British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
f-s-p

Finnish News

After another year of a double figure increase in percentage in interest I guess I have to do this again...

Four teams in the Finnish SM-liiga this coming season after Kauhajoki decided they would not enter the league this year. They had problems gathering a competiteve team. So it's four and that's what we'll work with. Lineups are announced after January 15th. There was some controversial governing of the leagues last season and we'll have to see if it gets any better this year. I'm the new federation supremo behind league speedway so it's a bit 50-60 if anything will change. :lol:

And after iris123 made my sauna an international news item, it's really not progressing all that well. It could be finished by the ice racing final but then again it was supposed to be finished for christmas. ;)

The obituary of Kalevi Lahtinen is here, use google translate yourself. It may not have been the best, as the man was THE sports superstar of his city back in the day.

Cheers FSP I will be looking at the updates through the year once more. Hope Finland do well in the SWC Qualifying, also I hope it is them that will ride at the British round so I get to cheer them on again :)

The obituary of Kalevi Lahtinen is here, use google translate yourself. It may not have been the best, as the man was THE sports superstar of his city back in the day.

KALEVI LAHTINEN A great rider in his day. Here he is, http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2595303790103948496OjBVRC

with the Golden Key of Bremen which he won in May 1966.

Also in the pic, Lt-to-rt, Mrs. Gunnar Malmqvist, Kahlevi Lahtinen(F,1st), Gunnar Malmqvist (SW,2nd), Conny Samuelsson (SW,7th), Matti Olin (F,8th). Also rode that year, Tim Bungay(UK, 3rd)

fsp - What were the other years of KL's Golden Key wins ?

fsp - What were the other years of KL's Golden Key wins ?

I found a clipping that says he won his 3rd consecutive key in -66. The key's were the centerpiece of his wall of honour at his home.

And after iris123 made my sauna an international news item, it's really not progressing all that well. It could be finished by the ice racing final but then again it was supposed to be finished for christmas. ;)

Which Christmas was that then? :P

And what are statistics?...anyway your numbers went up only after i stopped doing the rival German news :D:D

Good onya.This is always one of the best threads on here.....

Suomi Joonas Kylmaekorpi has signed contract with Lokomotiv Daugavpils from Latvia. Team ride in First Polish league

Suomi Joonas Kylmaekorpi has signed contract with Lokomotiv Daugavpils from Latvia. Team ride in First Polish league

Hope it turns out better than it did for Kauko Nieminen, who did not get to ride at all last season.

Hope it turns out better than it did for Kauko Nieminen, who did not get to ride at all last season.

After Laguta brothers leaving from Loko to get into team the easier

With Kauko turned bad. could give him ride to the end of the season. But the purpose was not get in Ekstra

Lineups for the SM-liiga have been announced. It will be an interesting season. These lineups have names I'm certain wont be riding a full season, but have been added in order to foresee dictated team changes according to averages mid season. Looking forward to it. Also there are talks of liveupdates and two minute counters/clocks, but we'll see about them when the pricetag turns the final numbers, who's still ready.

SM-liiga lineups 2011:

Kotkat (SeMK): 1) Juha Hautamäki, 2) Markku Autio, 3) Rene Lehtinen, 4) Mika Loppi, 5) Kauko Nieminen ja joukkueenjohtaja Petteri Koivunen.

Paholaiset (PMK): 1) Joni Keskinen, 2) Jiri Nieminen, 3) Marko Suojanen, 4) Jere Lehtonen, 5) Jouni Viljanen ja joukkueenjohtaja Panu Karvonen.

Keittiöpiste (KMMK): 1) Timo Lahti, 2) Tero Aarnio, 3) David Hillborg SE, 4) Marko Hyyryläinen, 5) Teemu Lahti ja joukkueenjohtaja Jorma Mäkikunnas.

Sand Blowers (HyMK): 1) Jari Mäkinen, 2) Niko Siltaniemi, 3) Pasi Pulliainen, 4) Aarni Heikkilä, 5) Kalle Katajisto ja joukkueenjohtaja Jari ”Vikke” Virtanen.

Any news on this year's Finnish fixtures?

The league fixtures will be confirmed this saturday and finals are as follows: Individual saturday September 3rd - Haapajärvi and U21 July 30th - Kauhajoki. Kaupunki cup will be announced a bit later. Pairs is gone now, wont be arranged again because of the number of clubs taking part was too small and all the stuff that happened last season.

Edited by f-s-p

And what are statistics?...anyway your numbers went up only after i stopped doing the rival German news :D:D

Good onya.This is always one of the best threads on here.....

Why not suggest a merger to f-s-p and have combined Finnish and German news on this thread? A quick change of the title and away we go.

Why not suggest a merger to f-s-p and have combined Finnish and German news on this thread? A quick change of the title and away we go.

Egon Muller just said in an interview that Germany doesn't even have any up'n coming riders at the moment apart from Smolinski (who's not so up'n coming anymore at around 25)... We do, and will be beating the Germans with our left hands in the near future on speedway tracks. Actually we already are!

So as an answer to your proposal, NO WAY! B):lol:

Egon Muller just said in an interview that Germany doesn't even have any up'n coming riders at the moment apart from Smolinski (who's not so up'n coming anymore at around 25)...

I like Egon Muller. Great rider. But Wolbert's already a better rider than Smolinski.

I like Egon Muller. Great rider. But Wolbert's already a better rider than Smolinski.

Thought about that, U21 finalist last year and all but Katajisto might be better in his last U21 year (2012) and I'm willing to (almost) put money on it that Timo Lahti will be (2013).