British Speedway Forum
Steve Ribbons

Mildenhall Statement.

Absolutely gutted at the news.

We enjoy our little jaunts to Mildenhall, a nice afternoon out, usually a sunny afternoon and a chance to watch the up and coming riders coming through.

With this decision, there is now nowhere to get my National league speedway fix without significant driving...something which just isn't possible either financially or time wise.

Maybe i'm being a tad suspicious but it seems to me that the bspa never had any intention of letting steve ribbons be a promoter at mildenhall so came up with the idea of asking for these ludicrous payments in a hope that it would put him off. When steve agreed to pay all these fees the bspa panicked and thought up the idea of a secret ballot!!

Did a ballot actually take place or did they just say it did, but i doubt we will ever know the truth to that!!

Like others have said on here if they didn't want steve ribbons running mildenhall then why didn't they say so earlier so that dave coventry had time to find someone else to run it instead.

A Secret vote! Incredible this is supposed to be a professionally run sport, not the Masons! Although thinking about it ......... :blink:

Absolutely Phil - the similarity you mention was not lost on me either - except that the Masons look after their own, dont they?! I thought Mildenhall and all associated with the club were 'part of the Speedway family'.

It seems Mildenhall dont exactly have too many friends within the sport right now.

Why on earth the apparent need to shaft the club by way of secret ballot?!

The way the sport is run has chipped away at my enthusiasm over the years and made me a much less frequent visitor to tracks than I was a few years back. However, this is the final straw for me - the way I feel right now, I have no enthusiasm to devote either time nor money to attend another Speedway meeting. I'm done with the sport and its silly 'secret society' attitudes.

Edited by neil3065

So sorry for the Mildenhall fans. It would seem that the potential promoter has been treated differently to other potential promoters and indeed other, past new promoters. I don't know steve ribbons, but I'd assume that he has incurred some costs thus far. Mr Jolly certainly has on a completely wasted journey to rugby alone...

Thank you bspa,,,are they in the business of PROMOTING Speedway or in CLOSING DOWN Speedway in Britain??

Apparently yes

First of all my sympathies lie with the Fen Tigers' fans here but I'm also very sorry that a good friend of mine in the form of Steve has been once more slapped in the face by the BSPA.

Steve's an honest guy and a genuine enthusiast who cares for the sport so perhaps it's just as well that he isn't getting involved with the BSPA.

Not for the first time on this forum iris123 and Blazeaway have made postings that are beneath contempt. There is a heck of a lot more to that Wimbledon story than they think they know and it's not printable here. Yes that first meeting at Plough Lane should have been called-off. The plan to lay and lift the track was a tried and proved concept but sadly didn't work on the opening night. Enthusiasm to get the place open overcame what should have been a postponed meeting.

It was Steve getting up and forming the nomadic 1999 Rye House Rockets that not only saw Rye House Speedway re-open but also gave inspiration to similar moves at Middlesbrough, Scunthorpe and Weymouth. In the case of Wimbledon it was Steve who persauaded the GRA to allow speedway back in when many others had tried and failed.

There was significant opposition to the Rye House revival and some quite offensive comments were reported to me as emanating from a key player in the current situation so I'm not really that surprised at the outcome of this year's plan.

Blazeaway and iris123 need to consider that someone had the guts, determination and caring to get their beloved Dons reopened and not to make typically unhelpful, cynical and contemptible postings while cowardly hiding behind false names. Sadly the nature of the net allows anonymity which most people don't abuse. Sadly some do, to everybody's loss.

I look forward to seeing Mildenhall speedway reopen and feel very sad that a chance has not been given for Steve to get a fair chance to show what he can bring to the sport.

Speedway is going through a shocking period though and we have to hope that those responsible for it will go and inflict playing their unpleasant power games on a far less deserving sport.

Rob McCaffery.

Rob you and i have often disagreed, but i absolutely agree with your every word on this one

Chris Gosling

Edited by Canadian Star

Without getting into the politics of what has happened this week I would like to make 2 points:

1) Everyone seems to have forgotton that the catalyst for last years problems, which it seems have still been a factor in this weeks decision, was the death of a very fine person and life long Fen Tigers and speedway fan. This was an exceptional circumstance. In hindsight everyone can say things should and could have been dealt with differently, and they could have been, but unless you are in that situation I suggest it is wrong to judge. Personally I can understand that the other Chairman may have been nervous about Mildenhall after what happened last season but as per the above, they were exceptional circumstances.

2)My second point is that, as my wife has told me numerous times over the last 3 days, my phone has not stopped ringing, and my emails are blocked with people wanting to know how they can help. The hardcore support for Mildenhall is exceptional as is shown by the SMS, by the people who year in year out find hard earned money to help sponsor the riders, by the fans who spent vasts amount of money following the Fen Tigers away. People have commented recently that Mildenhall over the last 5 or so years always seem to have had problems and I remember someone writing that it would be best if they just stayed shut. Well for teh moment the governing body and other NL Chairmen seem to agree with that statement but if they heard the calls I have taken over the last 3 days, read the emails I have received etc they would know that there are alot of people who believe that a professionally run Mildenhall Fen Tigers would be an asset to National League.

Young British riders need as much opportunity to race in proper meetings as possible if they are to progress. To help ensure this happens we should be encouraging tracks to enter the NL, not turning them away.

We now have Mildenhall, Weymouth, Peterborough, Iwade/Sittingbourne, Coventry, Lydd all with tracks and no teams !!

Where are the future young British riders going to learn their trade?

Nikko

First of all my sympathies lie with the Fen Tigers' fans here but I'm also very sorry that a good friend of mine in the form of Steve has been once more slapped in the face by the BSPA.

Steve's an honest guy and a genuine enthusiast who cares for the sport so perhaps it's just as well that he isn't getting involved with the BSPA.

Not for the first time on this forum iris123 and Blazeaway have made postings that are beneath contempt. There is a heck of a lot more to that Wimbledon story than they think they know and it's not printable here. Yes that first meeting at Plough Lane should have been called-off. The plan to lay and lift the track was a tried and proved concept but sadly didn't work on the opening night. Enthusiasm to get the place open overcame what should have been a postponed meeting.

It was Steve getting up and forming the nomadic 1999 Rye House Rockets that not only saw Rye House Speedway re-open but also gave inspiration to similar moves at Middlesbrough, Scunthorpe and Weymouth. In the case of Wimbledon it was Steve who persauaded the GRA to allow speedway back in when many others had tried and failed.

There was significant opposition to the Rye House revival and some quite offensive comments were reported to me as emanating from a key player in the current situation so I'm not really that surprised at the outcome of this year's plan.

Blazeaway and iris123 need to consider that someone had the guts, determination and caring to get their beloved Dons reopened and not to make typically unhelpful, cynical and contemptible postings while cowardly hiding behind false names. Sadly the nature of the net allows anonymity which most people don't abuse. Sadly some do, to everybody's loss.

I look forward to seeing Mildenhall speedway reopen and feel very sad that a chance has not been given for Steve to get a fair chance to show what he can bring to the sport.

Speedway is going through a shocking period though and we have to hope that those responsible for it will go and inflict playing their unpleasant power games on a far less deserving sport.

Rob McCaffery.

Roughly translated as "you can post behind an alias just as long as you don't have a go at one of my mates"

Your defence of a mate is understandable but I saw what went on at Wimbledon. It was a farce from start to finish under Ribbons. The press and practice day was a disaster, as you say opening night should have been called off and in my opinion did more to damage to the reopening than anything else that subsequently occured.

Anyone remember the Conference League riders semi that we had? A white line being painted on the third bend so riders could avoid a huge hole which had appeared. The track was never fit to race on it was bumpy incosistent and downright dangerous.

Then we had the famous "meeting" against Boston. Cracker that one wasn't it?

Whilst Steve may be applauded for bringing speedway back to Plough Lane, his whole concept seemed rather pie in the sky and poorly planned. You say there is a heck of a lot more to what went on at Wimbledon and there may well be. But I'm commenting on what I saw with my own eyes and if that doesn't fit your old pals act then tough.

James Turner (does that make my post ok as I have used a name which may or may not be mine) :rolleyes:

I have had a soft spot for Mildenhall Speedway since I evenetually discovered its whereabouts almost 30 years ago.

I worked for the Club in 1989, 1992 and from 1994 to 2000 when I eventually moved on to try and develop another club which eventually ended in failure due to some seriously biased council decisions in Lincolnshire.

Since then I have had posts at Scunthorpe and presently at Stoke.

Throughout all of this time I have continued to visit Mildenhall whenever I could and was always keen for them to do well (except against my own Club) and have many friends at West Row who I know will be desperately disappointed by the present situation. I have always joked that it is to Mildenhall that I will return when my speedway actviities eleswhere are finished.

I am not able to comment on what has happened, as a Team Manager these days I am not able to attend the meetings at Rugby and have no idea what was discussed there.

Howvever, I wish to express my sincere disappointment for all the supporters at Mildenhall and all the frineds that I have made there over the years and I hope that someday the Fen Tigers will return. I will miss your greetings when I walked around the terraces to eat the most tasty food in speedway from the Fish Shop. I know the great community spirit at Mildenhall ahving travelled at times on your coaches and I am very sad at the present plight of the Club.

The sport is never quite the same for me when Mildenhall are not involved soemwhere.

Let's hope that soemething better than this will occur in the future.

Malcolm Vasey

As a speedway fan at Scunny and being on the recieving end of closures ( Quibel Park and Ashbyville ) I fully understand about all the texts and phonecalls being recieved by Nikko, and I can well imagine whats being said. I really feel sorry for the fans, Mildenhall do appear to have a large amount of dedicated followers. Very sad to read Mr Vaseys post too. Heres hoping that very soon something good happens to ensure Mildenhall comes back into the league.....GOOD LUCK MILDENHALL !

Rob McCaffery.

Rob McCaffery.

Rob McCaffery.

Eh? :blink:

Yet again a very sad state of affairs as regards to Mildenhall speedway!

I can understand the BSPA having reservations about Steve Ribbons because his previous record in speedway promotions is not good and he rubs everyone up the wrong way, hence the very low opinion most have of him, but British speedway would be better with more tracks and that should be the BSPA's main aim, surely?

I learnt a few years back that when Steve Ribbons gets involved in anything to do with speedway, normally things at some point will go t its up which is what I thought would happen with his recent interest in Mildenhall, but he has a point this time. Its ridiculous that Mildenhall have to pay a fee to ensure their NL membership when other tracks in the same League don't!

Last years unnecessary (unnecessary in that the reasons given for the closure were b oll ocks and things could have been sorted) mid season closure at West Row has had the knock on effect that in future getting speedway re established their will be difficult as its now proving!

The head of last years failed promotion, Ray Mascall is nothing to do with this winters attempts to reopen Mildenhall and neither is his righthandman John Adams. Indeed I'm led to believe that when Ray Mascall pulled the plug he lost the £5000 bond he had to put up when opening last season!

Mildenhall speedway is viable at 3rd tier level if ran properly. Ray Mascalls fiasco making of last year shouldn't have any bearing on any future attempts to reopen Mildenhall speedway.

Likewise if the BSPA don't want Steve Ribbons involved in any speedway promotion, then they should make this very clear to allow a path to be cleared so that Mildenhall could be allowed to reopen. It seems to me that insisting the Ribbons promotion pay a ludicrous membership fee that no other NL team has to pay and that he justifiably refuses too, is just a backdoor way of ensuring Mr Ribbons doesn't achieve his dreams of being a promoter!

I've been going to speedway a long time, have stayed loyal to the sport despite losing my team (Norwich Stars) 46 and a bit years ago and having to put up with years of mismanagement and deteriation but this winter I can fully understand why many thousands of people have turned their back on the sport. Speedway can still be a great sport if it was organised better!

Like many have said this winter, its about time that an independent governing body is created to oversee speedway with totally the best interests of the sport at heart and has no "my" track motivated ulterior motives that presently occur in the old boys network/masons like organisation that calls itself the BSPA!

Ah yes! Steve Ribbons. Viva Espana! :rolleyes:

Edited by speedyguy

Ah yes! Steve Ribbons. Viva Espana! :rolleyes:

Ouch! :lol:

This is what the BSPA says on its statement in regard to the 2011 National League - quite clear - No Mildenhall!

NATIONAL LEAGUE NEWS

WEDNESDAY JANUARY 26, 2011

SPEEDWAY'S third tier will have a minimum of eight clubs competing next season.

And there is a possibility that number could be up to 10 when the deadline for membership passes next Monday, January 31.

Stoke Potters have been accepted into the league after switching from the Premier League and there's an exciting new venture featuring the famous old Hackney Hawks sharing Rye House and Lakeside as a home base.

Of last season's clubs Mildenhall, Weymouth and Bournemouth will not be racing.

The points limit for team building purposes has been set at 40.

Further details, including the final National League line-up and competition format, will be released next Tuesday, February 1.