team kevlars it beggars belief.You cannot expect a sporting body who do not fund their own national team to fund young British riders.

I have to wonder why two of the 'seeded' rider's have, to my knowledge, never ridden at PL level? This is very worrying for British speedway. When William Lawson won the British U18's a few years ago, he had already ridden 2 and a half years in the PL. If things don't change soon, we could be in a situation where 9/10 of the 'seeded' rider's have never ridden outside of the National league.