British Speedway Forum

It doesn't matter when they chose for the re-stage, people would still moan.

Say they left next Friday as it is, which is a boiling hot day with no rain, and stuck the Semi in at a later date. It gets rained off again. The British Final comes looming. Fans go mad that next Friday wasn't used.

Options:

Postpone the British Final from the date it was advertised as.

Move the Semi, that was advertised as being at Scunthorpe, to another track.

Try to run next Friday to ensure the best chance at getting a lineup for the British Final.

Wait over a week to try running the Semi and risk running out of time due to the wonderful British weather.

Run it on a completely random day of the week in front of 6 blokes and a dog.

They've chosen the best option, but whichever option they went with it would cause moaning from somebody.

Carry on :)

Yes, so here's another. Coventry's meeting with Lakeside will now be minus Edward Kennett, Lee Richardson and Stuart Robson. So Cov may be forced to line up with a guest for their number 1 and rider replacement for their number 2 whilst Lakeside use a guest for ex. Coventry Lee Richardson and a weaker rider at reserve than the ex. Coventry rider they would probably have used. I can see the crowds flocking to Brandon for this one!

In my opinion running two of these meetings is a waste of time and I suspect they do not exist to ensure as many riders as possible get a chance to qualify for the British Final but rather as a little money spinner for the BSPA and staging track who hope that predominantly Premier League supprters will come flocking to Sheffield and Scunthorpe to see Harris, Nicholls, Richardson, Kennett, Woffinden, Stead and Bridger (riders they seldom get a chance to see). Certainly Britain does not have the depth of talent to justify two of these meetings.

Why riders like Harris, Nicholls, Kennett, Woffinden etc are forced to do them is beyond me. This meeting can only be a potential banana skin for these riders who already have a hectic fixture list. If they don't make it through their semi (which would probably only happen due to mechanical issues or injury) it seriously de-values the British Final. Like the farcical situation last year when we had a British Final run at Wolverhampton without Tai Woffinden - our second British GP rider at the time - because his semi-final was rained off before the meeting had run its course and he had an engine failure in his second of three rides).

Seed the eight top-averaged GB riders direct to the British Final and run one qualifier right at the beginning of the season for the next top 16 in the averages. That way, anyone in the top 24 of British riders gets a shot of riding in the British Final and fixture disruption is kept to a minimum.

It doesn't matter when they chose for the re-stage, people would still moan.

Say they left next Friday as it is, which is a boiling hot day with no rain, and stuck the Semi in at a later date. It gets rained off again. The British Final comes looming. Fans go mad that next Friday wasn't used.

Options:

Postpone the British Final from the date it was advertised as.

Move the Semi, that was advertised as being at Scunthorpe, to another track.

Try to run next Friday to ensure the best chance at getting a lineup for the British Final.

Wait over a week to try running the Semi and risk running out of time due to the wonderful British weather.

Run it on a completely random day of the week in front of 6 blokes and a dog.

They've chosen the best option, but whichever option they went with it would cause moaning from somebody.

Carry on :)

Squall, though a charlatan, is truly "the voice of reason". :wink:

Yes, so here's another. Coventry's meeting with Lakeside will now be minus Edward Kennett, Lee Richardson and Stuart Robson. So Cov may be forced to line up with a guest for their number 1 and rider replacement for their number 2 whilst Lakeside use a guest for ex. Coventry Lee Richardson and a weaker rider at reserve than the ex. Coventry rider they would probably have used. I can see the crowds flocking to Brandon for this one!

In my opinion running two of these meetings is a waste of time and I suspect they do not exist to ensure as many riders as possible get a chance to qualify for the British Final but rather as a little money spinner for the BSPA and staging track who hope that predominantly Premier League supprters will come flocking to Sheffield and Scunthorpe to see Harris, Nicholls, Richardson, Kennett, Woffinden, Stead and Bridger (riders they seldom get a chance to see). Certainly Britain does not have the depth of talent to justify two of these meetings.

Why riders like Harris, Nicholls, Kennett, Woffinden etc are forced to do them is beyond me. This meeting can only be a potential banana skin for these riders who already have a hectic fixture list. If they don't make it through their semi (which would probably only happen due to mechanical issues or injury) it seriously de-values the British Final. Like the farcical situation last year when we had a British Final run at Wolverhampton without Tai Woffinden - our second British GP rider at the time - because his semi-final was rained off before the meeting had run its course and he had an engine failure in his second of three rides).

Seed the eight top-averaged GB riders direct to the British Final and run one qualifier right at the beginning of the season for the next top 16 in the averages. That way, anyone in the top 24 of British riders gets a shot of riding in the British Final and fixture disruption is kept to a minimum.

On the other hand......... :unsure:

I like Squall's post, but I also like G the Bee's post. But which is best ?

Only one way to find out......... FIIGGHT !

:lol:

Totally agree, the fact that they're having 2 qualifiers and then leaving space for even 1 WildCard in the final just makes a mockery of the whole thing. Everyone knows there is only about 5/6 Brits at EL level and a few hovering about the level between leagues, so seed 8 and leave 8 from 1 qualifier.

So which meetings takes priority? the League ones or rearranged semi's?

Also can an injured rider If now fit, replace his replacement?

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut

So which meetings takes priority? the League ones or rearranged semi's?

I would say the British semi final is priority unless the rider wishes to withdraw.

The rider who was injured (Tai I assume) shouldn't get his place back, it should be the riders who were ready for tapes up on Friday imo.

I asked my dad the same question on Friday (well not much else to do standing in the rain for 2 hours :P) and he said he thinks the injured riders, if fit, regain their place

You can add Leigh Lanham to the list as well. Newport are riding at Edinburgh on Friday which, in turn, prevents Lakeside's other DU reserve, Kyle Legault from turning out for them as well. You can't even switch riders around as Lakeside are at Peterborough on Thursday, the same day as the first semi at Sheffield.

Edited by tocha

Don't think that Rob has had a lot of luck with recent showpiece events, has he ?

Fingers crossed for this Friday night ;)

Bad luck it is and then to by hit by a £300 fine by spoilt brat acting like an over weight child of a ref is pathetic

To kick a man when he is down just sums up what an utter baffoon that ref is

Next time that Wayne Kerr is at scunny ill pelt him with a pear drop

Bad luck it is and then to by hit by a £300 fine by spoilt brat acting like an over weight child of a ref is pathetic

To kick a man when he is down just sums up what an utter baffoon that ref is

Next time that Wayne Kerr is at scunny ill pelt him with a pear drop

I have to agree Montie. That ref should be big enough to deal with an opinion.

Rob should be entitled to an opinion & should have the right to express it.

He wasn't thinking of himself, he was also thinking of the fans, the riders, other clubs, fixtures.

I doubt the referee has thought or cared about the impact of it, whilst I imagine Rob would have.

Edited by shirlmeister general