British Speedway Forum
Steve Ribbons

Mildenhall Statement.

It really is time that someone sought a meeting with the ACU and nailed down exactly whether they approve of what's going on in speedway this winter. If they are aware of what's transipred I can't believe for a second they're happy. Of course, it could be that they're so giddy with glee at the way things are run that they can afford to be nonchalant about the enforced loss of 3 tracks this winter...

You have to be kidding, the ACU collect a few quid from Speedway and their interest ends.

Without getting into the politics of what has happened this week I would like to make 2 points:

1) Everyone seems to have forgotton that the catalyst for last years problems, which it seems have still been a factor in this weeks decision, was the death of a very fine person and life long Fen Tigers and speedway fan. This was an exceptional circumstance. In hindsight everyone can say things should and could have been dealt with differently, and they could have been, but unless you are in that situation I suggest it is wrong to judge. Personally I can understand that the other Chairman may have been nervous about Mildenhall after what happened last season but as per the above, they were exceptional circumstances.

2)My second point is that, as my wife has told me numerous times over the last 3 days, my phone has not stopped ringing, and my emails are blocked with people wanting to know how they can help. The hardcore support for Mildenhall is exceptional as is shown by the SMS, by the people who year in year out find hard earned money to help sponsor the riders, by the fans who spent vasts amount of money following the Fen Tigers away. People have commented recently that Mildenhall over the last 5 or so years always seem to have had problems and I remember someone writing that it would be best if they just stayed shut. Well for teh moment the governing body and other NL Chairmen seem to agree with that statement but if they heard the calls I have taken over the last 3 days, read the emails I have received etc they would know that there are alot of people who believe that a professionally run Mildenhall Fen Tigers would be an asset to National League.

Young British riders need as much opportunity to race in proper meetings as possible if they are to progress. To help ensure this happens we should be encouraging tracks to enter the NL, not turning them away.

We now have Mildenhall, Weymouth, Peterborough, Iwade/Sittingbourne, Coventry, Lydd all with tracks and no teams !!

Where are the future young British riders going to learn their trade?

Nikko

After going through thousands of words, differences of opinion, etc; etc; on this forum - I am still somewhat confused as to who / what was the final straw in terms of Mildenhalls aborted / refused / withdrawn entry into the NL for 2011.

It would appear from what I've read, on the lines, and between them, that Steve Ribbons was not acceptable to the BSPA as a potential Promoter for whatever reason - please correct me someone if I'm wrong about this or any of the following.

WAS THIS A / THE REASON ??

It would appear that Kevin Jolly was possibly seen differently, but with Kevin quite possibly not being involved in Speedway since being a Rider, in any Official capacity anyway, perhaps one could understand hesitancy on the part of the BSPA there in terms of a Promotional spearhead.

In terms of financial input required by the BSPA for any 'new' promotion at Mildenhall, bearing in mind previous and recent history (which had to be considered), I would have thought the financial requests were reasonable, as quoted/stated, and to be expected.

Therefore - WAS IT FINANCIAL / PERSONAL ?? - OR BOTH ??

It leaves me only to say that:- 'talk is always cheap' - 'action is often expensive' .......... and can be expected in every situation and all walks of life.

Because you lot moan about 'no one promotes the sport anymore' I thought I'd be honest and tell everyone that I had planned to do something about it! But then you Slag me off!!

What a sad and twisted individual you are.....

Talking about yourself are you ? :rolleyes:

A Secret vote! Incredible this is supposed to be a professionally run sport, not the Masons! Although thinking about it ......... :blink:

speedway is run by a bunch of amateur who could not run the drinks party in a brewery :D

Edited by bw double

It is human nature to try and fill in the gaps when there is little or no information forthcoming. I found this forum by accident thankfully and now have some information about why I will not be able to visit West Row with 3 generations of my family this Summer to watch my favourite sport. Thank you Mr Ribbons, Nikko, Simon etc for being open and honest but I, along with many, many others, am gutted at the way things have panned out. If the BSPA wish to quell rumours etc they should put more than one poxy little line about Mildenhall not racing next season which is frankly an insult to us Fen Tigers fans.

The internet is a form of communication these days and a medium the BSPA should perhaps seek to use better, if only to stop speculation, otherwise, they will face a back-lash and assumptions being made.

Frankly, I don't care about history, personal grudges etc. If speedway clubs and the organisation as a whole are to be run profitably and professionally, it needs to be managed fairly, openly and with integrity or it will fail. Each case should be judged on it's individual merits and the people involved kept informed and given a fair right to put forward proposals be told clearly of any concerns, with time to respond and the chance to amend things if needed - fans included, who, at the end of the day, pay for the whole thing.

It is human nature to try and fill in the gaps when there is little or no information forthcoming. I found this forum by accident thankfully and now have some information about why I will not be able to visit West Row with 3 generations of my family this Summer to watch my favourite sport. Thank you Mr Ribbons, Nikko, Simon etc for being open and honest but I, along with many, many others, am gutted at the way things have panned out. If the BSPA wish to quell rumours etc they should put more than one poxy little line about Mildenhall not racing next season which is frankly an insult to us Fen Tigers fans.

The internet is a form of communication these days and a medium the BSPA should perhaps seek to use better, if only to stop speculation, otherwise, they will face a back-lash and assumptions being made.

Frankly, I don't care about history, personal grudges etc. If speedway clubs and the organisation as a whole are to be run profitably and professionally, it needs to be managed fairly, openly and with integrity or it will fail. Each case should be judged on it's individual merits and the people involved kept informed and given a fair right to put forward proposals be told clearly of any concerns, with time to respond and the chance to amend things if needed - fans included, who, at the end of the day, pay for the whole thing.

don't hold your breath, but welcome to the forum anyway. :)

Edited by cityrebel

Well it's another Ipswich fan who's gutted that Mildenhall are not running this year.

For what it's worth I thought Steve Ribbons had some great ideas for promoting at Mildenhall and the proposed link up with Ipswich and the Anglian League for the youngsters was kist what was needed to help bring on the Brits.

Steve - as fans is there anything at all we could do that would help to get this going again, or is it well and truly over for Mildenhall this year? :(

Has censorship struck! I am certain that 20 minutes ago from the time of this message there was a response from Steve Ribbons to various matters. Now it's gone. I cannot say I am surprised after reading some of the comments made in it. I even posted a small reply, which I have just taken down as it's not needed - there's nothing to reply to! :rolleyes:

Edited by speedyguy

Has censorship struck! I am certain that 20 minutes ago from the time of this message there was a response from Steve Ribbons to various matters. Now it's gone. I cannot say I am surprised after reading some of the comments made in it. I even posted a small reply, which I have just taken down as it's not needed - there's nothing to reply to! :rolleyes:

i read it as well. there was some pretty hot stuff in that post! :shock:

It would seem that you were the one complaining..... and so the moderators have removed my post...you can dish it out but you obviously cant take it!!!!!!!!

I also read it (2 or 3 times) before it disapeared, do you think a mod might have removed it because of the posts content? :D

I also read it (2 or 3 times) before it disapeared, do you think a mod might have removed it because of the posts content? :D

I too read the post and its obvious, and totally understandable, that feelings are running very high at the moment.

Although not one to condone mods removing posts, I do think for the good of the name of Mildenhall Fen Tigers and any possible future it may have that we all conduct ourselves in a professional manner.

Personal attacks, and Steve Ribbons has had them on this forum, are not accetable and I would hope when things calm down that Steve himself will agree that removing the post was not such a bad thing.

We need to move on from the mudslinging, no matter how hard that is, and work towards bringing the great Fen Tigers fans their team back.

Nikko

Edited by Nikko

PLEASE DO NOT POST LIBELOUS COMMENTS!!!!!

Steven Ribbons you have a PM explain why it was requested to be removed.

Also correct your email address or PM it to me.