Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 42

BACKTRACK MAGAZINE

Issue 42 January-February 2011

Look what we have for all you nostalgia fans who loved speedway in the 70s & 80s...

TOP 20 FOREIGNERS OF THE 80s

Of the 10 World Finals staged in the 80s, only England’s Michael Lee and Germany’s Egon Muller – cashing in on home ground at Norden in ’83 – managed to interrupt a decade of domination by three genuine superstars of the sport.

American Bruce Penhall succeeded Lee as World No.1 in 1981, in the last final held at Wembley, before retaining his crown in his native California a year later.

After Penhall suddenly quit racing that year, the sport was monopolised throughout the rest of the 80s by Danes, and Erik Gundersen and Hans Nielsen in particular.

They both won three individual world titles apiece between 1984 and 1989, not to mention a host of World Team Cup and World Pairs gold medals as Denmark emerged as the super power of the decade.

But how to split the top three in a list of Top 20 Foreigners from the 80s? Once again, we’ve entrusted John Berry with that difficult task . . .

BRUCE PENHALL COLUMN

Following on from the Top 20, the American former double World Champion gives his insight into his main rivals of the 80s, including the Great Danes, his fellow Californians and Kenny Carter.

MALCOLM SIMMONS COLUMN

Super Simmo hankers for the return of the Golden Helmet mnatch-race championship and the World Pairs. He also voices his fears for his former club King’s Lynn and runs the rule over the GM engine.

CHRIS & GEOFF PUSEY

He was one of the most colourful characters of the 70s but talented Chris Pusey never fulfilled his enormous potential and died prematurely. We reveal what happened to the Belle Vue and Halifax star who became a near recluse.

We also talk to Geoff Pusey, who has his strong views on what happened to his elder brother, as well as reflecting on his career that took in spells with Belle Vue, Stoke, Long Eaton and his NL title-winning heroics for Middlesbrough.

PETER ADAMS INTERVIEW

In the second of our two-part interview with Peter Adams, the Wolverhampton team manager tells how he came back to the sport, the key to his success, future ambitions, why he has never wanted to manage the Brits, as well as revealing a funny side that few have seen.

AND ANOTHER THING...

Introducing a new series in which we examine the major issues that changed the shape of British speedway during the Backtrack era. This time we look at ‘Foreign Flops’ and the Anzacs who flooded into the British Leagues, including a full list of every Australian and New Zealander who rode here from 1970-90.

RICHARD GREEN INTERVIEW

His never-say-die attitude to racing made him a cult hero at Exeter. But as former King’s Lynn and Mildenhall youngster Richard Green reveals, his hard riding reputation made him a marked man elsewhere.

BERNARD CRAPPER

A tribute to a key man from the Oxford Cheetahs’ glory days whose commitment and caring nature continues to benefit others.

THE ART OF MANAGING

John Berry (along with Ron Bagley) guided Ipswich to back-to-back league titles in the mid-70s before managing England to World Team Cup glory in Poland in 1977. Here he explains the now dying art of team management and names those he rated most highly.

Plus...

Time to salute Briggo, plus Q&As with Geoff Bouchard and Ernst Bogh and more...

To subscribe for £17.50 a year in the UK (the price rises to £20 from Feb 21, so get in quick to save money!, go to http:// www.retro-speedway.com

Edited by tmc

Looks good Tony. I must say, I thought you'd be struggling for material by now. But I couldn't have been more wrong. The top 20s and other discussion pieces have really brought a fresh bit of life to it. I'll particularly look forward to the piece on Richard Green. As someone who grew up on Mort and PC at Hyde Road, I didn't think that my new "home" track of National League Exeter could ever come anywhere near in terms of excitement. But Greeny served up a treat virtually every week in the late 80s/early 90s.

Looks good Tony. I must say, I thought you'd be struggling for material by now. But I couldn't have been more wrong. The top 20s and other discussion pieces have really brought a fresh bit of life to it. I'll particularly look forward to the piece on Richard Green. As someone who grew up on Mort and PC at Hyde Road, I didn't think that my new "home" track of National League Exeter could ever come anywhere near in terms of excitement. But Greeny served up a treat virtually every week in the late 80s/early 90s.

What shone through in the interview was how much Richard cares still for Exeter Speedway and its supporters and how highly they regard him. I hope the published version does justice.

As is often the case wheen looking back to good times, they just didn't last long enough, often for riders as much as the fans.

Regards,

Rob McCaffery.

What shone through in the interview was how much Richard cares still for Exeter Speedway and its supporters and how highly they regard him. I hope the published version does justice.

As is often the case wheen looking back to good times, they just didn't last long enough, often for riders as much as the fans.

Regards,

Rob McCaffery.

i agree rob. when i was a kid just starting out in this great sport, i had two and a bit seasons of racing at west ham and only two years of the lions riding at wembley. losing both were shattering blows to me at the time, but they were great times that i still miss today. :sad:

i agree rob. when i was a kid just starting out in this great sport, i had two and a bit seasons of racing at west ham and only two years of the lions riding at wembley. losing both were shattering blows to me at the time, but they were great times that i still miss today. :sad:

BUT!! - cityrebel - That is the beauty of BackTrack and Classic Speedway Magazines - they CAN and DO bring back the Memories. Even the black and white Photographs evoke thoughts of the GOOD days in British Speedway. I think the Sport was better then - and - these Photographs confirm and reflect that. :approve::approve::approve:

I picked up my copy at Scunthorpe at the weekend there, yet another cracking issue from cover to cover, i thoroughly enjoyed reading it B)