British Speedway Forum
Steve Ribbons

Mildenhall Statement.

Statement from the proposed promoters of Mildenhall speedway.

Speaking on behalf of his co-promoter Steven Ribbons issued the following statement. –

It is with regret that I announce that Mildenhall speedway will not be competing in the 2011 National development league.

Despite that the proposed promotion have applied in writing to the British Speedway Promoters Association for membership and asked for an invitation to the NL AGM held at Rugby on the 25th of January 2011 we have as yet received no such invitation in writing despite my consent telephone calls to the National League co-ordinator Mr Peter Morrish.

I did however, receive a telephone call from Mr Morrish late on Thursday 20th telling me that no written invitation would be forthcoming. In that telephone call he told me that the Management committee had discussed Mildenhall’s entry into the League under my promotion and had decided on a number of conditions.

I can at this time say exactly what those conditions are and that they included (in my opinion) an exorbitant amount of money and they (the BSPA) demanded payment for things which, I feel are not reasonable demands or that they have asked any other club for the same payments.

The terms were –

A £5,000 payment for ‘League membership’

A £5,000 payment for the ‘promotional rights’

A bond of £3,500.

No promoter’s licence would be issued for me for one year although my business partner (who has no promotional experience) can have a licence straight away.

I have no objection to the bond and I fully expected to pay this item anyway. However, I object to the ‘membership’ fee as no other club has been asked to pay such an item, also the promotional right are only an issue if transferring an existing operating speedway from one promoter to another. Clearly, this is not the case as the previous promotion at Mildenhall has closed and it is no NOT an operating speedway.

With regard to the non-issuing of a promoters licence I can only say that this is a clear indication of these conditions being a personal issue. Remarks Mr Morrish has made to other parties, which have got back to me confirm this, and the fact that my co-promoter can have a licence straight away. My partner does not have a financial stake in this operation as I have fully funded everything. Yet, according to the BSPA rules, without a licence I would not be allowed to enter my own pit area during a meeting and they would not be obliged to speak to me on the telephone if I had a query!

I’m sorry, but this is not acceptable, if I am the one paying the bills! I have had a promoters licence at both Rye House and Wimbledon and have never had it rescinded, suspended or revoked! I am not invited to the AGM but Kevin (jolly) is so I cannot put my side of the case.

It is not as if I am embarking on this with my eyes shut. I know there is a lot of work to be done at Mildenhall and that there is the potential for losses to occur, on the other hand, there is the potential there to revive the fen tiger’s fortunes. With that in mind I approached the stadium owner Mr Dave Coventry with a comprehensive business plan. We have discussed that over a number of months, as you would no doubt see by the press reports over this winter. Mr Coventry decided that I had the best plan for the fen tigers and, it has to be said by that time I was in a race of one as the other interested parties had dropped out. I did not out-bid anyone, In fact I am paying less rent that the widely reported figure of £1300 per meeting and I had negotiated with Mr Coventry that we could hold Monday night practice sessions, which would give opportunity for youngsters and another income stream for the fen tigers.

I had a sum of money put aside for and advertising budget as I did intend to leave the running of the meetings to my partner, as I would only be concerned with promoting the fen tigers.

I have built up a small but successful transport company since I was last involved with speedway and I made the original approach to Mr Coventry because I did not want to see another speedway track close. (And, for that matter neither does Mr Coventry).

I have been set completely unacceptable terms & conditions that are unique to my position and I am unable to take the matter of Mildenhall speedway any further forward under these conditions until I have had, or attempted to have, negotiations with the BSPA, as it would seem that at this moment, the BSPA have denied a third club a level playing field.

I am genuinely sorry for those Mildenhall fans who’s hope’s have been raised by this and for those people who I have discussed my plans with who were really excited and were prepared to help. However, all this enthusiasm will go to waste due to the actions of the BSPA and their League co-ordinator.

Steven A Ribbons

NB Just had a phone call from Kevin at the AGM...they have now rejected Mildenhall’s application because of the "insecurity over the financial affairs of the promotion after last years closure caused an ‘exceptional workload for the girls in the office and the uncertainty over the stadium due to the ongoing court case” I say,- ask me about my finances and I will tell you and the court case is due to be heard next week…some three months before the start of the season!!!!!!

After your ludicrous attempt to bring speedway back to Plough Lane I would say the conditions are pretty fair.

Looks a very sad day for Mildenhall Speedway and all its great fans. Has Dave Coventry no "Plan B" in place ?

Would like to hear Simon Barton's take on all this, either from the SMS point of view, or indeed from a personal prospective.

Edited by semion

Looks a very sad day for Mildenhall Speedway and all its great fans. Has Dave Coventry no "Plan B" in place ?

Would like to hear Simon Barton's take on all this, either from the supporters point of view, or indeed from a personal prospective.

Simons in Dehli at the moment it make take a while for him to find out.

As for myself, who worked with the Mick Horton promotion, Simon Barton promotion, the Chapmans promotion and the Mascall promotion all I will say is that I am gutted for the Fen Tigers fans.

This really shows the BSPA up for what they really are, I've been quiet over the winter with comments about their actions but this really take the p*** out of everyone connected with Mildenhall, supporters, riders landlord, prospective promotions etc, etc :mad:

just bloody disgusting to be treated like that. bspa should be disbanded . and find some other organisation to run speedway .soon there will not be any speedway the way things are going.thats 3 teams not running this year . :cry::mad:

Seems the BSPA wont be happy until there are no clubs left at all - Those financial demands for a third tier club in current climates are a joke. Feel sorry for all connected to Mildenhall, lets hope its not the final nail in the coffin for them.

Another sad day for Mildenhall and after six seasons helping out it is terrible it has come to this especially for the supporters who are a great bunch.

Gutted for the fans. :(

If the BSPA are making decisions based on who's who, taking into account other issues to have arisen since last season, then perhaps it would be better for the sport if it were taken to court and ripped to shreds!!

Feel really sorry for the Mildenhall fans, some of the best fans in the sport. The BSPA are hell bent on destroying the sport, through their own self interests rarther then listening to fans. The way Mildenhall and especially the fans have been treated is nothing short of a disgrace.

Shame on you BSPA :mad: :mad:

Carry on BSPA strikes again. I feel for all you Fen Tigers fans.