British Speedway Forum
Steve Ribbons

Mildenhall Statement.

From the Cambridge Evening News - So now we know!!-

Morrish: Why we axed Tigers

National League co-ordinator Peter Morrish has outlined the reasons why Mildenhall were denied a return to the sport, but insisted the door was open for 2012.

Morrish praised the West Row set-up but said the uncertainty following last years mid-season closure and the continuing stadium court case were the deciding factors in the National League promoters delivering their damning verdict in a majority vote earlier this week.

Last year took a considerable amount of sorting for the BSPA, said Morrish. It always does when a club folds mid-season. I agree that wasnt the fault of this promotion, but over the years the club has had a string of promoters which is very worrying and doesnt inspire confidence.

There is also the court case and it went to the vote. The BSPA or myself do not vote. It was the promoters of the other clubs which decided not to have Mildenhall coming into the league because of too much uncertainty and to let it lie fallow for 12 months.But the door is wide open.

No-one wants Mildenhall to close, it is not in the BSPAs vested interest we need tracks like them as we are now down to only three

stand-alone teams. If they can sort something with the stadium then wed love to have them back.

I dont want to see it close. I spent hours on the telephone last year with (stadium owner) Dave Coventry trying to keep it going. Maybe they can run some open meetings this year.

It is a great place with a super stadium. It is as good as anything in the National League and is better than the likes of Plymouth and Buxton.

I love going there and always get a good reception. It has a smashing atmosphere and I have the greatest respect for it.

Edited by PhilK

“It [Mildenhall] is a great place with a super stadium. It is as good as anything in the National League and is better than the likes of Plymouth and Buxton.

Hmm, ever the diplomat is our Peter!! :blink: No wonder Dr. Kissinger got that job in the 1970s ahead of him!!! :wink:

Also does Mr. M. perhaps think Buxton have moved up like Plymouth...: the quote seems to imply this!!! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't expect any; other area's of life that are supposed to be decent and humane seem to struggle with it. Apparently, the modern world does not call for compassion.

I'm not so sure... Football's a very cut throat sport but when human tragedy strikes like the death of a manager or player I would NEVER expect to hear a rival club or an administrator making any comments like this. And if they did they'd face a Keys/Gray type media witch-hunt for doing so...

Sorry but while I don't think Peter M. meant to offend, it is insensitive in the extreme...

I certainly support the view that throughout speedway is often displayed a lack of finesse.

I ma choosing my words very carefully here but I feel that every possible solution should have been considered prior to the present point being reached. Also the lateness of the AGM has left no time for a suitable rescue.

It is disappointing when these things happen and I feel it for the supporters and staff at West Row who have been my friends for years.

As for Planning and the vulgar system let me remind you of the fact that Boston were turned down after the Planning Committee gave us the thumbs up in 2003. Every Conservative on the full council voted against the propsoal for a track situated between a very busy main road and a light aircraft runway and where there is already a white elephant athletics stadium which is a major under used cost factor for the citizens of Boston. The local paper ran an independent survey amongst its readers and 93% were in favour of the track!

I was very pleased that some of those Tories lost their seats against national trends in the local elections the following year. Effectively Boston Speedway was killed forever by a Tory led Council out of touch with people's wishes and I suspect becuase some of them lived in Sleaford Road which is a couple of miles away. Ineterestingly enough the fair minded local police tried to move cars of our supporters out of site because they were clad in details of the events. You couldn't make it up.

The Big Society theme clearly had not got underway at that time! I'll do something for this Big Society when I see the MP's who paid back expenses taling part. No chance of that of course.

I feel that our sport needs a Patron of great substance and distinction to lead us our of the wilderness and to make us appear better in the eyes of such people as the Boston District Council (and others) who had a mortto once "For Sport". Is there not a Chief Constable or Caninet Minister speedway supporter that can help us on the road to recovery.

Or is that a dream that will never happen?

Malcolm Vasey

I think you have summed up, more than one issue, very well Malcolm.

Hmm, ever the diplomat is our Peter!! :blink: No wonder Dr. Kissinger got that job in the 1970s ahead of him!!! :wink:

Also does Mr. M. perhaps think Buxton have moved up like Plymouth...: the quote seems to imply this!!! :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure... Football's a very cut throat sport but when human tragedy strikes like the death of a manager or player I would NEVER expect to hear a rival club or an administrator making any comments like this. And if they did they'd face a Keys/Gray type media witch-hunt for doing so...

Sorry but while I don't think Peter M. meant to offend, it is insensitive in the extreme...

I admit the Plymouth/Buxton comment jumped out at me.

I wasn't referring solely to sport.

I am delighted for Mr Morrish that he doesn't have to visit the rubbish facilities at Plymouth this season. Hopefully for Mr Morrish he won't EVER have to do so again. Charming man .... NOT

Edit to correct speeling mistack

Edited by ancient mariner

you have to ask the question the clubs that voted against Mildenhall Scunthorpe, Kingslynn, Dudley and Rye House do they think in doing so they may gain an extra few supporters from Mildenhall ? or is it they do not want competitive stand alone clubs in the NL ?

I can only hope if its the former that any mildenhall fans thinking about where to spend their hard earned cash on speedway they will think twice about where they go and not line the pockets of those who on that dark day in January hammered home the final nail in our coffin.

May be the money SMS have got they should put it towards a court action along with peterborough (although rumour has it they are going into national league) and coventry's court action.

Theres so much i wish we could do - shout,scream,punch someone lol etc but sadly i realise its futile :(

you have to ask the question the clubs that voted against Mildenhall Scunthorpe, Kingslynn, Dudley and Rye House do they think in doing so they may gain an extra few supporters from Mildenhall ? or is it they do not want competitive stand alone clubs in the NL ?

I can only hope if its the former that any mildenhall fans thinking about where to spend their hard earned cash on speedway they will think twice about where they go and not line the pockets of those who on that dark day in January hammered home the final nail in our coffin.

May be the money SMS have got they should put it towards a court action along with peterborough (although rumour has it they are going into national league) and coventry's court action.

Theres so much i wish we could do - shout,scream,punch someone lol etc but sadly i realise its futile :(

Good post i certainly will not be going to watch kings lynn ever again i also know a lot of other supporters feel the same i am now going to ipswich and watch from now on

Morrish: Why we axed Tigers

National League co-ordinator Peter Morrish has outlined the reasons why Mildenhall were denied a return to the sport, but insisted the door was open for 2012.

Morrish praised the West Row set-up but said the uncertainty following last year’s mid-season closure and the continuing stadium court case were the deciding factors in the National League promoters delivering their damning verdict in a majority vote earlier this week.

“Last year took a considerable amount of sorting for the BSPA,” said Morrish. “It always does when a club folds mid-season. I agree that wasn’t the fault of this promotion, but over the years the club has had a string of promoters which is very worrying and doesn’t inspire confidence.

“There is also the court case and it went to the vote. The BSPA or myself do not vote. It was the promoters of the other clubs which decided not to have Mildenhall coming into the league because of too much uncertainty and to let it lie fallow for 12 months.“But the door is wide open.

No-one wants Mildenhall to close, it is not in the BSPA’s vested interest – we need tracks like them as we are now down to only three

stand-alone teams. If they can sort something with the stadium then we’d love to have them back.

“I don’t want to see it close. I spent hours on the telephone last year with (stadium owner) Dave Coventry trying to keep it going. Maybe they can run some open meetings this year.

“It is a great place with a super stadium. It is as good as anything in the National League and is better than the likes of Plymouth and Buxton.

“I love going there and always get a good reception. It has a smashing atmosphere and I have the greatest respect for it.”

so. how many votes went against mildenhall? all 8 clubs? or was it so close that peter morrish had to cast his vote as well? he still hasnt explained why it was secret. who voted against mildenhall then? i think we should know who kicked this club while it was down and see who its real friends are .

so. how many votes went against mildenhall? all 8 clubs? or was it so close that peter morrish had to cast his vote as well? he still hasnt explained why it was secret. who voted against mildenhall then? i think we should know who kicked this club while it was down and see who its real friends are .

Fentigers79 has posted that's it's Scunthorpe, Kings Lynn, Dudley and Rye House, billy.

Dannielle - whilst you will be very welcome at Ipswich, I truly wish it's wasn't at the expense of Mildenhall :(

you have to ask the question the clubs that voted against Mildenhall Scunthorpe, Kingslynn, Dudley and Rye House

Firstly if Scunny,Kingslynn,Dudley and Rye House voted against them,they wouldn`t have enough votes to carry the vote through,i dont believe you have the correct info ther as there were ten teams involved in the meeting

And second,how much do SMS have,??? if they have enough to match Peterborough and Coventrys court cost i would say they could run the fentigers them selves and we wouldnt he having this debate now!!!!

Fentigers79 has posted that's it's Scunthorpe, Kings Lynn, Dudley and Rye House, billy.

Dannielle - whilst you will be very welcome at Ipswich, I truly wish it's wasn't at the expense of Mildenhall :(

if thats true and excuse my ignorance then thats 4 clubs out of 8? thats not a majority vote is it? or am i missing something here? and its not lack of brain cells.

if thats true and excuse my ignorance then thats 4 clubs out of 8? thats not a majority vote is it? or am i missing something here? and its not lack of brain cells.

How can Rye House vote against because they are no longer a team :unsure: ? My brain cells are struggling too...

How can Rye House vote against because they are no longer a team :unsure: ? My brain cells are struggling too...

but i suppose they were so to speak at the time the meeting was held.still like to know how many votes were cast and how many for and against.thats a democratic vote isnt it? oh forgot were talking about the bspa

From what i've read elsewhere it was 4-3, Stoke didn't get a vote as the weren't a national league club by then. :unsure:

From what i've read elsewhere it was 4-3, Stoke didn't get a vote as the weren't a national league club by then. :unsure:

so much for the "secret vote"!!!!