British Speedway Forum
Steve Ribbons

Mildenhall Statement.

Montie - theres no such thing as a secret in speedway.

Halifax - my info is fact trust me.

dont think its so much about number of teams/fixture congestion etc its more about points allowed per team my info is that of the promotors that attended the meeting some wanting even lower points limit to have out and out training teams but the stand alone clubs wanted to be competetive in the league and i think mildenhall were a threat to them. Also im sure thought mildenhall would be desperate enough for speedway they would go to their tracks to watch but i think they have underestimated our passion for Mildenhall Fen Tigers.

In what way were Mildenhall a threat???

Sadly no matter how much passion you have,its a stable promotion thats needed to stop Mildenhall looming from one problem to the next

Edited by montie

People in general are more likely to be tolerant of noise from the USAF, as their purpose is to protect all of us in times of conflict, such as now, with the stupid involvement in Afghanistan, (another story, I know), but Moto-X, Bangers, Stock Cars and Speedway do not contribute to national security, so will not be given sympathy, by those who don't give a fig about the sports. And their voices will be heard by the local authorities, if the activities of the 3 sports has increased over the last few years and without consideration to the residents. Someone said on here that the grader after Stock Cars was going around the track at 2.00 am in the morning! Is that being considerate to the local community? To me, it sounds like they have driven their own nails into their own coffins. The sad thing is, it doesn't sound as though it's the Speedway that has caused the fury, could be wrong, but sounds like the other 2 activities which are to blame.

Not quite right, Ray.

The reason this person has not tried to stop the noise from the airbase is simply because they can't. You can bet your life that if they could they would have done.

What you have to understand in this is precisely where West Row stadium is - its literally in the middle of nowhere, with less than 20 houses within noisy earshot. Given that the end of the runway is right opposite the track, its difficult to imagine a more appropriate position for a place where stocks, Moto X & speedway take place.

Its true to suggest there is noise late at night and during weekends. What you have to remember is that planning permission has been granted by the local authority and Dave Coventry has complied with many restrictions and recommendations that they have made. Clearly, they think that the circumstances are OK.

What you can't get past is that this person moved in in the full knowledge that the stadium and the Moto X track where nearby. As I have said before, you don't move into a lighthouse if you don't like the sea, and their unjustifiable selfishness threatens the enjoyment that hundreds get from the speedway and thousands get from the stocks.

Montie - theres no such thing as a secret in speedway.

Halifax - my info is fact trust me.

dont think its so much about number of teams/fixture congestion etc its more about points allowed per team my info is that of the promotors that attended the meeting some wanting even lower points limit to have out and out training teams but the stand alone clubs wanted to be competetive in the league and i think mildenhall were a threat to them. Also im sure thought mildenhall would be desperate enough for speedway they would go to their tracks to watch but i think they have underestimated our passion for Mildenhall Fen Tigers.

I don't think the points limit is an issue - at least not to that extent. Most NL fans (be they from stand alone or double up tracks) would accept 40pts, and that's certainly a lot higher than Rob Godfrey, for example, wanted last year.

I don't wish to doubt your word but I have had 5 opinions on this from people who claim they know the truth. Those opinions differ quite considerably, so I retain an open mind on this subject.

Not quite right, Ray.

The reason this person has not tried to stop the noise from the airbase is simply because they can't. You can bet your life that if they could they would have done.

What you have to understand in this is precisely where West Row stadium is - its literally in the middle of nowhere, with less than 20 houses within noisy earshot. Given that the end of the runway is right opposite the track, its difficult to imagine a more appropriate position for a place where stocks, Moto X & speedway take place.

Its true to suggest there is noise late at night and during weekends. What you have to remember is that planning permission has been granted by the local authority and Dave Coventry has complied with many restrictions and recommendations that they have made. Clearly, they think that the circumstances are OK.

What you can't get past is that this person moved in in the full knowledge that the stadium and the Moto X track where nearby. As I have said before, you don't move into a lighthouse if you don't like the sea, and their unjustifiable selfishness threatens the enjoyment that hundreds get from the speedway and thousands get from the stocks.

Thank you for putting me in the picture. On that basis, why is there a pending court case and is it the pending court case that has stopped the sanctioning of Speedway at West Row? Or is it something else? Is there doubt over the 'soundness' of the prospective Promoter(s)? It is a genuine question, as I am a bit confused, as maybe others are.

In addition to Mildenhall being an active Speedway team, in the past, they also offered good training facilities, with regular practice days. What happened to those? And why, at least, can't the track be used for this purpose?

Thank you for putting me in the picture. On that basis, why is there a pending court case and is it the pending court case that has stopped the sanctioning of Speedway at West Row? Or is it something else? Is there doubt over the 'soundness' of the prospective Promoter(s)? It is a genuine question, as I am a bit confused, as maybe others are.

In addition to Mildenhall being an active Speedway team, in the past, they also offered good training facilities, with regular practice days. What happened to those? And why, at least, can't the track be used for this purpose?

To answer your questions the court case is about noise. I just don't understand how it can be taken seriously or hope to succeed in the circumstances but that's looking at it logically, though, and the courts don't see it that way.

The grounds stated for refusal are financial and the possibility that the stadium might not be available for speedway.

Planning permission restricts the use of the stadium as far as I am aware.

To answer your questions the court case is about noise. I just don't understand how it can be taken seriously or hope to succeed in the circumstances but that's looking at it logically, though, and the courts don't see it that way.

The grounds stated for refusal are financial and the possibility that the stadium might not be available for speedway.

Planning permission restricts the use of the stadium as far as I am aware.

I am sorry for the Mildenhall fans, but it does sound a muddle. I suppose the real fact is, the fan base has reduced over the years and has made it difficult for any Promoter to meet costs, noise problems aside, which may or may not be a red herring.

I am not sure whether Mildenhall has ever recovered from the 'Klatt days', to be honest. :(

Not quite right, Ray.

20 houses ?!!

Oh, you mean the 20 houses you pass coming down Cooks Drove (including the very properties Water's and Bastick live in/own/rent).

What about the Marina ? - Just because you don't pass them on your drive in Halifaxtiger, doesn't mean that there are not a LOT more houses in the vicinity.

Also, depending on the prevailing wind, these motorsport venues can be heard MILES away and the motocross circuit has been the subject of on-going noise issues with Forest Heath District Council for YEARS.

This whole matter runs a lot deeper with FHDC than you might think.

What you have to remember is that when Terry Waters was on the council planning committee these issues were always smoothed over - they had to be or he would lose the £80k per year rent from Chris Bastick on the motocross circuit plus the rent from the Stadium.

Not any more.

James Waters might have thought he could do the same when he replaced his disgraced father on the planning committee - but that has not happened.

The members are EXTREMELY cautious of siding with James Waters now because of the whole prior planning corruption issue with his father Terry.

The Planning corruption issue that saw Terry Waters so publicly and disgracefully removed from office and barred from being a councillor 2 years ago.

James Waters carries no weight on the planning commitee now whatsoever and this is why matters have now gone so far with the courts and why such 'alternative measures' have been taken against anyone who DARE complain.

Remember, Terry Waters had no problem whatsover with the Standards Board in dragging down other councillors who had previously sided with him - obviously lessons have now been learned and the same mistakes won't be made again by councillors wanting to keep their office (sorry pension).

If the Stadium and motocross circuit close, Waters stands to lose not only the revenue from these 2 venues but will also be liable for the complainants £500k+ damages and also both sides Barrister's legal costs as well.

This collectively could well run into Millions. The Coventry family will walk from their part-investment and Waters will be left with a lovely loss making dog track (with no more BGRB grants either)..

Edited by Just down the road

I know this has been said a hundred times but if I bought a house next to a pub, then I would/should have to expect some noise at closing time, perhaps a bit of fowl language?? tough luck the pub was there when i purchased my property??

Or I move back to Mildenhall and decide the planes are a bit noisy?? again the base hasnt moved so tough luck on me... IF a new application goes in to build a pub or another runway, then I have good reason to complain and voice my objection, but not if it was clearly there when I moved in, the blame would solely lie with me and I should have looked at the area more before purchasing my home....

C'mon Damon, theres a bit of a difference between buying a house next to the Queens Arms than having tannoys blasting out on a NON-RACE DAY.

I'm sure you would be the first to complain if tannoy systems were set up either end of Queensway and then blasted abuse to each other while you were trying to get your kids to sleep.. :(

I am gutted not to be waving the chequered flag at Mildenhall this season. All the riders I have spoken to say they love the track and it is a shame there wil be no racing there. The BSPA need to seriously think about what they are doing to the sport we love. Where to go now for my speedway fix.

All hope is not yet lost. Quoted from the Scunthorpe Forum tonight, Rob Godfrey says:

"I have read the BSF and i was at that meeting and all i can tell you all the speculation from people who think they know is totally : httrubbish and the vote split is inaccurate.We as a league have not given up on mildenhall and all i can tell you it is not a lost cause yet and it has nothing at all to do with fixture congestion.".

I have posted this piece of information, which is a fact, on

this forum before, so will do so again, in respect of the

noise issue/motorsports.

When ANY prospective home buyer approaches ANY UK, Estate Agency

about purchasing a home, the Estate Agency MUST, by law, disclose

any problem area's, including any potential noise issues from places

like Motor sport venues/stadia.

There was a situation at Ipswich, when a new housing estate was built

off of the Foxhall road, approximately 500 to 600 metres as the crow

flies, from Foxhall Stadium. Potential home buyers from that estate

were informed about the stadium, its race night, times it ran etc.

BUT, and here is the real laugh... the Estate Agent told the prospective

home buyers, that the stadium would be closed within 2 years, that was

some 10 to 12 years ago now. Up until the 'closure' of the stadium part,

the Agent had complied with the law, whether anyone took legal action

after moving in and finding that the stadium would not, or has not closed,

I have no idea, but the Agent most certainly told a lie on the closure part.

The person taking the noise pollution action against Mildenhall stadium HAD

to have been told about the stadium etc, so as others have said...WHY MOVE

INTO THAT PROPERTY for heavens sake.

Likewise this Marina mentioned, was that there before or after the stadium

was built? If it was after, then they had to have been told too, so I am

sorry, its down to said property buyers, if they chose to move to a place

knowing that there would be noise from motorsports then they did so knowing

full well that they would not get their quiet peaceful Sunday afternoons

or whatever well in advance of handing over their money for that property.

They had the choice....!!

I have posted this piece of information, which is a fact, on

this forum before, so will do so again, in respect of the

noise issue/motorsports.

When ANY prospective home buyer approaches ANY UK, Estate Agency

about purchasing a home, the Estate Agency MUST, by law, disclose

any problem area's, including any potential noise issues from places

like Motor sport venues/stadia.

There was a situation at Ipswich, when a new housing estate was built

off of the Foxhall road, approximately 500 to 600 metres as the crow

flies, from Foxhall Stadium. Potential home buyers from that estate

were informed about the stadium, its race night, times it ran etc.

BUT, and here is the real laugh... the Estate Agent told the prospective

home buyers, that the stadium would be closed within 2 years, that was

some 10 to 12 years ago now. Up until the 'closure' of the stadium part,

the Agent had complied with the law, whether anyone took legal action

after moving in and finding that the stadium would not, or has not closed,

I have no idea, but the Agent most certainly told a lie on the closure part.

The person taking the noise pollution action against Mildenhall stadium HAD

to have been told about the stadium etc, so as others have said...WHY MOVE

INTO THAT PROPERTY for heavens sake.

Likewise this Marina mentioned, was that there before or after the stadium

was built? If it was after, then they had to have been told too, so I am

sorry, its down to said property buyers, if they chose to move to a place

knowing that there would be noise from motorsports then they did so knowing

full well that they would not get their quiet peaceful Sunday afternoons

or whatever well in advance of handing over their money for that property.

They had the choice....!!

When the complainants in question moved in they made a complaint to FHDC (which they were entitled to do). FHDC upheld this complaint and noise counter-measures were put into place which included additional acoustic bunding being placed around the motocross and hay bales.

The Stadium increased its noise bund and also installed some 'acoustic fencing'.

Chris Bastick (the motocross owner) offered to buy their house from them (which obviously then became an admission of liability).

The complainants declined his offer price.

Local newspapers report that they then had their vehicles smashed to pieces with a tele-porter one night.

On another occasion they were run off the road by a large 4x4.

Another occasion had their house completely flooded by a water irrigation system being used by an un-named local potato farmer.

Another occasion had the same un-named local farmer ALLEGEDLY threatening to beat the complainant up (if you want the farmers name, please read the front page of this weeks Bury Free Press).

Another occasion the complainant saw their newly purchased property completely surrounded on the boundary by hay bales - plunging the house into darkness.

Another occasion finally saw the house fire-bombed.

They then moved out and commenced legal proceedings against the following for harrassment and damages -

TERENCE WATERS (motoland UK's landlord)

ANTHONY MORLEY (Motoland UK's land owner and Terry Waters' landlord)- Anthony Morley who incidentally is a very frail and elderly gentleman in his 90's who should never have been dragged into this mess.

JAMES WATERS (Stadium owner)

DAVID COVENTRY (RDC promotions Stock car promoter)

CLIFFORD BASTICK (Motoland UK)

Forest Heath District Council are preparing a seperate case.

Plus, there are other local individuals who (subject to the outcome of this particular case) will be filing similar claims.

Edited by Just down the road

When the complainants in question moved in they made a complaint to FHDC (which they were entitled to do). FHDC upheld this complaint and noise counter-measures were put into place which included additional acoustic bunding being placed around the motocross and hay bales.

The Stadium increased its noise bund and also installed some 'acoustic fencing'.

Chris Bastick (the motocross owner) offered to buy their house from them (which obviously then became an admission of liability).

The complainants declined his offer price.

Local newspaper reports that they then had their vehicles smashed to pieces with a tele-porter one night.

On another occasion they were run off the road by a large 4x4.

Another occasion had their house completely flooded by a water irrigation system being used by an un-named local potato farmer.

Another occasion had the same un-named local farmer ALLEGEDLY threatening to beat the complainant up (if you want the farmers name, please read the front page of this weeks Bury Free Press).

Another occasion the complainant saw their newly purchased property completely surrounded on the boundary by hay bales - plunging the house into darkness.

Another occasion finally saw the house fire-bombed.

They then moved out and commenced legal proceedings against the following for harrassment and damages -

TERENCE WATERS (motoland UK's landlord)

ANTHONY MORLEY (Motoland UK's land owner and Terry Waters' landlord) who incidentally is a very elderly gentleman in his 90's who should never have been dragged into this mess.

JAMES WATERS (Stadium owner)

DAVID COVENTRY (RDC promotions Stock car promoter)

CLIFFORD BASTICK (Motoland UK)

Forest Heath District Council are filing a seperate case against the Stadia /motocross owners and it's tenants.

Plus, there are other local individuals who (subject to the outcome of this particular case) will be filing similar claims.

I have no idea why you've aimed that lot in my direction.

I merely stated the law regarding the disclosure of any noise problems by any UK Estate Agency to

any prospective home buyer AND asked why anyone, not wanting any noise, would go ahead and buy a

property knowing well in advance that there was a noise issue.

I do not, nor ever have, condoned threats of violence, or criminal behaviour of any sort.

Neither can I read the Bury Free press for information(unless there is a link to it online),

as I currently reside in Northern Ireland, although I was the track curator at Mildenhall

during the Tony Mole/Graham Drury era.

I have no idea why you've aimed that lot in my direction.

I merely stated the law regarding the disclosure of any noise problems by any UK Estate Agency to

any prospective home buyer AND asked why anyone, not wanting any noise, would go ahead and buy a

property knowing well in advance that there was a noise issue.

I do not, nor ever have, condoned threats of violence, or criminal behaviour of any sort.

Neither can I read the Bury Free press for information(unless there is a link to it online),

as I currently reside in Northern Ireland, although I was the track curator at Mildenhall

during the Tony Mole/Graham Drury era.

With respect tomcat, I am sure they were made aware of the Stadium and it's activities.

The fireworks and daily 'battle of the tannoys' inititated a complaint to the stadium / motocross which went unheeded, leading to a direct complaint to FHDC who then set up noise measuring equipment - which obviously brought the whole lot under the spotlight.

Just posting the facts here as they currently are to date..

In what way were Mildenhall a threat???

Sadly no matter how much passion you have,its a stable promotion thats needed to stop Mildenhall looming from one problem to the next

Does not matter how unstable Steve Ribbons may have appeared , the way both him and Kevin Jolly were treated is nothing short of Discusting, If the Bspa were so Concerned about the stability of their Promotional aspirations they should have asked for a very Large Bond , Instead of trying to fleece Steve Ribbons Of £5,000 for joining the league and another £5,000 for Promoting rights to line their pockets with , they could have asked for a £13,500 bond. and then if the club folded no-one would be left out of pocket ,

All hope is not yet lost. Quoted from the Scunthorpe Forum tonight, Rob Godfrey says:

"I have read the BSF and i was at that meeting and all i can tell you all the speculation from people who think they know is totally : httrubbish and the vote split is inaccurate.We as a league have not given up on mildenhall and all i can tell you it is not a lost cause yet and it has nothing at all to do with fixture congestion.".

This is an interesting quote.

First point - the "speculation" that is out there on the internet is that the vote was 4 against - 3 for. If Mr Godfrey says this is wrong then the vote must have gone even more against Mildenhall which makes the potential to come back worse not better surely.

Second point - Its nice to hear that the league have not given up on Mildenhall. One polite suggestion to the BSPA is that if another promoter or promotional team does come forward I hope the communication is clearer than it appears to have been this time round, and that does not only relate to the potential Ribbons/Jolly promotion.

Nikko