British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hooper

The Use Of The New Silencer

so typical bspa have brought in these silencers despite protests from the top riders in the world ignoring the people who know best i.e the riders and we all have to roll over and do as were told by anonmyous non mechanically minded people whos only interest is ways of screwing money out of people.i pity the youngsters the silencers wont be their only expense while theyre struggling to find ways of keeping their engines from melting.

well said billy i agree with you totally on this i was the one to start this thread and am happy that others agree with my sentiments. hopefully more can get involve and maybe they might change their minds on this matter at least for the youth !!!!

Not proof but I did bother to contact the manufacturers and check they had carried out testing and their results. I have also heard all the same things about silencers every time they reduced the noise limits in other motorcycle sports and in nearly every case the reality has been nothing like the scare stories. Do you have proof that they will cause any damage to people riding below the top level?

Why have these silencers not been a problem on the longtracks?

Do you have any evidence other than what a couple of top riders have written? Do you believe that youngsters use an engine anything like as hard as the likes of Gollob? Do you think your engines are tuned to that level to start with or that they need to stay at exactly that level for every race?

How do I know every breakdown will be blamed on them, that was more of a light hearted comment but there will be more than a grain of truth in there.

Haven't ridden for a lot of years, have had a son riding and worked on a fair few engines over the past few years though.

Not proof but I did bother to contact the manufacturers and check they had carried out testing and their results. I have also heard all the same things about silencers every time they reduced the noise limits in other motorcycle sports and in nearly every case the reality has been nothing like the scare stories. Do you have proof that they will cause any damage to people riding below the top level?

Do you have any evidence other than what a couple of top riders have written? Do you believe that youngsters use an engine anything like as hard as the likes of Gollob? Do you think your engines are tuned to that level to start with or that they need to stay at exactly that level for every race?

How do I know every breakdown will be blamed on them, that was more of a light hearted comment but there will be more than a grain of truth in there.

Haven't ridden for a lot of years, have had a son riding and worked on a fair few engines over the past few years though.

well if themanufacturers are so confident and you say you have contacted them how about they each and everyone of them publish their test results on here or s.star. we have to shell out £200 each plus for them so its only right they discount whats been happening so far with overheating engines etc.thousands of riders have signed a petition in poland and sweden so how can they all be wrong?from what ive seen even riders at a lower level have engines in a high state of tune and not far off speeds of top riders. anyway the bits for the engine all cost the same difference is lower league riders have to pay for theres.also what can you do to an engine with what is in effect a bung up the exhaust you can only alter the ignition from 25 to 35 and as for carb alterations what is there? more fuel down the bore which is only going to wash off any lubrication there is on the cylinder walls. so come on lets have the all important test results and how to beat the heat. really the bspa or the fim should do this as they are the plonkers who are forcing them onto us.

Like yourself the vast majority of people who signed petitions and are complaining about the silencers will not have used them and are judging them by hearsay.

I haven't had any experience of them either but I have had a good amount of experience when noise levels have been lowered in other motorsports. Generally the arguments are always the same as they are for Speedway at the moment and then almost without fail the fears seem to be unfounded.

Doubtless there will be a difference in performance and usually the problems are caused by people trying to get exactly the same results that they did with the less restrictive silencers. You may well have to accept a few hundred revs dropping off the top end and if you try and get them back by leaning the motor off you may have problems. Until people start using the silencers in anger solutions won't be found. Plenty of people have used them and reported no problems. How do you explain the Long track riders engines not blowing to pieces all the time?

I still bet that any problems will be minimal. I have a YZ450 motocross bike in my garage waiting for me to do the engine, that is restricted to 98 or 96 Db (can't remember which) a lot less than the new Speedway silencer and the engine has 130 hours on it before what will be it's first rebuild. I know it's watercooled and a lot different but only two or three years ago we were being told that the new MX silencers would destroy engines left, right and centre.

Finally, for the record I don't believe that lowering noise levels will make any difference at all to the nimby's.

Like yourself the vast majority of people who signed petitions and are complaining about the silencers will not have used them and are judging them by hearsay.

I haven't had any experience of them either but I have had a good amount of experience when noise levels have been lowered in other motorsports. Generally the arguments are always the same as they are for Speedway at the moment and then almost without fail the fears seem to be unfounded.

Doubtless there will be a difference in performance and usually the problems are caused by people trying to get exactly the same results that they did with the less restrictive silencers. You may well have to accept a few hundred revs dropping off the top end and if you try and get them back by leaning the motor off you may have problems. Until people start using the silencers in anger solutions won't be found. Plenty of people have used them and reported no problems. How do you explain the Long track riders engines not blowing to pieces all the time?

I still bet that any problems will be minimal. I have a YZ450 motocross bike in my garage waiting for me to do the engine, that is restricted to 98 or 96 Db (can't remember which) a lot less than the new Speedway silencer and the engine has 130 hours on it before what will be it's first rebuild. I know it's watercooled and a lot different but only two or three years ago we were being told that the new MX silencers would destroy engines left, right and centre.

Finally, for the record I don't believe that lowering noise levels will make any difference at all to the nimby's.

well we both agree on something.it wont stop the whinging nimbys.i still think the fim or bspa and the manufacturers should publish test results if there are any that is. its not fair to hoist these onto riders and expect them to iron out problems.typical speedway everything has to be top secret.

well we both agree on something.it wont stop the whinging nimbys.i still think the fim or bspa and the manufacturers should publish test results if there are any that is. its not fair to hoist these onto riders and expect them to iron out problems.typical speedway everything has to be top secret.

All the information you need is here

www.prodrive.com/up/Prodrive%20115_SWEDISH_PRODUCT.pdf

well just had a text today saying that there is a debate as to whether or not the new silencers are to be compulsory for this year what a joke it should be called the scb clowns show coming to town soon

and they will cause you complete havoc in your life

well just had a text today saying that there is a debate as to whether or not the new silencers are to be compulsory for this year what a joke it should be called the scb clowns show coming to town soon

and they will cause you complete havoc in your life

same here, two weeks after being told they were defo in.

engines away for service on the strength of that , what a p1ss take....only speedway

I wouldn t be worrying about them yet as u16 won t start til late april and by then you ll know at moment there in all league but been told there are already talking about them not been in, as vince say u16 won t find much difference just the fact you ll have to buy new as no old ones yet. The main diff is heat and when your in deep dirt they make it very hard to handle. But I will say we used one on a 250cc on 400mtr track and at full throttle for 4 laps there wasn t much difference just the sound.

At the moment its all 3 leagues and u16

is this definate?atm heard nothing from bspa to confirm for sure either in writing or via the internet and nothing from n.vatcher who sent us a txt to say " hold on because theres a debate going on about these silencers"

That why in my earlier post i said meetings are on going but at the moment they are in all leagues as told to me by cvs and a machine examiner but riders not had there say yet. SO AGAIN HOLD FIRE BUYING THEM

Sorry Vince but your wrong. So many riders have had problems with the new silencers abroad. not just with engines but also with tracks...

At a meeting in Teterow, Germany last year in practice everyone used the new exhausts and when riders like Ben Barker and sebastian Ulamek cant slide the bike because the track had a little bit of material on it then there is a problem. For the meeting the old exhausts were used the same the next day in Gustrow. Then look at what they riders said about the European club championships in Miskolc Hungary last year... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_European_Speedway_Club_Champions%27_Cup all the riders said it was so dangerous because of the new silencers. Engines are running hotter, so hot the they must be cooled between heats and the top riders were changing the engine oil every 2 heats...

On the longtrack engines arent getting so hot because the straights are longer so the engine gets more air which cools it down...

this is what team pedersen says... http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=de&ie=UTF-8&langpair=auto|en&u=http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/2011/02/08/john-jorgensen-z-nowymi-tlumikami-bedzie-znacznie-wiecej-jaz/&tbb=1&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhgpgqSi496JeSvanwXiiB6hSC6bFQ

Edited by speedwaystar84

That why in my earlier post i said meetings are on going but at the moment they are in all leagues as told to me by cvs and a machine examiner but riders not had there say yet. SO AGAIN HOLD FIRE BUYING THEM

is it definate that national league are exempt? yes or no