British Speedway Forum
Druid

Matt Brightens The Troops

One member of HM British Forces is proudly wearing the colours of the Poole Castle Cover Pirates when out of uniform in Camp Bastion thanks to the generosity of Poole boss Matt Ford. SAC David Andrews, who is serving in Afghanistan, contacted the club explaining that life was getting him down on the front line having spent Christmas and his birthday on duty. In a message to this website David claimed "everyone out here lives football and all that and I don't. My love is speedway and it never gets shown on TV out here - I just cant wait to get home and watch the new season". In response Poole owner Matt Ford quickly arranged to send out a club shirt for David and a batch of Poole Speedway caps for his squadron mates and invited David to attend Poole speedway as a special guest once his tour of duty is accomplished. Matt said "I have the upmost respect for everyone serving in our Forces and I was touched when I read David's message. British Speedway held a Special Forces week last season and it was good to do something to support the troops. It's good to see David already wearing the Poole shirt and cap and lets hope he can persuade his colleagues to follow speedway more."

Taken from Poole speedway website

At least SOMEBODY gets something right in Speedway. :approve::approve::approve:

WELL DONE!! Mr. Ford. :approve::approve:

Thats harsh, making them wear speedway merchandise :o I bet he's knitting him a nice jumper now and arranging a nice wulfsport coat to be sent out to him. :P

Could be worse, if he walked around Afghanistan in a Brummies jacket, the Taliban would see him from miles away!!

Well done to Matt Ford.

Regardless of club allegences, the message the deed portrays is what matters and most posters here see it that way.

The military of all nations and speedway riders share some common ground.

The jobs they do can have consequences on their families and future lives.

Hope we have another 'Armed Forces Day' in 2011.

Well done Matt Ford and any other person who susequently recognises respect for those who may not be in the comfort zone we currently are.

Credit where credit is due. It is a nice gesture from Matt Ford.

There is also a Poole Pirates scarf in the Riveria Hotel in Las Vegas, Matt Ford spreading the word everywhere??!

One member of HM British Forces is proudly wearing the colours of the Poole Castle Cover Pirates when out of uniform in Camp Bastion thanks to the generosity of Poole boss Matt Ford. SAC David Andrews, who is serving in Afghanistan, contacted the club explaining that life was getting him down on the front line having spent Christmas and his birthday on duty. In a message to this website David claimed "everyone out here lives football and all that and I don't. My love is speedway and it never gets shown on TV out here - I just cant wait to get home and watch the new season". In response Poole owner Matt Ford quickly arranged to send out a club shirt for David and a batch of Poole Speedway caps for his squadron mates and invited David to attend Poole speedway as a special guest once his tour of duty is accomplished. Matt said "I have the upmost respect for everyone serving in our Forces and I was touched when I read David's message. British Speedway held a Special Forces week last season and it was good to do something to support the troops. It's good to see David already wearing the Poole shirt and cap and lets hope he can persuade his colleagues to follow speedway more."

Taken from Poole speedway website

You would have thought that if he was missing Speedway so much,that Matt would have sent him a DVD of this years Play-Off final. :wink: I would imagine he would have the odd few hundred lying around. :lol: