British Speedway Forum
Kevin Meynell

Meeting Format

This brings up what would happen if a junior was injured and the ambulance/doctor

was involved for a lengthy time.

And don't the riders want to race when the track is ( allegedly ) at its best.

I for one would like the two minute warning immediately after the previous race.

Let's have the meeting run as quickly as possible, parents would me more likely to

bring their children to a meeting that ends at 9 rather than 10.

agree with ya comments jack of d :D:D

i wana see 15 heats of speedway in approx 1h 30min inc the interval , 2h max

on a friday nite (oxford) and then go elseware 4 a few beers as the beer is not only crap but expensive ;)

another point the start time 4 a meeting differs a each track, some start the parade at the advertised start time and others start heat 1, this needs 2 b the same at every track in wot ever division!!!!!! :unsure:

Guest dontforgetoturnleft!!

In the elite league each promoter should put up a £ 2000 prize money for the ELRC. After the fifteen heats the top six riders of each side should ride a nine heat individual meeting, three rides each. This could be run after the A fixtures with points being added together to count as qualification to the ELRC final (on a neutral track - which should be Wimbledon!!). There would be a winner takes all £20000 for the winner with the ten tracks dividing the profits from this meeting equally therefore encouraging all tracks to promote this to get there £ 2K back.

After we ban the stupid double rides from the Elite league meetings we would allow riders in the ELRC qualifiers, at their discretion, to risk gaining double points in order by taking the 15 yard handicap.

In the second half of the season we could have a super league in the second half. Four riders a side riding three times each in a six heat meeting with three junior races in between.

Different - but good value for the fans

After the fifteen heats the top six riders of each side should ride a nine heat individual meeting, three rides each.

I like the idea of having a second-half competition to determine the qualifiers for the ELRC or PLRC, but wouldn't the riders be exhausted after riding up to seven heats in the main meeting, and then another three in the individual meeting? In addition, why restrict the second-half to just the top six riders from each team?

I would simply take the seven riders from each team and a couple of juniors and run four knockout heats, with the winners progressing to a Final (much like the old second-halves). That would only require a maximum of two extra rides, and would be cheaper to run as well.

As far as I can see though, the biggest obstacle to such a competition would still be cost.

This could be run after the A fixtures with points being added together to count as qualification to the ELRC final (on a neutral track - which should be Wimbledon!!).

Each track could perhaps also run an individual meeting where riders could get bonus points towards qualification for the Riders' Championship. That might provide more interest in reviving the traditional open meetings.

I stated a couple of years ago, that the second half could be races for qualification for a big meeting. Bring back the Grand Slam or something like it. In any case make the races meaningful.

Two semi-finals plus final for eight top scorers and points towards qualification. Same for the juniors.

Guest clivehitch

When Worky have organised a second-half for juniors probably 80%of the fans don't stay behind to support the youngsters

When Worky have organised a second-half for juniors probably 80%of the fans don't stay behind to support the youngsters

I don't think you can really compare a few scratch races featuring junior riders, with a properly-organised second-half programme. If a meaningful second-half was organised that included the top riders as well, then fans might be willing to stay on.

Even when a team wants a PROPER 2nd half, they can't. I remember a few years ago Sheffield were going to have a Sean Wilson vs Carl Stonehewer (plus others maybe) but due to BSPA red tape, it wa snot allowed to go ahead. WHY? A rider who has rode in the main meeting cannot ride in the 2nd half!

Whats the point of that rule?

Whats the point of that rule?

I can only think it's because tracks putting on decent second-halves would show-up others. Presumably there's a concern that using riders from the main match would increase costs, which not all tracks could afford.

I'm not sure that a return to the old 13+7 heat format is desirable, but it would be nice to see a properly-organised competition after the main match. This could be part of a season-long national competition.