British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ljh

Caxton Speedway Track ?,

This might be a long shot I realise, but recently I have been researching my family tree / ancesters who originated from the small village of Bourn near Caxton in Cambridgeshire and while looking at village information / internet sites came upon a statement stating that : Speedway racing was staged at Caxton in 1930 although no information can be recalled about it at all, My intention is to go down to Bourn in early March in order to further my family knowledge and would like to ask around about the ' speedway ' whilst I'm there, Has anyone any information on Caxton Speedway please ?. Rod Haynes.

This might be a long shot I realise, but recently I have been researching my family tree / ancesters who originated from the small village of Bourn near Caxton in Cambridgeshire and while looking at village information / internet sites came upon a statement stating that : Speedway racing was staged at Caxton in 1930 although no information can be recalled about it at all, My intention is to go down to Bourn in early March in order to further my family knowledge and would like to ask around about the ' speedway ' whilst I'm there, Has anyone any information on Caxton Speedway please ?. Rod Haynes.

'Homes of British Speedway' says the following;-

Amateur dirt-track events were run on Sunday afternoons in 1931 and 1932, under the promotion of Newmarket Motorcycle Club. The 1932 season is known to have begun by 10th April and run through until, at least 25th September. A meeting on 22nd Maythat year saw Caxton defeat Staines 32-21 over a nine heat formula.

'Homes of British Speedway' says the following;-

Amateur dirt-track events were run on Sunday afternoons in 1931 and 1932, under the promotion of Newmarket Motorcycle Club. The 1932 season is known to have begun by 10th April and run through until, at least 25th September. A meeting on 22nd Maythat year saw Caxton defeat Staines 32-21 over a nine heat formula.

Many thanks KevH, It would now be even more interesting to see if anyone has any idea as to who was involved regarding promotion / riders etc. as well as the actual site of the dirt track arena. Rod Haynes.

Many thanks KevH, It would now be even more interesting to see if anyone has any idea as to who was involved regarding promotion / riders etc. as well as the actual site of the dirt track arena. Rod Haynes.

You're welcome Rod.....I hope your visit in March proves fruitful !!

You're welcome Rod.....I hope your visit in March proves fruitful !!

Hello and thanks again KevH, I understand that the Newmarket motorcycle club are still in existance and shall be in contact with them to see if anything is known. Rod Haynes.

5 hours ago, gustix said:

There is no mention of Caxton on 'Defunct Speedway Tracks' website which is rather surprising.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/C.htm

Perhaps they didn't have any info available at the time?

Steve

Edited by chunky

4 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve

Appears in the publication "Homes of British Speedway". Caxton, Nr Cambridge, operated on an open licence in 1931 under the promotion of Newmarket Motorcycle Club.

Heck, I've just trawled back and it's already been mentioned and the source!!!

Edited by steve roberts

10 hours ago, gustix said:

There is no mention of Caxton on 'Defunct Speedway Tracks' website which is rather surprising.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/C.htm

The absence of a comment re Caxton on 'Defunct Speedway Tracks' coincides with a similar lack of debate on a series of tracks that operated in the Norwich area at this time.

4 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve

A very strong possibility.

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Appears in the publication "Homes of British Speedway". Caxton, Nr Cambridge, operated on an open licence in 1931 under the promotion of Newmarket Motorcycle Club.

Heck, I've just trawled back and it's already been mentioned and the source!!!

It would be interesting to know the names of some of the riders who competed at Caxton. 

30 minutes ago, gustix said:

It would be interesting to know the names of some of the riders who competed at Caxton. 

Clem Stafford, Dusty Rhodes, C Vincent, Buster Cray, Puff Morley, Johnnie Bull, Hughie Bentley, Fred Burley, H Norman and A McGaw appeared in the opening meeting on Easter Monday, 6th April 1931, watched by a crowd of around 5,000.  The crowd for the meeting on 12th April was about 2,000, with Ernie Greenwood, Arthur Reynolds, Ernie Barnes and Johnnie Modlin among the riders competing. 

Edited by BL65

33 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

An interesting update steve roberts and one that rekindles my surprise the venue escapes a mention on John Skinner's 'Defunct Speedway Tracks' website.

Later in 1931 further competitors at Caxton included Pat Clark, Len Burger, Pat Linn, Wal Smith, Tommy Hallybone, Jack Smith, Jack Millward, Broadside Walker, Wal Barker, Tom Craig, Bill Bailey, Buster Brown, Wal Hughes, Lionel London, Smiler Puncher, Alf Lloyd, Wal Evans, Phil Pike, Claude Ellis, Harvey Swanson, Harry Davidson, Jack Riddle, Reg Wilkis, Bert Colway, Nutty Knighton, Jack Moloney, Buster Rowney, Jack Williams and Jim Childs.

Riders appearing at Caxton in 1932 included Charlie Vincent, Hughie Bentley, Puff Morley, Jimmy Worboys, Ernie Greenwood, Arthur Reynolds, Bill Gladstone, Sammy Dean, Jim Childs and Les Budden.

The dirt track was on the Cambridge to St Neots Road near Caxton Gibbet, with the admission charge in 1932 being 1s 2d, with an extra 6d for entry to the grandstand.

Edited by BL65
  • Like 2

On August 24, 1932, Caxton were  scheduled to race against Australia. I wonder if this match ever took place and if it did what the teams were and the result was?

Edited by Guest