British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dukes

Halifax 1928-1929

When was the first meeting held in Halifax. We know about the 1929 season, but are their any records to show when the first meeting was actually held and did they have another name apart from the Dukes at that time?

Are you sure that they were using the nickname of 'Dukes' then ? I thought that nicknames weren't introduced until the early 30's - after Halifax's closure.

The Speedway Researcher at one time had a national list of publications (newspapers etc) that had at one time or another carried Speedway reports in, do you want me to try and find further details on were the Researcher's list is for you ?

Edited by frenchy

When was the first meeting held in Halifax. We know about the 1929 season, but are their any records to show when the first meeting was actually held?

I believe the first meeting held at Halifax was on 2 may 1928 at Thrum Hall Cricket Ground. It was the first meeting in this country to be held under artificial light.

Thank you for the date Norbold, it made easy for checking the Halifax Daily Courier and Guardian for report of the meeting.

Racing at Thrum Hall was the first cinder track motorcycle racing venture of the Halifax and District Motorcycle and Light Car Club.

About 5,000 attended the meeting, held under Arc Lamps. (First floodlit meeting).

After the lack of passing on the first meeting the track was widened by 2 yards at either end to the delight of spectators who witnessed

thrilling Australian riders on their visit to the track on 23 August 1928.

The Aussies named as `Stewie` St. George, Keith McKie, Skid Skinner and Geof Taylor heaped praise on the organisers and quoted as saying,

the best track in England and similar to those down under.

Skid Skinner broke the track record 3 times in the evening and won the team race for White City Tigers against G.L.Reynard of Yorkshire Wolves

in 1 minute 37s

Several further meetings June 13 & 30. Aug 23 & 30. Sept 6, 20 & 27. also took place

Glad to be of help, dukes. You've done a good bit of research there. Interesting stuff.

Though I think the newspaper is wrong in saying that Stewie St George was an Aussie. I believe he was actually a New Zealander.

When was the first meeting held in Halifax. We know about the 1929 season, but are their any records to show when the first meeting was actually held and did they have another name apart from the Dukes at that time?

This link re Halifax 1928 may be of use to you:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway/message/2815

On 2/3/2011 at 8:02 PM, norbold said:

Glad to be of help, dukes. You've done a good bit of research there. Interesting stuff.

Though I think the newspaper is wrong in saying that Stewie St George was an Aussie. I believe he was actually a New Zealander.

Just came across a newspaper report complaining that Steve St.George from Australia failed to turn up for his match race against Ginger Lees in one of the first meetings at the Hamburg Dirt-Track in 1929

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Just came across a newspaper report complaining that Steve St.George from Australia failed to turn up for his match race against Ginger Lees in one of the first meetings at the Hamburg Dirt-Track in 1929

Stewie St George is no.34 n the J A Pattreiouex set of 50 Dirt Track Riders. The info on the back starts off, "Born in  Auckland, N.Z...."

• Like 1

I wasn’t doubting,just adding how false info was making its way around the newspapers of Europe