British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
all4backin

Colts V Scunthorpe 23rd March

What will be interesting is this could be the first chance to see what the difference is between new/old silencers in the same meeting.

The NL has been exempt from having to use the new silencers and with a few current PL riders riding what will they use.

Should be a great meeting this,i think Scunthorpe will just edge it,will be close though

Hey still want that bet U21's with Richie, i see he's in great news ! (only joking about the bet) i think it will be a great night come on you Saints!!!

Hey still want that bet U21's with Richie, i see he's in great news ! (only joking about the bet) i think it will be a great night come on you Saints!!!

yep,bet still on!!!

I'm still gutted at the loss of our Saints team....yes I see it as a loss as I only get to see five meetings. A Sheffield fan pointed out to me last week that they (Sheffield) has it all now ..A first team, a reserve team a N/L team and a training track. Rub it in why dont you attitude. As for the Belle vue meeting thats the one I really wanted to see as our Byron captains their team.....Alas wont get to see it!

Not too long ago you had no Saints team to lose and got to see NO meetings. How short a memory you must have.

Think of the experience the young lads will get, rather than how bad it is for you. :mad:

I knew you'd reply squall!.......I can assure you that I have not got a short memory. I am old enough to have supported the Saints at Quibel Park from the seventies. we got booted from there to Ashbyville when it was the Stags, got closed down from there and had no speedway until Mr Godfrey opened it up again at Normanby Rd. He has done a brill job for speedway and I would never knock him, however watching the youngsters has been so pleasurable for the last 6 years. I am gutted and I cant help that. maybe if the boot was on the other foot you'd feel the same. I have always wanted whats best for the youngsters of this country as I would love to see the brits as strong as they were in the days of Peter Collins etc. I will still be behind the youngsters when I'm watching my 5 meetings and wish every single one of them the best of luck.

I know exactly how you feel June, I too am also gutted, I have tried my very best to support the venture, but I just see it as us losing our saints, and in no way can I bring myself to support Sheffield :( If Sheffield were sharing their Tigers team with us, then maybe they'd know how it feels.

But it's purely for financial reasons! if the club would've carried on losing money with the Saints then they may be no saints at all and i think it's unfair to expect the management to try and keep two clubs afloat. I think some of you need to realize just how lucky you are you've got your own track, training track, the scorpions and still get a bit of national league racing as well, i bet plenty of fans who're without a teams would kill to be in the position your in , but it just isn't enough is it? :mad:

I recognise all of what you are saying, but I can't help the way that I feel, as I'm sure you would in the same position.

I recognise all of what you are saying, but I can't help the way that I feel, as I'm sure you would in the same position.

I'd be absolutely fine with it as i would have the tigers to follow week in, week out and still get a small amount of national racing. I think the main reason I'm frustrated is because there's been a perfectly good reason set out and whether we like it or lump it, they're a business first.

At this time I'm just glad I've got 1 team to follow! and I'm very grateful of our own management for keeping the Tigers going :approve:

I have a lot of respect for Rob Godfrey, he's built a successful speedway venue from the ground up and one of the most exciting speedway tracks. But at a time when speedway isn't as profitable as it once was and when everyone's feeling the pinch to save money then it's understandable for him to take the help from Sheffield and take some weight off his shoulders. I'm sure it's not a decision he wanted to make but it'll probably be for the best in the long run.

I'd be absolutely fine with it as i would have the tigers to follow week in, week out and still get a small amount of national racing. I think the main reason I'm frustrated is because there's been a perfectly good reason set out and whether we like it or lump it, they're a business first.

At this time I'm just glad I've got 1 team to follow! and I'm very grateful of our own management for keeping the Tigers going :approve:

I have a lot of respect for Rob Godfrey, he's built a successful speedway venue from the ground up and one of the most exciting speedway tracks. But at a time when speedway isn't as profitable as it once was and when everyone's feeling the pinch to save money then it's understandable for him to take the help from Sheffield and take some weight off his shoulders. I'm sure it's not a decision he wanted to make but it'll probably be for the best in the long run.

You will have to find us some assets now SKJ!!!!!

Just to add a bit more spice to the above 'argument' :wink: it's officially Sheffield to race tomorrow as BV are at Owlerton in a double-header with IOW later on in the season.

Anyway as a fan of neither Scunny or Sheffield I can certainly sympathise with what June & Leoni has said (especially with 6 of the 7 being Saints) but if it financially keeps a NL side running, and develops some quality riders then surely that is the most important?

I think that we need to look at the history between Scunthorpe and Sheffield.

In years gone by when Sheffield were a British League team and Scunthorpe National League Sheffield sent riders to ride for Scunny, who from that era were Scunny legends, Phil White and Nicky Allott spring to mind, and I am sure there were others but those two are the main ones.

Since the formation of the Scorpions in the National League Sheffield have also sent riders for Scorpions in the National League, and wonder how many Scorpion fans celebrated the Pairs win in 2006, when they won with two Sheffield riders Cooper and Compton.

Moving onto the Scorpions in the Premier League, Sheffield have provided Scunthorpe 6 of their assets since 2008, Richard Hall, Benji Compton, Emiliano Sanchez, Andy Moore, Joel Parsons and Ben Wilson.

Moving on to the present, this is an excellent chance for the lads who are in the team, not only are they riding two totally different tracks, but I believe Sheffield are entering a team in the Midland League, which will give further opportunties to lower end riders in the team, and racing other tracks that are entered in the league I believe that likes of Leicester and Birmingham are also entered so more racing opportunites for young riders, which is what the youngsters need more than anything else.

I dont disgree with what your saying spinking but that is the system. If you do not require an asset to ride for your own team you loan them out. Riders need to earn a living! You mention Phil White, one of my favourites. I have watched all those riders mentioned. Other Saints/Stags was loaned from other teams too, Infact isn't that what Scunny are now doing with Richie & Ashley, Byron, Scott, Luke, possibly Magnus too. However, it is very obvious that Mr Machin and Mr Godfrey are really good buddies and possibly have thoughts, feelings that differ to some of us. In the past we have come in useful to Sheffield with our track for team practice, so its not exactly all one way :)

I dont disgree with what your saying spinking but that is the system. If you do not require an asset to ride for your own team you loan them out. Riders need to earn a living! You mention Phil White, one of my favourites. I have watched all those riders mentioned. Other Saints/Stags was loaned from other teams too, Infact isn't that what Scunny are now doing with Richie & Ashley, Byron, Scott, Luke, possibly Magnus too. However, it is very obvious that Mr Machin and Mr Godfrey are really good buddies and possibly have thoughts, feelings that differ to some of us. In the past we have come in useful to Sheffield with our track for team practice, so its not exactly all one way :)

Of course June, I track back to riders that Sheffield brought in from the past from Scunthorpe Keith Evans and Tony Boyle are two that spring to mind.

The clubs have a long history of working together, long before Neil Machin and Rob Godfrey came onto the scene.

The thing is that the National League (Conference as it was then) is not new to Sheffield we did have a very fine set up with the Prowlers who were very much the Saints of that time, but because we did not have the facilities and have the ownership of the stadium that Scunthorpe have and finances mean't that the Prowlers had to go.

I don't know what the agreement that the two promotions have over signing riders, I am sure that Sheffield might pick up the odd rider, but down to the facilities and amount of track time that a rider might get at Scuthorpe that the vast majority will choose Scunthorpe.

I can fully understand the worries of some of the Scunthorpe fans, but Neil is type of Promoter who thinks very similar to Rob Godfrey, and always encourages young British rider.

Just a thought maybe call the joint team simply "Saints", keeps it identity from Scunthorpe but does not have to change the name from Scunthorpe Saints to Sheffield Prowlers dependent on where they are riding.

I think that we need to look at the history between Scunthorpe and Sheffield.

In years gone by when Sheffield were a British League team and Scunthorpe National League Sheffield sent riders to ride for Scunny, who from that era were Scunny legends, Phil White and Nicky Allott spring to mind, and I am sure there were others but those two are the main ones.

Since the formation of the Scorpions in the National League Sheffield have also sent riders for Scorpions in the National League, and wonder how many Scorpion fans celebrated the Pairs win in 2006, when they won with two Sheffield riders Cooper and Compton.

Moving onto the Scorpions in the Premier League, Sheffield have provided Scunthorpe 6 of their assets since 2008, Richard Hall, Benji Compton, Emiliano Sanchez, Andy Moore, Joel Parsons and Ben Wilson.

Moving on to the present, this is an excellent chance for the lads who are in the team, not only are they riding two totally different tracks, but I believe Sheffield are entering a team in the Midland League, which will give further opportunties to lower end riders in the team, and racing other tracks that are entered in the league I believe that likes of Leicester and Birmingham are also entered so more racing opportunites for young riders, which is what the youngsters need more than anything else.

Not too much history then..tbh the past is exactly that, past,gone, forgotten about. Sheffield means nothing to me, never has and never will. Likewise Scunthorpe will mean very little to Sheffield fans.

I believe this venture is perhaps more to do with track availability than simply finance..obviously finance will enter the equation but with more stockcar nights planned this year it will inevitably mean less nights for speedway. If thats the case fine, the promotion have to do whats best for their business, if that means running a few home meetings elsewhere..so be it, I've no problem with that. However, for some die hard scunny fans (and I know a few), news of this merger has been little hard to swallow. Some of whom have sponsored or helped in little ways towards riders costs etc, to them it feels like they've losing their own. Its been difficult, its been disheartening to the point that they're battling to recapture any enthusiasm they once had for speedway....sad.

So when our lads line up at Belle Vue, call them whatever, i'll be sat infront of my laptop cheering on the mighty Saints..

Edited by Albert