British Speedway Forum
vog

Hackney Hawks

Are you really going to stand on the Rye terraces shouting "Come on you Hawks"!!! :blink:

You remember the "Ronnie" days Shads back in the late 80's when Hackney were our biggest rivals like Kings Lynn have been during the last 5 years. I couldnt stand them (particularly Andy Galvin :wink: ). Theres no way Im going to start supporting them now..........and as for buying Hawks clothing, programme board etc - Im ashamed of you! :D

Sorry but can only ever support Rye House. May watch the odd one out of interest but wont be attending many. Shame. :(

me neither. although i was a dons fan i was a regular at waterden road from 1970 to 1996. the idea of defunct clubs riding at current tracks don't do a lot for me.

Nomadic teams using some other teams tracks is not ideal but in the case of Redcar, Rye House, Scunthorpe and possibly others this method is often a prelude to speedway returning to an area where it was closed down in the past!

Lets hope that this Hackney project does well and end up returning to their own stamping ground when after the Olympics have finished!

Nomadic teams using some other teams tracks is not ideal but in the case of Redcar, Rye House, Scunthorpe and possibly others this method is often a prelude to speedway returning to an area where it was closed down in the past!

Lets hope that this Hackney project does well and end up returning to their own stamping ground when after the Olympics have finished!

i think dudley got it right by not using the cradley name. letting clubs enter the league that closed down years ago don't seem right to me. east london hawks or stratford kestrels look much better. :wink:

Are you really going to stand on the Rye terraces shouting "Come on you Hawks"!!! :blink:

You remember the "Ronnie" days Shads back in the late 80's when Hackney were our biggest rivals like Kings Lynn have been during the last 5 years. I couldnt stand them (particularly Andy Galvin :wink: ). Theres no way Im going to start supporting them now..........and as for buying Hawks clothing, programme board etc - Im ashamed of you! :D

Sorry but can only ever support Rye House. May watch the odd one out of interest but wont be attending many. Shame. :(

You're confusing the Kestrels and the Hawks. The Rockets never rode against the Hawks other than inter-league challenges. Len Silver ran the Hawks and the Rockets. Terry Rusell and Dave Pavitt ran the Kestrels after Len had pulled out. I would imagine there are a few Hawks fans who now class Rye as their team but your first love never dies. Hawks forever! Kestrels just filled the void.

You're confusing the Kestrels and the Hawks. The Rockets never rode against the Hawks other than inter-league challenges. Len Silver ran the Hawks and the Rockets. Terry Rusell and Dave Pavitt ran the Kestrels after Len had pulled out. I would imagine there are a few Hawks fans who now class Rye as their team but your first love never dies. Hawks forever! Kestrels just filled the void.

rye rode against hackney at hoddesdon in 1977 in the inter league cup. the hawks nicked the win 39-38! :shock:

Agree with the sentiments Fiala.I wish them well but wouldn't pay to watch them They have been the enemy since I started watching speedway and as such will remain so. I do hope that they are not involved in a PL/NL double header thus increasing the price as I would be reluctant to part with the extra cash for such meetings.

Hackney is Hackney no matter what spin you put on to the nickname

Hated at Rye simple

Edited by westhamboy66

Hackney is Hackney no matter what spin you put on to the nickname

Hated at Rye simple

This is a Rye House / Lakeside team for gods sake the riders will be in the main Rye or Lakeside assets ,the name used to describe this team is of minimal importance.I really dont get this HATE bit....

Agree with the sentiments Fiala.I wish them well but wouldn't pay to watch them They have been the enemy since I started watching speedway and as such will remain so. I do hope that they are not involved in a PL/NL double header thus increasing the price as I would be reluctant to part with the extra cash for such meetings.

i agree. when i first heard the news i thought that's ten less meetings i will be doing at rye this year.

This is a Rye House / Lakeside team for gods sake the riders will be in the main Rye or Lakeside assets ,the name used to describe this team is of minimal importance.I really dont get this HATE bit....

I don't either! :rolleyes:

it's not an anti hackney thing for me. i'd feel the same way if a rayleigh team was riding at rye or west ham at arena. i'm just not a fan of nomadic teams riding in proper leagues. i guess i'm just old fashioned. :rolleyes:

dont think theres much chance of that .. the olympics dosen't have any form of motorised sport involved and wouldnt have a motorsports licence anywhere on the site ... when the olympics goes the area wouldn't get a motorsports license being the olympic village is on the site and no otehr motorised sports are there, and the village will be used for housing when the competitors leave . far too built up an area and the nimbys will object as soon as a wheel is turned sadly.

may get the one off "london GP" each year added to the calender or may even be the "english GP" a chance to add another round to the worlds is far more possible than a team returning to the area.

dont think theres much chance of that .. the olympics dosen't have any form of motorised sport involved and wouldnt have a motorsports licence anywhere on the site ... when the olympics goes the area wouldn't get a motorsports license being the olympic village is on the site and no otehr motorised sports are there, and the village will be used for housing when the competitors leave . far too built up an area and the nimbys will object as soon as a wheel is turned sadly.

may get the one off "london GP" each year added to the calender or may even be the "english GP" a chance to add another round to the worlds is far more possible than a team returning to the area.

Lord Bryn thinks otherwise...

Lord Bryn thinks otherwise...

Do I? :blink:

Whether or not speedway does find a place somewhere on the site remains to be seen post-Olympics but I do know there are parties keen to try and persuade the relevant authorities that it should be so. I wish them well in their efforts! :wink:

P.S. I've received nothing from Bucky Palace so would be interested to learn where you heard of me being made a Lord! :lol: What expenses am I entitled to claim? :P

Edited by Bryn

I have to agree with all that Sean and i dont think that was a major consideration in the forming of this joint venture.More likely financial,with less meetings for Rye to have to fit in, and more for Lakeside to fill in weeks, and give more continuity to their programme..Plus both outfits are looking to bring on British youngsters to ocupy team berths at both tracks And as such both promotions are to be commended for their forward looking plans....It has to be hoped they will get the support they deserve..?