British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 42

Issue 42 has just gone to press. Full details to appear soon, but just to whet your appetite...

It includes a nice four-page piece on the Pusey brothers, Chris and Geoff, including a new interview with the younger of the Polka Dot Kids.

Plus in-depth interviews with Richard Green,very much a marked man in the NL era, and part 2 of our chat with Peter Adams.

Also . . . Bernard Crapper tribute, Ernst Bogh, Geoff Bouchard.

And John Berry's Top 20 Foreigners of the 80s. So who do you reckon came out on top? Let the debate begin, or is it cut and dried?

Not forgetting Bruce Penhall's opinions on his main rivals in the 80s.

Or Simmo, reminiscing about the Golden Helmet and why he thinks it should be brought back, and the World Pairs.

Thanks Tony, looking forward to this one, I'm sure I will enjoy reading the article on Chris (RIP) & Geoff, I wonder if Geoff will mention the Leicester incident @ Hyde Rd in 73(?), I was 13 at the time but if I close my eyes I can still see him jumping the fence from the riders viewing area and piling in along a good few other riders. It was the first and last proper brawl I saw at a speedway track.

Other than that I have many memories of watching them both ride, mainly Chris, he was always good value for money and seemed to be able to team ride with any of his team mates. He was also always happy to sign my autograph books.

Keep up the good work with Backtrack, I have subscribed from the start and have no plans to stop.

Please pass my regards to Suzie, always helpful when I have ordered books or DVDs.

Very much doubt Geoff will mention Belle Vue v Leicester as he wasn't riding. That infamous meeting took place in 1971 when Geoff was still at Long Eaton.

I had the privilege of interviewing him a few months back for the third issue of "Trackin' Down" (interviews with ex-Long Eaton riders which raises money for injured ex-riders) and he is - as he always was - the complete gentleman.

I will look forward to Issue 42 of Backtrack with renewed vigour knowing one of my favourites is in it and I'm sure he'll prove to be a very popular read for many fans.

Incidentally, the next "Trackin' Down" (Issue 3) will be launched on June 17th 2011 at the Annual Long Eaton Speedway Reunion and as well as 30+ pages of Geoff's stories, full length interviews with Phil Whittaker and Paul Evitts will also feature.

Well I stand corrected on the year but I was unsure anyway, as for Geoff not riding, agreed on that, he was wearing civvies at the time, but he was there in the pits, probably spannering for Chris. Either way they were both entertainers and the type of characters speedway could well do with today.

TeamBouchard, my cousin had a spell @ Station Rd, Jon Roberts, have you chased him up for your publication yet? Is "Trackin' Down" available online anywhere, if so I'd be happy to pay for a read.

GREAT to see some Division 2 stuff starting to be a bit more prominent. :approve::approve::approve:

No point in saying that I am looking forward to the new Issue - I ALWAYS DO!!!!! :):)

GREAT to see some Division 2 stuff starting to be a bit more prominent. :approve::approve::approve:

No point in saying that I am looking forward to the new Issue - I ALWAYS DO!!!!! :):)

Tony kindly invited me to join the Backtrack team to strengthen the BL2/NL coverage Ian so I'm glad the increase in coverage is noted and hopefully enjoyed. I hope you enjoy the Richard Green piece - he had a great deal to say.

Regards,

Rob McCaffery.

And John Berry's Top 20 Foreigners of the 80s. So who do you reckon came out on top? Let the debate begin, or is it cut and dried?

I would imagine a shoo in for Nielsen, closely followed by Erik. Honourable mentions for Sam, Janno, Tommy K, Jan Andersson, Siggy, Bo, Kai, Armando etc.

NW42 - thanks for the additional information regarding the Belle Vue incident. Geoff didn't mention it in the interview (though, I didn't ask him about it). I'm in touch with Geoff, so will try and get a definitive answer in the next day or so.

Jon was a good lad who didn't have the breaks at the right time. He was in a couple of poor Long Eaton squads and always seemed to be under pressure to perform when he had the odd outing, which was a bit unfair.

As I self-publish the Trackin' Down books, they are not on-line. However, if you go to my website at

http://trackindown.webs.com/

you will find a number of extracts from the interviews which I'm sure you will find interesting.

thanks for the response. I'm sure it is just something that has stuck with me rather than anyone else, including those involved. I remember seeing the pictures in the Star & News the following week, it was news at the time.

Anyway, thanks for the link, I have previously enjoyed an hour or two on your website and you are right in that there is plenty of intresting content. I have left you a message there.

thanks again.

Tony kindly invited me to join the Backtrack team to strengthen the BL2/NL coverage Ian so I'm glad the increase in coverage is noted and hopefully enjoyed. I hope you enjoy the Richard Green piece - he had a great deal to say.

Regards,

Rob McCaffery.

This BackTrack is superb (it usually is) but this one excels. I have been happily reading about the 'good old days' Division 2 style.

Thank you Rob - will this continue - I DO hope so. :):):):approve::approve:

Thought this was a good issue. The article on team management was particularly good, and simply reinforces my belief that team racing is 'real speedway' rather than the one-dimensional individual stuff that seems to be in vogue nowadays. :approve:

For NW42. I got in touch with Geoff and this was his response.

"I think he's been misimformed !!!!! I can remember reading about the incident. You're perfectly right, it certainly wasn't me. I cant see me jumping over the fence to join in , in fact I think I'd probably run the other way!!! I think I had my first ever Div 1 ride at Hyde Rd in 1971 for Cradley. The only other time I might have visited in 1971 would have been to watch the BLRC late on in the season."

So there we have it! I recall seeing 'that' photograph and I wonder if it was Graham Plant who was leaping over the fence!

thanks for checking it out, oh well Geoff's memory has held up better than mine, although I know I've always thought it was him so it's clearly of a case of mistaken identity on my part.

As for Graham Plant, maybe but assuming he was riding that night he would have had leathers on, this character didn't, probably just a mate or brother of one of the riders, come to think of it back then the riders viewing area was always pretty full @ Hyde Rd, plenty of blokes got in with pit passes etc, my dad managed it a couple of times.

Anyway, thanks for clearing it up, makes me wonder just what else I have misremembered, did the Aces really win 3 league titles in a row back then or was it just the way I saw it?

interested to know others thoughts on the top 20 foreigners of the 80s (there sure were a lot of quality riders), there's a separate thread on this in years gone by.

I would imagine a shoo in for Nielsen, closely followed by Erik. Honourable mentions for Sam, Janno, Tommy K, Jan Andersson, Siggy, Bo, Kai, Armando etc.

is your omission of a certain other American from this list deliberate? a hint - I'm sure dirt would have voted him No1!