Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ljh

Caxton Speedway Track ?,

3 hours ago, gustix said:

On August 24, 1932, Caxton were  scheduled to race against Australia. I wonder if this match ever took place and if it did what the teams were and the result was?

Caxton meetings were generally staged on Sunday afternoons and as 24th August 1932 was a Wednesday it is perhaps unlikely that a meeting was held on that date.  However, a nine-heat match took place on Sunday, 24th April 1932 between Caxton and a team labelled 'Australians', with the result 24-24, missing points resulting from two bad crashes.  The Caxton line-up was Jimmy Warboys, Len Burger, Sammy Dean, Charlie Vincent, Wal Barker and Jack Smith.  The 'Australians' team comprised Wal Kilmister, Spencer Stratton, Dicky Bird, Boyd Pratt, Bill Newman and Eric Spencer.   Scratch and handicap races took place, also featuring Alf Foulds, Nutty Knighton, Geo. Rowney, Puff Morley, Geo. Yeomans, N Walker and Ted Hallybone.

I think gustix looked at cyclones link and got the date wrong !!!

5 hours ago, gustix said:

On August 24, 1932, Caxton were  scheduled to race against Australia. I wonder if this match ever took place and if it did what the teams were and the result was?

A date error on my part! I have seen a programme scan previously on this thread for a meeting on Sunday, April 10, 1932. This advertises the meeting against an Australian team for Sunday, APRIL 24, 1932. Carelessness on my part and I wrongly keyed in August instead of April. 

Edited by Guest

On 9/30/2019 at 11:24 AM, gustix said:

Hi John, look on Speedway Researcher results dates riders etc, open licence 1931-1932.