British Speedway Forum
Steve Ribbons

Mildenhall Statement.

You can look at as many bigger pictures as you like but the way this has been done is a disgrace, Whatever decisions the bspa made im pretty sure they were not made at 9 am yesterday, why let people from mildenhall turn up to a meeting and then be told sorry you cant come in. If restrictions were put in place then anybody involved with trying to save mildenhall should have been made aware of them so that they knew what they were dealing with.

Hang on a minute if you look at the press release from ribbons he says that he knew the conditions before yesterday yet he says

he didnt agree with them so he knew before kevin set off that he wasnt going to accept the terms then comes on here bleating and looking for sympathy and you lot buy it get real :rolleyes:

Sad news indeed. My gut feeling is perhaps Mr Ribbons's previous attempts at promoting speedway have gone against him. I'm a firm believer in people being given a second chance, perhaps this is the reason for the BSPA demands and late decision? :unsure: Perhaps mildenhall is considered a higher risk than other clubs... maybe if there were more investors the BSPA would have looked at it differently? :unsure:

I dont believe the Chapmans had anything to with it the decision at all,purely gossip,you could argue that Chapman saved mildenhall that year from yet another mid season closer

Thats one way of looking at it I suppose ... but I wouldnt put that one to the vote with the majority of Mildenhall Supporters :wink:

As a Mildenhall supporter since 1976 it is not that easy to look at this latest setback objectively. However I can to some extent see the concerns of the BSPA here.

It has to be said that the last five years of our existence have been somewhat difficult and I'm sure the very sudden closure last season did nothing to endear Mildenhall with the powers that be!!. Personally rather than throwing stones on this forum surely what Mildenhall supporters and the stadium owner need to know quickly is whether this is a

personal issue between them and Mr Ribbons or with Mildenhall running under any promoter. The suggestion from Mr Ribbons that kevin Jolly would be issued a licence suggests it is the former.

Therefore with the season not needing to commence for around 3 months a more suitable partner (in BSPA eyes)for Kevin needs to be sought, maybe Dave Coventry in the interim?

After all it is the clubs sustainability that is all important here another blank season could just about finish the club, and we shouldn't lose sight of that.

Edited by PhilK

As a Mildenhall supporter since 1976 it is not that easy to look at this latest setback objectively. However I can to some extent see the concerns of the BSPA here. It has to be said that the last five years of our existence have been somewhat difficult and I'm sure the very sudde

n closure last season did nothing to endear Mildenhall with the powers that be!!. Personally rather than throwing stones on this forum surely what Mildenhall supporters and the stadium owner need to know quickly is whether this is a

personal issue between them and Mr Ribbons or with Mildenhall running under any promoter. The suggestion from Mr Ribbons that kevin Jolly would be issued a licence suggests it is the former.

Therefore with the season not needing to commence for around 3 months a more suitable partner (in BSPA eyes)for Kevin

needs to be sought, maybe Dave Coventry in the interim?

After all it is the clubs sustainability that is all important here another blank season could just about finish the club, and we shouldn't lose sight of that.

could this be the answer? " another more suitable partener" for kevin jolly. sounds good to me and maybe just the solution needed to save the club

Thats one way of looking at it I suppose ... but I wouldnt put that one to the vote with the majority of Mildenhall Supporters :wink:

And whilst I'm certainly not the biggest fan of Jonathan Chapman and how he goes about things, I have no particular problem with him, and unless there is actually evidence or confirmation that the Chapmans ergo King's Lynn were actively involved in creating a problem in the current situation, perhaps it would be better not to mention it? Don't forget, several people involved in Mildenhall are King's Lynn fans, myself included, and it does get annoying to see King's Lynn dragged into everything without proof. If it's fact that the Chapman's were involved, I take that back, but I've seen no evidence of this so far.

And for the record, yes, I'm a Lynn fan, but I'd love to see Mildenhall return, and I would attend semi-regularly once again and thoroughly enjoy it as I have done in previous years.

PS, not aiming this at you mummycaz, just at all the previous comments on the thread.

Its now the day after the decision to exclude Mildenhall from the National League and I’ve found out some more regarding what went on in rugby.

Kevin (Jolly) went to the meeting (at Peter Morrish’s request) and he and I had agreed to agree the conditions set beforehand and to get the BSPA to put into writing just what we were paying for. - and what benefits (assets) came with any proposed licence. Whilst waiting to go into the meeting he was told that Mildenhall had lost a secret vote to be admitted to the league.

As to the finance of the promotion, which has been a matter of conjecture on this forum I say they (the BSPA) didn’t even ask me, in fact they haven’t asked me anything about Mildenhall! BUT, I will tell you, because I want you to get this straight, I did not go into this knowing I could not afford it. I have had two speedway’s taken off me before so did you think I was going to open up myself to that a third time? I have a business which turned over £238,000 last year and I have just sold a property so I have also £171,000 sitting in the bank. I say this not to look flash but just to put any doubts at rest; of course the BSPA wouldn’t know that because they wouldn’t speak to me!!!

Some of the promotional ideas I had included in my plan were, - team race suits harking back to the old days with the tiger stripes and tassels,- a supporters loyalty card where you pay for the first ten meetings and then get one free entrance,- a rolling one and a half for half school giveaway where the child pays to get in but mummy or daddy (who pays the bills anyway) get in for nothing,- a 30 meter long banner round the top bend hanging on the acoustic fence saying “West Row – Home of the fen Tigers” (to drive home the message that we were back) - free team poster give away- free whistles give away- and free chequered flags give away, - a weekend tour of Denmark through Team Viking for the fen tigers- re-starting the Anglia junior league,- we had agreed to a tie up with Ipswich to become their feeder club,- and one I’m particularly proud off, - a “60 second mayhem” whereby if we got a 5-1 in heat 15 everybody could get chips and a free coke or two chips for one etc. (which would round off the meeting nicely!) So I was going to be very busy while Kevin (Jolly) got on with running the meeting properly

So Iris 123, or Doug, its easy to sit behind a screen and criticise but try putting in some work and you’ll soon see how let down you feel when you’ve done all the work and then to be told no, with no reason or negotiation, it just smacks of pettiness and vindictiveness.

I say all this without reservation because I know the facts to be true. As to Mildenhall speedway, I don’t know now as all my enthusiasm has washed away.

Steve Ribbons.

And if i was runnig it id of given everyone who attended a free car but i havent got it neither have you so why tell everyone what you would have given them if you had won it. Seems it would have been beter to have kept your gob shut and worked the problem with the BSPA as your so whiter than white :rolleyes:

The statement was only made after the decision had been taken. I think it's about time some of the details of what goes on at BSPA Towers is made public.

I know and have already dealt with this point.Either you haven't read through the thread or you fail to understand i would guess it is past history and possibly personal fueds that has caused this :rolleyes:

And as mentioned there are plenty of people directly involved in the sport that do take time out to post on here. There's no reason he should be treated any differently in that regard. :unsure:

Again see previous post as i have dealt with this point as well :blink:

And if i was runnig it id of given everyone who attended a free car but i havent got it neither have you so why tell everyone what you would have given them if you had won it. Seems it would have been beter to have kept your gob shut and worked the problem with the BSPA as your so whiter than white :rolleyes:

LOL - this makes me laugh.

I don't know frosylion nor do I know Steve Ribbon or anything about he Mildenhall problem.

But what I do know is that we have person after person complaining on the 100's of Peterboro / Coventry threads complaining that no one is telling them anything and they should be more open.

Then you get Steve Ribbon putting his side of his story and he gets slated.

Funny old worldrolleyes.gif

one I’m particularly proud off, - a “60 second mayhem” whereby if we got a 5-1 in heat 15 everybody could get chips and a free coke or two chips for one etc.

Chippy chips!!!

LOL - this makes me laugh.

I don't know frosylion nor do I know Steve Ribbon or anything about he Mildenhall problem.

But what I do know is that we have person after person complaining on the 100's of Peterboro / Coventry threads complaining that no one is telling them anything and they should be more open.

Then you get Steve Ribbon putting his side of his story and he gets slated.

Funny old worldrolleyes.gif

Why is it a funny old world when you get maybe two sets of people with differing opinions? :blink:

It's a funny old world presumably when people on the Peterborough/Coventry threads are saying the decisions were democratic,but are on here complaining about a decision made democratically :blink:

Don't see the funny side of it at all when people have different opinions.That is how the world is supposed to be in a healthy democratic society

Democracy?

Just a thought.

Kings Lynn are the blue eyed boys of speedway at the moment, having bailed the BSPA out of the cart in the Elite League.

If Kings Lynn say Mildy dont run.............then Mildy dont run.

Over the recent weeks, the sport has been full of conspiracy theories......maybe I am seeing them where they dont exist........but something smells rotten.

and what a crap post this is... have you read any of this tread..... This thread is running because the bspa kept changing demands along the way and would not be open on what they were doing. All demands were seen too and Kevin was asked to go to the meeting.... why couldnt the vote been done over the phone so Kevin didnt waiste his time and money. As for the free bees, there is no point going into a venture like this without working out to promote and encourage the fans into the stadium. There was no winning involved as the bspa didnt give any reason or mention that there would be a problem of Mildenhall running other than money which is in place.. If Steve had of waited for the bspa then Steve and Kevin would of been rushed off their feet trying to get things sorted. As it stood before the meeting, it was just the team picking that needed doing.

Why is it a funny old world when you get maybe two sets of people with differing opinions? :blink:

It's a funny old world presumably when people on the Peterborough/Coventry threads are saying the decisions were democratic,but are on here complaining about a decision made democratically :blink:

Don't see the funny side of it at all when people have different opinions.That is how the world is supposed to be in a healthy democratic society

How could this be a DEMOCRATIC vote if the full facts were not on the table infront of all the promotors ...

EVEN THE BSPA DIDNT GET ALL THE FACTS!!!!!!

I think the difference is that Coventry/Peterborough are merely being asked to comply to legislation that will apply to the rest of the league.

Mildenhall are being asked to comply to conditions that certainly seem to be set out for them and them alone.

I wonder if Hackney Hawks or Stoke Potters (or any other new club for that matter)have been asked for a 'league membership' or 'promotional rights' fee. :unsure: