British Speedway Forum
Steve Ribbons

Mildenhall Statement.

Getting back to the problems regarding the stadium. I think the problem for the local residents, is the Moto-X section. Moto-X tends to go on for a long while and they will have a mixture of 2 stroke and 4 stroke machines going round and a lot of them. If anything is going to cheese off local residents, that will. The stadium sounds over used. I can understand the owners want a return on their investment, but a thought for people in the area needs to come into the fray. Sadly, Speedway is the least noise polluter of the 3 users.

From what i've read elsewhere it was 4-3, Stoke didn't get a vote as the weren't a national league club by then. :unsure:

correct ...... only teams from last year that have said they are running this year in the nat lge can vote ..... that leaves seven teams as mildenhall, weymouth and bournemouth have dropped from last years ten teams ... stoke, Belle Vue, peterbborugh or any others joining cannot vote as they were "at the time of the vote" not in the national league ... the voting went 4 against and 3 for ... interestingly .. the four against as it says above if those are true, are all second teams who will struggle to have dates and wouldn't i guess want more than 7 or 8 teams in the league with there "higher team" fixtures to sort as well.

the teams that voted for .. if again above is true .. are three stand alone teams who are now scratching around to find meaningful matches to fill a season.

i wonder how the vote would have gone if say Stoke who looking for a full season . .were allowed to vote !

Rye House would get a vote as offically they hadn't pulled out of the league as such at the time of the vote , but merely changed there name after the decision close mildenhall was made and there vote would have been that of a second team as such at the time of the vote, but probably advised the nat league meeting of there intentions to change after the vote was made.

Getting back to the problems regarding the stadium. I think the problem for the local residents, is the Moto-X section. Moto-X tends to go on for a long while and they will have a mixture of 2 stroke and 4 stroke machines going round and a lot of them. If anything is going to cheese off local residents, that will. The stadium sounds over used. I can understand the owners want a return on their investment, but a thought for people in the area needs to come into the fray. Sadly, Speedway is the least noise polluter of the 3 users.

Moto-x don't use the stadium at Mildenhall, and have nothing to do with the promotion, apart from the moto-x and the speedway rent their land off the same owners. Probably very much like Rye House Speedway and the carting track behind it.

Google map

The link above shows the geography of Mildenhall stadium. In the top left hand corner is the stadium with the Moto-X track below and slightly to the left of the car park (field). On the right hand side of the link is the start of the runway to one of the largest and busiest USAF bases outside of the USA.

Edited by Jenkie

Moto-x don't use the stadium at Mildenhall, and have nothing to do with the promotion, apart from the moto-x and the speedway rent their land off the same owners. Probably very much like Rye House Speedway and the carting track behind it.

But Mr Coventry runs the bangers and stock cars and if all three sports are in the same area, they will all get tarred with the same brush, surely. Locals will say, 'bloody noisy motor sports', especially if they have to endure the 3 diciplines every week in the summer.

you have to ask the question the clubs that voted against Mildenhall Scunthorpe, Kingslynn, Dudley and Rye House do they think in doing so they may gain an extra few supporters from Mildenhall ? or is it they do not want competitive stand alone clubs in the NL ?

I can only hope if its the former that any mildenhall fans thinking about where to spend their hard earned cash on speedway they will think twice about where they go and not line the pockets of those who on that dark day in January hammered home the final nail in our coffin.

May be the money SMS have got they should put it towards a court action along with peterborough (although rumour has it they are going into national league) and coventry's court action.

Theres so much i wish we could do - shout,scream,punch someone lol etc but sadly i realise its futile :(

From what i've read elsewhere it was 4-3, Stoke didn't get a vote as the weren't a national league club by then. :unsure:

Do you actually know how the vote went or is this wild speculation ?

But Mr Coventry runs the bangers and stock cars and if all three sports are in the same area, they will all get tarred with the same brush, surely. Locals will say, 'bloody noisy motor sports', especially if they have to endure the 3 diciplines every week in the summer.

That is true.

The council, though, did differentiate between the speedway and the stock cars when serving noise orders.

Whatever Jonathan Chapman might have said, he didn't get one.

The speedway takes about 3 hours at most on a Sunday afternoon and rarely after 7.30pm, and the noise is intermittent. The stocks go on until midnight occasionally and when I stayed over at the stadium once the track was still being graded at 2am.

I think the stocks and the moto cross rather than the speedway are the problem but I doubt if that will be taken into account.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

.. interestingly .. the four against as it says above if those are true, are all second teams who will struggle to have dates and wouldn't i guess want more than 7 or 8 teams in the league with there "higher team" fixtures to sort as well.

How can that be true,Scunny run almost all double headers and rye wil share fixtures with Lakeside??and Dudley only have one team???? so no fixtures to sort really

I am gutted not to be waving the chequered flag at Mildenhall this season. All the riders I have spoken to say they love the track and it is a shame there wil be no racing there. The BSPA need to seriously think about what they are doing to the sport we love. Where to go now for my speedway fix.

I have been to Mildenhall Stadium only a few times in recent years and these have been with my family, mostly on Sunday afternoons, a most pleasant experience. The spectator facilities are good with plenty of food outlets and a decent bar. However, a picnic on the grass bank along the back straight has been our preferred option. As for noise, the Stadium is well away from residential housing as far as I have been able to see. The Motor-Cross is noisier I suspect but, all pales into insignificance when matched up against the B52's which seem to include it in their flight path!

Yes, its great when your relaxing out on your patio enjoying a quiet mid-afternoon nap to suddenly being awakened by 'battle of the tannoys'.

I quote (coming from the motocrosses newly installed tannoy - directed to the Stadium) - "Testing, testing - Oi, fatty can you hear us over there"

I quote (coming from the stadium - directed back to the motocross) -

"in-audible muffled screech of feedback"

And this is on a non-race day..

Edited by Just down the road

Yes, its great when your relaxing out on your patio enjoying a quiet mid-afternoon nap to suddenly being awakened by 'battle of the tannoys'.

I quote (coming from the motocrosses newly installed tannoy - directed to the Stadium) - "Testing, testing - Oi, fatty can you hear us over there"

I quote (coming from the stadium - directed back to the motocross) -

"in-audible muffled screech of feedback"

And this is on a non-race day..

I know this has been said a hundred times but if I bought a house next to a pub, then I would/should have to expect some noise at closing time, perhaps a bit of fowl language?? tough luck the pub was there when i purchased my property??

Or I move back to Mildenhall and decide the planes are a bit noisy?? again the base hasnt moved so tough luck on me... IF a new application goes in to build a pub or another runway, then I have good reason to complain and voice my objection, but not if it was clearly there when I moved in, the blame would solely lie with me and I should have looked at the area more before purchasing my home....

Well put Damon the logic of common sense.

Funny he/she does not mention any interuption to his activities when the planes fly over.

Malcolm Vasey

Funny he/she does not mention any interuption to his activities when the planes fly over.

Malcolm Vasey

Maybe because legal action cannot be taken against military venues operating under an international treaty? Pointless to object surely?

Montie - theres no such thing as a secret in speedway.

Halifax - my info is fact trust me.

dont think its so much about number of teams/fixture congestion etc its more about points allowed per team my info is that of the promotors that attended the meeting some wanting even lower points limit to have out and out training teams but the stand alone clubs wanted to be competetive in the league and i think mildenhall were a threat to them. Also im sure thought mildenhall would be desperate enough for speedway they would go to their tracks to watch but i think they have underestimated our passion for Mildenhall Fen Tigers.

Malcolm Vasey

People in general are more likely to be tolerant of noise from the USAF, as their purpose is to protect all of us in times of conflict, such as now, with the stupid involvement in Afghanistan, (another story, I know), but Moto-X, Bangers, Stock Cars and Speedway do not contribute to national security, so will not be given sympathy, by those who don't give a fig about the sports. And their voices will be heard by the local authorities, if the activities of the 3 sports has increased over the last few years and without consideration to the residents. Someone said on here that the grader after Stock Cars was going around the track at 2.00 am in the morning! Is that being considerate to the local community? To me, it sounds like they have driven their own nails into their own coffins. The sad thing is, it doesn't sound as though it's the Speedway that has caused the fury, could be wrong, but sounds like the other 2 activities which are to blame.

Edited by Ray Stadia