British Speedway Forum
Steve Ribbons

Mildenhall Statement.

With respect tomcat, I am sure they were made aware of the Stadium and it's activities.

The fireworks and daily 'battle of the tannoys' inititated a complaint to the stadium / motocross which went unheeded, leading to a direct complaint to FHDC who then set up noise measuring equipment - which obviously brought the whole lot under the spotlight.

Just posting the facts here as they currently are to date..

Simple question to you, since you seem to know plenty about the complainant's reasons for taking the matter to FHDC.

Why on earth move in to a property within the vicinity of not only a motor-sports stadium/Moto-X track, but also a USAF airbase?!

For a single complainant to be seemingly able to throw the future of a venue which has staged motor-sports for the best part of 40 years is extremely unjust to say the absolute least.

Edited by neil3065

When the complainants in question moved in they made a complaint to FHDC (which they were entitled to do). FHDC upheld this complaint and noise counter-measures were put into place which included additional acoustic bunding being placed around the motocross and hay bales.

The Stadium increased its noise bund and also installed some 'acoustic fencing'.

Chris Bastick (the motocross owner) offered to buy their house from them (which obviously then became an admission of liability).

The complainants declined his offer price.

Local newspapers report that they then had their vehicles smashed to pieces with a tele-porter one night.

On another occasion they were run off the road by a large 4x4.

Another occasion had their house completely flooded by a water irrigation system being used by an un-named local potato farmer.

Another occasion had the same un-named local farmer ALLEGEDLY threatening to beat the complainant up (if you want the farmers name, please read the front page of this weeks Bury Free Press).

Another occasion the complainant saw their newly purchased property completely surrounded on the boundary by hay bales - plunging the house into darkness.

Another occasion finally saw the house fire-bombed.

They then moved out and commenced legal proceedings against the following for harrassment and damages -

TERENCE WATERS (motoland UK's landlord)

ANTHONY MORLEY (Motoland UK's land owner and Terry Waters' landlord)- Anthony Morley who incidentally is a very frail and elderly gentleman in his 90's who should never have been dragged into this mess.

JAMES WATERS (Stadium owner)

DAVID COVENTRY (RDC promotions Stock car promoter)

CLIFFORD BASTICK (Motoland UK)

Forest Heath District Council are preparing a seperate case.

Plus, there are other local individuals who (subject to the outcome of this particular case) will be filing similar claims.

I'll try and answer both of your posts in one.

What Terry Waters, his son, Dave Coventry, or any other individual stands to lose isn't the issue where I am concerned. Its what the thousands that watch the stocks and the hundreds that watch the speedway will lose which is more the point.

You will note that I said 'noisy earshot'. That means a serious disturbance, not some background noise that might be expected from any such amenity and lets not forget that the stadium is at the end of the air force runway - when a plane goes over, you can't hear the speedway bikes.

If this person (or anyone else)moved in after the stadium was built (ie mid 1970's) they knew it was there. Consequently, they knew about the noise before moving in. If they moved in later, then they would have known about the stock cars and Moto X as well.

Until you can provide a cogent and reasonable response as to why they moved in the full knowledge of the existence of the stadium and its uses, your argument will not convince anyone on this forum (or, I suspect, any other reasonable person).

Lets not forget that the stadium is miles from major habitation and, as I have said, is in a noisy place anyway. Its difficult to imagine a more appropriate place for it to be.

In my view, what we have is an extremely selfish individual who expects everything around them to change, no matter how long it has been there or how many people enjoy its existence. They are not satisfied with the council's recommendations or Dave Coventry's attempts to make matters easier for them and if such persons always had their way nothing would ever be built and huge numbers of amenities would be torn down.

What I will not deny is that the actions that have been perpertrated against them are absolutely appalling,wholly unjustifiable and are almost certainly provoked by their stance (although proving that will be difficult). Whoever has taken these acts may just find that their stupidity could cost the stadium and its continued existence very dearly indeed.

I think the should be a big 'IF' when talking of these supposed actions against them. IF they ever happened in some cases, IF any or all of them were intentional and most importantly IF they were the deliberate actions of people who were in any way involved with the motorsport.

Such people seem to make many enemies in life and just lay the blame for everything in the place that most suits their current grievance.

With respect tomcat, I am sure they were made aware of the Stadium and it's activities.

The fireworks and daily 'battle of the tannoys' inititated a complaint to the stadium / motocross which went unheeded, leading to a direct complaint to FHDC who then set up noise measuring equipment - which obviously brought the whole lot under the spotlight.

Just posting the facts here as they currently are to date..

I would say offering to buy a property from someone ,who had not taken the time to check on their surroundings before making what is considered the biggest and most important purchase most people will ever make , was a charitable act rather than an admission of guilt,and assuming the fair market value was offered was a solution that would have been agreeable to both parties. but then again I would say that because I'm not trying to justify my pitiful and petty complaints against something that brings many people enjoyment.

Edited by speedibee

Been with my mate tonight and we where looking at the many speedway sites on facebook, which I’m not on. Some of the sites are brilliant, riders who where my idols, will have to start living in 2011.

I feel though a few things where a bit out of order on facebook. Firstly pictures of people-other promoters-on a Save Mildenhall site, which it is claimed voted against Mildenhall coming back into the NL. Is this information 100% correct? Didn’t read all the posts if I’m honest. John Sampford had his picture supporting Mildenhall, taken last year and claiming he didn’t help Mildenhall at the recent NL AGM. But was he at the AGM? To my knowledge he‘s just a team manager? If I was John I would be extremely upset at this, same goes for Len Silver and BSPA press officer Nigel Pearson-was he at the AGM?- also both pictured, who they allegedly claim voted against Mildenhall acceptance in this years NL

We all know Len Silver and Steve Ribbons have a bit of history, perhaps it was a personal thing in which case Len should have at least not voted, assuming he voted against. But maybe, just maybe other fellow promoters feel that perhaps the lack of air fence could have been a issue? There have been some very nasty injuries at West Row in recent years and perhaps with Nigel Pearson-if he was at the AGM- always keeping on about the importance of air fences on Monday night speedway, that may as well been an issue with him / Dudley.

It’s certainly by the look of things become a major political issue, no different to what’s gone at Coventry and Peterborough. We’re all entitled to free speech, Steve Ribbons is obviously extremely peed of with the whole thing and wanted on this forum to put his side of events. Will we see any response from the BSPA? I think we all know the answer to that, at the most it will be a token response.

I wish Mildenhall well, if I’m honest, the track does need a air fence but firstly the obstacle of the court case threatens the whole site, that’s now the one they have to win. Loose that at its curtains for the everyone and everything at Mildenhall Stadium and the motor cross as well.

Good Luck Mildenahll

Been with my mate tonight and we where looking at the many speedway sites on facebook, which I’m not on. Some of the sites are brilliant, riders who where my idols, will have to start living in 2011.

I feel though a few things where a bit out of order on facebook. Firstly pictures of people-other promoters-on a Save Mildenhall site, which it is claimed voted against Mildenhall coming back into the NL. Is this information 100% correct? Didn’t read all the posts if I’m honest. John Sampford had his picture supporting Mildenhall, taken last year and claiming he didn’t help Mildenhall at the recent NL AGM. But was he at the AGM? To my knowledge he‘s just a team manager? If I was John I would be extremely upset at this, same goes for Len Silver and BSPA press officer Nigel Pearson-was he at the AGM?- also both pictured, who they allegedly claim voted against Mildenhall acceptance in this years NL

We all know Len Silver and Steve Ribbons have a bit of history, perhaps it was a personal thing in which case Len should have at least not voted, assuming he voted against. But maybe, just maybe other fellow promoters feel that perhaps the lack of air fence could have been a issue? There have been some very nasty injuries at West Row in recent years and perhaps with Nigel Pearson-if he was at the AGM- always keeping on about the importance of air fences on Monday night speedway, that may as well been an issue with him / Dudley.

It’s certainly by the look of things become a major political issue, no different to what’s gone at Coventry and Peterborough. We’re all entitled to free speech, Steve Ribbons is obviously extremely peed of with the whole thing and wanted on this forum to put his side of events. Will we see any response from the BSPA? I think we all know the answer to that, at the most it will be a token response.

I wish Mildenhall well, if I’m honest, the track does need a air fence but firstly the obstacle of the court case threatens the whole site, that’s now the one they have to win. Loose that at its curtains for the everyone and everything at Mildenhall Stadium and the motor cross as well.

Good Luck Mildenahll

have to agree with you there Dave

i also read that site and thought is it any wonder the tigers are in the position they are in,Nikko,you clain to try and help young riders but how is calling them all names and threatening to blow the lid on the agm going to help you in your quest.you come across a little bitter on a personnal level.if you are so good,as you seem to think on the sms fentigers page,Why didnt you take on the promotion

Calling promotors names in public wont do you any favours,as well as make yourself look a fool

If this person (or anyone else)moved in after the stadium was built (ie mid 1970's) they knew it was there. Consequently, they knew about the noise before moving in. If they moved in later, then they would have known about the stock cars and Moto X as well.

Hi HT,

This was the point I raised, then got a list of alleged attacks against the complainant and

a list of those allegedly responsible and being taken to court from Mr Just Down The Road.

I ask why he aimed that at me, as I was only pointing out the facts with regards to disclosure

of any potential nuisances and he replied that with all due respect to myself, he was just

stating the facts.

I'm still waiting for a reasoned answer from Mr Just Down The Road on my question, from either

him or herself or anyone else defending the person making the noise complaint.

Another question to the same person/persons... If the people alleged to haved carried out these

attacks are due in a court of law, has any of them actually been arrested? As the accusation are

based on criminal damage, threatening behaviour and so on, for which the accused have to have been

arrested for and charges brought against them.

You cannot just phone your solicitor and say, "I believe Mr X has set fire to my home/smashed my car/placed

farm machinery in a field to block my light etc and they're taken to court.

In particular, the accusations of arson and damaging property must be followed by arrest and charges being laid

before any court action, as a police investigation would be needed to gather evidence and statements from any

witnesses to acertain whether those accused have any case to answer.

Edited by tomcat

Unfirtunately there are many people around these days who fall in to the category of the house buyer in question. I knew a guy who worked at an abattoir surrounded by fields. They operated for 20 years day and night with trucks going in and out all hours of the day.

Suddenly a housing estate appeared and within 3 years they were forced to close due to complaints from residents about the noise!

What is worse than these people is the laws that let them get away with it. A few residents closed a business and put around 50 people out of work. The consequences of the resident in Mildenhall and the laws that allow him/her to do such a thing a far greater, not to mention more absurd given the surrounding noise pollution.

Edited by ImpartialOne

i also read that site and thought is it any wonder the tigers are in the position they are in,Nikko,you clain to try and help young riders but how is calling them all names and threatening to blow the lid on the agm going to help you in your quest.you come across a little bitter on a personnal level.if you are so good,as you seem to think on the sms fentigers page,Why didnt you take on the promotion

Calling promotors names in public wont do you any favours,as well as make yourself look a fool

Yes you are probably right.

Have come on here this morning having posted an apology on the sms site to read your post which in the cold light of day is a fair comment.

"Firstly let me say that clearly feelings have been running very high since the decision last week, mine included. However having reviewed all my postings of the last few days I now feel that it was wrong to post them and would therefore like to apologise to those that I may have offended."

Nikko

The posts by SMS itself always allow the right of reply, we hope, from the people concerned. As an organisation we do not wish to offend and if we have made an incorrect assumption then we will make the necessary apology and correction. Our aim is to highlight the position Mildenhall have been put in and to get some transparency of the decision making at the top level of the sport that we all love. We will continue that campaign.

One thing we are not responsible for is the opinions of the individuals who post on our facebook page. It is open for all to debate the issues and to put forward their opinions. People are obviously very angry and that is hardly surprising in the circumstances. One way of countering that anger is for the whole issue to be handled in a more open and transparent manner. When you have a lack of real facts it is easy to make mistakes and to allow your anger to overcome better judgement.

As mentioned we hope all of the SMS posts allow the right of reply and that those concerned use that right of reply. And if we have made mistakes we apologise.

The campaign to raise funds and awareness of our situation will continue and I think in the current situation that will involve questioning the manner in which decisions are made in our sport.

The posts by SMS itself always allow the right of reply, we hope, from the people concerned. As an organisation we do not wish to offend and if we have made an incorrect assumption then we will make the necessary apology and correction. Our aim is to highlight the position Mildenhall have been put in and to get some transparency of the decision making at the top level of the sport that we all love. We will continue that campaign.

One thing we are not responsible for is the opinions of the individuals who post on our facebook page. It is open for all to debate the issues and to put forward their opinions. People are obviously very angry and that is hardly surprising in the circumstances. One way of countering that anger is for the whole issue to be handled in a more open and transparent manner. When you have a lack of real facts it is easy to make mistakes and to allow your anger to overcome better judgement.

As mentioned we hope all of the SMS posts allow the right of reply and that those concerned use that right of reply. And if we have made mistakes we apologise.

The campaign to raise funds and awareness of our situation will continue and I think in the current situation that will involve questioning the manner in which decisions are made in our sport.

Having also read the stuff of Facebook,i thought it was wrong but fair play for saying sorry,im sure there are moves afoot to try and get the fentigers back in the NL and until then maybe a little patience is required,at the end of the day we can all call the BSPA for various reasons but i do think that due to the recent history of the fen tigers,they have to be carefull as no one wants clubs closing mid season again

Good luck

Lets assume that the stadium and moto-x people are responsible for the fire, hay, forcing off the road etc. Do they really think getting the stadium closed down will stop this? If someone is already willing to go to these lengths, what will they do if they cost someone 100's of 1000's? Send them a box of milk tray and a bouquet of flowers?

I wish i could afford the house next door, I'd then complain day and night about the noise from their tele, I'd make a note every time their phone rang, they put the washing machine on. I'd note every time they moved their car and made noise. I'd also point out their home is blocking my view of the sun and spoiling my enjoyment of the house. I'd make their bloody life hell.

And I don't mean that about these people, I'd love to do the same to anyone who buys a house and then complains about the noise of something that was there before they were.

Having also read the stuff of Facebook,i thought it was wrong but fair play for saying sorry,im sure there are moves afoot to try and get the fentigers back in the NL and until then maybe a little patience is required,at the end of the day we can all call the BSPA for various reasons but i do think that due to the recent history of the fen tigers,they have to be carefull as no one wants clubs closing mid season again

Good luck

Well said montie... I'm sure most of whats been said is because the Fen Tiger fans are all so bitterly disappointed. All speedway fans are part of the " The big speedway family" known to stick together, but sometimes few of us get hurt. Its happened at Scunny and were back. Good luck Mildenhall!

Just to set you straight on Neil 'Nikko' Day.

He doesn't 'claim' to try and help young riders, he actually puts his money where his mouth is, year in year out. In fact, I have just come off the phone from a young riders father for whom Nikko has met half of an expensive tuning bill.

He is Mildenhall through and through and was at least partly involved in the bid to take over the team, despite the fact that he now lives well over 100 miles away. Its little wonder, then, that he got upset and angry over the circumstances of the refusal decision.

Its ridiculous to suggest that anyone being critical should take on a promotion, or that they don't have any credence if they are not prepared to do so.

I suggest you have a quick look at your contributions on the pages of this forum, because from what I have read you have very little room to suggest that anyone else makes themselves look a fool by what they post for all to read.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Thanks HalifaxTiger for the post but to be fair you have to admit when you make a mistake and I think I did.

I hope everyone now concentrates on whatever can be done to try and get the Fen Tigers back on track which at the end of the day thats what important.

Good luck to all everyone involved in the NL this season, and for anyone working on the future of the Fen Tigers.