British Speedway Forum

I have no problem with us not being in if the fact that Doyle, Gjedde and Sedgmen didnt ride enough meetings at the cut off date.

What I do have a problem with is how Leicester will track a team of Karlsson, Bager, Nieminen and Bondarenko despite three of them signing well under a month ago. Theres no way Leicester as hosts will field a team of Bondarenko, graversen, Oliver and Wright.

That is what my argument is, if Leicester do field their bottom 4 riders then fair enough but we all know that wont happen. The sport is a farce.

I have no problem with us not being in if the fact that Doyle, Gjedde and Sedgmen didnt ride enough meetings at the cut off date.

What I do have a problem with is how Leicester will track a team of Karlsson, Bager, Nieminen and Bondarenko despite three of them signing well under a month ago. Theres no way Leicester as hosts will field a team of Bondarenko, graversen, Oliver and Wright.

That is what my argument is, if Leicester do field their bottom 4 riders then fair enough but we all know that wont happen. The sport is a farce.

There lies the biggest problem . Most Newport fans might be upset , but can kind of understand that maybe Gjedde , Doyle and Sedgmen might have been signed too late for them to be included .

However if the hosts are then allowed to use Neiminen , Bagar and Karlsson it flies in the face of all known qualifying criteria . Ok nobody wants to force the hosts to field a ridiculously weak foursome , but it's a big problem for the organisers - though it's one of their own making . But no doubt they'll just stick their heads in the sand and ignore any difficult questions .

My mathematics are correct, unless they do it differently in Sheffield?

we don't do maths any different in sheffield but we do check who is eligible BEFORE doing the adding up!!!!

leicester are in it as HOSTS ie/ to make the event financially viable eg/ does anyone remember englands most glorious summer 1966 - we DIDN'T qualify for that event - we were in it as hosts (as is every world cup hosting country).

It was confirmed to me last week that Leicester are unable to use Nemo and Karlson as will not have rode enough matches by the meeting date.

The team will likely be Bager,Bondarenko,Oliver,Graverson and Wright as reserve.

There was also some doubt on Lasse Bjerre as meant to be riding in Poland

There lies the biggest problem . Most Newport fans might be upset , but can kind of understand that maybe Gjedde , Doyle and Sedgmen might have been signed too late for them to be included .

However if the hosts are then allowed to use Neiminen , Bagar and Karlsson it flies in the face of all known qualifying criteria . Ok nobody wants to force the hosts to field a ridiculously weak foursome , but it's a big problem for the organisers - though it's one of their own making . But no doubt they'll just stick their heads in the sand and ignore any difficult questions .

Im sure there will be some kind if subsection in the rulebook that covers the Leicester situation very nicely.IMO if Newport get into the Fours they should be able to use their best 4.

Wonder if the BSPA have ever thought of qualifiers for the Fours,you never know they may be popular meetings.

It was confirmed to me last week that Leicester are unable to use Nemo and Karlson as will not have rode enough matches by the meeting date.

The team will likely be Bager,Bondarenko,Oliver,Graverson and Wright as reserve.

If bager is riding then Doyle, Sedgmen and Gjedde should be able to.

All 3 signed for Newport way before Bager and have ridden in more meetings for us.

No Rye House Rockets, which is a blessing, cos now have an excuse not to go!

Not suprised Newcastle arnt in it with half a team, would rather someone else give it a go rather than us making up the numbers.....The communication between the Bspa and the fans is nothing short of appauling tho, for Christ sake just tell us the criteria for qualifying at the start of the season instead of keeping us constantly in the dark and treating the sports MOST important people like sh!t......for once.....please.

I think it's obvious why Newport and Berwick are not in the fours and it's because their teams at that time didn't have their new signings riding enough meetings. Ipswich seem to be in due to Lemon's absence. Not sure whether Sweetman would be eligible for Glasgow as Grajczonek seems to be the qualifying rider as of 1/7/11. Equally Leicester may have to track a team of reserves!!

Correct, Alden hasn't ridden enough meetings. Having said that even if he had, we still wouldn't have qualified probably.

Im sure there will be some kind if subsection in the rulebook that covers the Leicester situation very nicely.IMO if Newport get into the Fours they should be able to use their best 4.

Wonder if the BSPA have ever thought of qualifiers for the Fours,you never know they may be popular meetings.

The Northern promoters used to try to get a return for them every year, but the Southern promoters said they didn't have the same interest and that the meetings were too costly to stage. Even an offer of 'well you nomiate yours and we'll hold our qualifying meetings' was always voted out. :lol:

Surely Bager (with only 4 rides all after 1/7/11) couldn't be considered if the before 1/7/11 criteria is being applied and Charles Wright only completed 3 meetings before 1/7/11 that leaves Bondarenko,Oliver,Graverson so the hosts will be doing a Russia SWC event 2 then :rolleyes:

Edited by bornagainlion

The issue over the Leicester team is a simple one, in my opinion. As a quartet, their top four haven't ridden enough matches for their averages to count towards qualification, and the riders that have wouldn't see their total reach the cut-off. HOWEVER, Leicester are hosts, and that's where the issue lies - for a track as new as Leicester to hold an event without a home team would be silly at best, and so the team is in. Is it fair? Probably not, but don't blame Leicester. And if they win? Good luck to them.

The Northern promoters used to try to get a return for them every year, but the Southern promoters said they didn't have the same interest and that the meetings were too costly to stage. Even an offer of 'well you nomiate yours and we'll hold our qualifying meetings' was always voted out. :lol:

How would 14 go into 4?

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick, Workington

Newcastle, Redcar, Scunthorpe, Sheffield

Plymouth, Somerset, Newport, ?

Ipswich, Rye House, Leicester, ?

Perhaps the two gaps could be filled with forward-thinking NL teams - Dudley and Mildenhall? Or even weakened EL teams, such as Swindon & Lakeside (who wouldn't be able to qualify)?

Edited by alan_boon

The issue over the Leicester team is a simple one, in my opinion. As a quartet, their top four haven't ridden enough matches for their averages to count towards qualification, and the riders that have wouldn't see their total reach the cut-off. HOWEVER, Leicester are hosts, and that's where the issue lies - for a track as new as Leicester to hold an event without a home team would be silly at best, and so the team is in. Is it fair? Probably not, but don't blame Leicester. And if they win? Good luck to them.

It was inevitable someone would post that Leicester are the hosts , so the rules don't apply to them . To be honest , i really don't care too much about this event so if Leicester have their strongest foursome - as you say , good luck to them .

How would 14 go into 4?

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick, Workington

Newcastle, Redcar, Scunthorpe, Sheffield

Plymouth, Somerset, Newport, ?

Ipswich, Rye House, Leicester, ?

Perhaps the two gaps could be filled with forward-thinking NL teams - Dudley and Mildenhall? Or even weakened EL teams, such as Swindon & Lakeside (who wouldn't be able to qualify)?

Leicester would qualify automatically as hosts , so wouldn't be involved in the qualifiers which would leave -

North Glasgow , Edinburgh , Berwick , Newcastle

Midlandsish - Workington , Redcar , Scunthorpe , Sheffield

South - Plymouth , Somerset , Newport , Rye House , Ipswich .

The southern section would see each side race a home fixture , but miss one of the away tracks .

Top two from each group , plus the best third placed team would join Leicester in the final .

Edited by Paulco

2 groups of 5 and 1 of 4. In the groups of 5 each team will miss 1 of the away legs. It'd make sense t try an get the teams with a clash of race day to not ride at each others tracks, eg Somerset wouldn't ride at Plymouth and vica-versa. Same with Redcar and Sheffield plus Berwick/Workington or Newcastle/Glasgow.