British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
yesterdaysman

Here's One For The Buffs.

I have in my possession a postcard posted 6th October 1947, in Maidenhead Berks, to Mr G.H. Cole, (Howard Snr.) with a message as follows: (bit difficult to decipher!)

Mon.6th Oct. J.C. Yates, 69, Halifax Rd. Pinkneys Green, Maidenhead, Berks.

Dear George! (it is George isn't it) I'm sorry I never sent off that Telegram until late in the afternoon but Marshall never let me know until lunch time on Sat! I'm riding for Cradley at Wombwell this coming Fri. the 10th so arranged with Marshall over the phone yesterday to get my bike taken over there. Of course they will set off from the workshops at Walsall so do you think you could get my bike over there by Thursday. If I can arrange a lift o.k. from Birmingham I'll be up the workshops myself Friday as it's none too easy to get from here to Wombwell, also my leathers are at the track. What I shall probably do is to come up to the workshops and chance a lift, Cheerio, all the best Johnny.

Now, this seems to me a bit of a hit & miss preparation, so I'm thinking our man is a second halfer being given a chance, or just making up the numbers for a long away trip! Anyone have info on this?

I have in my possession a postcard posted 6th October 1947, in Maidenhead Berks, to Mr G.H. Cole, (Howard Snr.) with a message as follows: (bit difficult to decipher!)

Mon.6th Oct. J.C. Yates, 69, Halifax Rd. Pinkneys Green, Maidenhead, Berks.

Dear George! (it is George isn't it) I'm sorry I never sent off that Telegram until late in the afternoon but Marshall never let me know until lunch time on Sat! I'm riding for Cradley at Wombwell this coming Fri. the 10th so arranged with Marshall over the phone yesterday to get my bike taken over there. Of course they will set off from the workshops at Walsall so do you think you could get my bike over there by Thursday. If I can arrange a lift o.k. from Birmingham I'll be up the workshops myself Friday as it's none too easy to get from here to Wombwell, also my leathers are at the track. What I shall probably do is to come up to the workshops and chance a lift, Cheerio, all the best Johnny.

Now, this seems to me a bit of a hit & miss preparation, so I'm thinking our man is a second halfer being given a chance, or just making up the numbers for a long away trip! Anyone have info on this?

John Yates rode at reserve for Birmingham in a few meetings in 1947. He was selected to ride for Cradley at Wombwell in a challenge match on 10.10.47. He was programmed at number one, failed to score in heat one and was replaced in his other rides. I believe this was his only appearance for Cradley in 1947. He also appeared for Wombwell at home to Exeter on 16th May 1947, but failed to score in two reserve rides.

www.speedwayatoz.co.uk

YATES, John Canning

Born: January 28, 1925, London, England.*

A war time paratrooper, John was the younger brother of Fred Yates and joined Fred at the Belle Vue Training School in 1947. He actually started that season in the ‘Aces’ team but made way after just three appearances to accommodate new signing Brian Wilson before moving on to have short spells with Wombwell and Birmingham. Like so many juniors from the Hyde Road track, John ended up at Coventry when the Third Division was introduced to Brandon in 1948 and he was to spend the majority of the rest of his career with the ‘Bees’. He made 136 official appearances for the club, although he never rose above a second string role, and also had two spells at St. Austell where he proved to be a popular and occasionally useful performer in Division Three.